Can't Remove Ash Catcher!

I've done several cooks on the new Akorn and eally like it. Small problem though. I can't remove the ash catcher. I've tapped it with a hammer and jerked and twisted to no avail. Any ideas?

powerpig. Mine got stuck too after doing a butt and all the oil and grease went down the sides and onto the seal. i pried it loose with a flathead screwdriver. be gentle though and make sure you pry from the bottom of the sel and not the top or you will pull it loose from the rivets.

Would a quick spray of PAM help prevent this as an issue?

I've done several cooks on the new Akorn and eally like it. Small problem though. I can't remove the ash catcher. I've tapped it with a hammer and jerked and twisted to no avail. Any ideas?

powerpig. Mine got stuck too after doing a butt and all the oil and grease went down the sides and onto the seal. i pried it loose with a flathead screwdriver. be gentle though and make sure you pry from the bottom of the sel and not the top or you will pull it loose from the rivets.

I had not even thought of the seal area gunking up. Yesterday I did have to chop and scrape the ash grate out. It was glued to the fire bowl with an ash and grease combination.

If the grease has caked or dried hard, try warm the grease with a heat gun or wait for a hot day. Scrape off excess grease from the inside wall and center slide holder. A plastic putty knife is my usually too for cleaning grease off pans.

How to judge the quality of the ceramic, before it gets hairline cracks? Is there a low cost firepot replacement?

If the grease has caked or dried hard, try warm the grease with a heat gun or wait for a hot day. Scrape off excess grease from the inside wall and center slide holder. A plastic putty knife is my usually too for cleaning grease off pans.

How to judge the quality of the ceramic, before it gets hairline cracks? Is there a low cost firepot replacement?

That is brilliant checking on the price of the ceramic fire pot before buying a ceramic cooker. I had not thought of that. It does seem to be one of the things people often talk about breaking .

I once bought a heavy duty commercial vacuum cheap at a thrift store and the bags were $5 each and not that big. I did not use it much.