Can't Remove Ash Catcher!

That's one thing I'm becoming aware of on these cookers. You CAN get them hot enough to damage them. I guess I'm lucky I didn't burn mine out doing the pizza at 700+ degrees.

John, after cooking for about a year on the Vision, and a number of years on the small BGE, I believe that this is the case, to a certain extent, of all kamados, possibly w the exception on Kamodo kamado. I have learned that when you put a full load of lump, and leave the bottom vent and the top vent fully open, do not leave it unattended. Mine shot up to nearly a thousand degrees once before I shut down the vents. My firebox has a couple hairline cracks, something that is common, even with BGEs. I took fire box out and cleaned inside real good, and I noticed the very very small, what pear to be hairline cracks in the ceramic, they don't go all the way through, they don't seem to be spreading anywhere, but I'm pretty sure they see caused from when I let the temp get out of control. As a rule, I run it on a small amount of coals, like my burgers last night, maybe two thirds a chimney of charcoal, which is all it needs. With a premium lump filled to capacity, I'm sure these things get up to 12[-1300 degrees down in that fire box, defiantly enough heat affect even the best ceramic or metal cookers.

... But, I must ad to my previous post, over the long haul, ceramic will hold up better than metal. If you live anywhere near the coast, you have to also contend with rust, which will destroy your metal grill quicker than anything else. And I'm sure there are varying qualities of ceramics out there. Judging from my observations, I would say that ceramic quality and overall build quality is highest in Kamado Kamado, the gold standard. From there, I would say Kamado Joe is second, Green Egg is third, Grill Dome is fourth. I would probably place Vision Classic grill slightly ahead of the other Chinese imports, such as Dragon Fly, Academy, Safire, etc. mainly because they come with some vary nice accessories including double rack, high quality nest and cover, and not to mention a lifetime replacement guarantee from Costco.

• 1 month later...
... But, I must ad to my previous post, over the long haul, ceramic will hold up better than metal. If you live anywhere near the coast, you have to also contend with rust, which will destroy your metal grill quicker than anything else. And I'm sure there are varying qualities of ceramics out there. Judging from my observations, I would say that ceramic quality and overall build quality is highest in Kamado Kamado, the gold standard. From there, I would say Kamado Joe is second, Green Egg is third, Grill Dome is fourth. I would probably place Vision Classic grill slightly ahead of the other Chinese imports, such as Dragon Fly, Academy, Safire, etc. mainly because they come with some vary nice accessories including double rack, high quality nest and cover, and not to mention a lifetime replacement guarantee from Costco.

What should one look for in a Kamado? Inside glazing, no cracks, no chips, what type of ceramic and how to identify the type of ceramic?

The first thing I would look at, especially if you're looking at a second hand grill, is cracks in the ceramics. Check out the fire box, it is pretty common for fire boxes to crack. The Naked Whiz, on his site, actually talks about his BGE that has a firebox broken in three pieces, but still cooks great. The hinge mechanism that holds on the lid is very different on various kamados. This is one thing BGE got right. On the lower price K's, you will notice the hinge is not quite as solid as BGE. It's kinda like slamming the door on a Mercedes and a Chevy. Both close fine, but the Mercedes feels much more solid and substantial. Look it over for overall air tightness. The more air tight the better. I've talked to green egg owners who say their cookers are so well sealed that when they shut down the vents to real in the temp, after a few minutes if you lift the lid you can actually hear the swish of the air rush, and it creates a fire backdraft that will knock you on your butt if you're not careful.

I have always known about the "flash" but never had one until the other night, I opend the CGK and had one. Thank goodness it was not a heavy lid, it might of broke when I dropped the lid. It did it twice that night - and yes I followed the 5 second rule.

I've done several cooks on the new Akorn and eally like it. Small problem though. I can't remove the ash catcher. I've tapped it with a hammer and jerked and twisted to no avail. Any ideas?

powerpig. Mine got stuck too after doing a butt and all the oil and grease went down the sides and onto the seal. i pried it loose with a flathead screwdriver. be gentle though and make sure you pry from the bottom of the sel and not the top or you will pull it loose from the rivets.