Mr Cue

Pizza, Revisited

This past weekend I scored a nicely seasoned Pampered Chef Family Heritage Collection pizza stone for a mere dollar! After the last stone I bought shattered on the Akorn, I thought I'd try this one in the oven instead. I started out this morning with Jerri's no-knead pizza dough, the recipe is so simple I was able to make it from memory! I split the dough into two balls, floured them, and rolled one out on the stone. I had some so so ingredients to work with here as this was just an experiment and I didn't want to commit much to the cook moneywise.

So, I made sauce with some tomato paste, thinned out with water, added garlic, sugar, salt, and some dried Italian seasoning along with a few drops of light olive oil. Simmered and set aside. The cheese was just some store brand shredded mozzarella;I found some mini pepperonis, from pizza lunchables of all things, and tossed some "facon" crumbles on there. Actually, it was the real bacon but already cooked. The oven was preheated to 500°F about 1 hour before the cook and the stone was not preheated as per the manufacture's instruction.

About 8 minutes later, I had what was to be my first successful stone baked pizza and as good or better than something you'd pay $10 for at a chain store considering the sub-par ingredients I had to use. So, I decided to make a stromboli with the second dough ball and brush it with garlic butter when it came out, it was awesome as well! I can't wait to get some better ingredients and make some more pies although I won't be putting this stone on the Kamado. I'm still going to order a California Pizza stone at some point to use on that as it will withstand the heat and direct flame as most of these thinner stones say will not. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0704_zps5b2dfb37.jpg

DSC_0709_zps5965af75.jpg

DSC_0716_zps8298eafd.jpg

Pizza and stromboli looks good.

I have a cheap thin pizza stone from Bed Bath and Beyond. I definitely put it through some high heat with the Lobster pizza, came out fine.

An interesting note: My Akorn Smoking Stone was a bit "stained" before that cook. After a 700* cook it self cleaned and is now as white as the day I bought it. Wasn't expecting that or I would have done before and after pictures.

Why safe in the oven but not the kamado?? 500* is 500* regardless of the appliance used.

Why safe in the oven but not the kamado?? 500* is 500* regardless of the appliance used.

Here's what Pampered Chef states: Microwave-, freezer-, conventional and convection oven-safe.

Kamados or charcoal grills are not listed. Kamados can get much hotter than any kitchen oven. Pampered Chef gives no maximumn temperature, but if you search for it, 450*F keeps popping up. I don't know why or where that figure comes from. I cook my Pizzas a lot hotter than that. 

As Andy mentioned, they are not recommended for direct heat or grill use. I put it on the top rack at the highest level and didn't preheat. When I finished the cook, I turned the oven off, opened the door a bit, and left the stone in there with no issues. The California stones were tested with a Propane weed burner shooting an unregulated flame at it for 20 minutes plus and had barely a mark on it so I'll get one of those for kamado pizza. This one is several years old and has only ever seen the oven, I won't chance ruining it.

Looks delicious. Pizza is good with almost anything on it. I made one the other day with an onion confit on the base, smattering of mozzarella, fresh sliced tomatoes and a smattering of pesto. The crust was almost a cracker and the pizza was wonderful. No more red sauce for me. It gives me heartburn anyway!

I've made it on the grate before and it came out ok but not like this. The stone wicks the moisture from the crust so it crisps. I never got a crispy crust that wasn't burned without using a stone.

I also tried it a couple times.....never again! I'm all about ceramic stones. I don't care for the CI or steel ones either.