Grilling with the Char-Griller Akorn - adequate grates?

Nebulous

I recently replaced my 20 year-old rinky dinky Brinkman horizontal smoker/grill with a Char-Griller Akorn komado. I bought it primarily for slow smoking. Knocked out some incredible pulled pork shoulder and brisket last weekend! I love the design of the Akorn (it's my first komado) for slow smoking.

But I prefer to have just one grill/smoker and am concerned about how well it will work for standard grilling, such as hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, fish, etc. My concern is the distance between the fire and the grate. The grate isn't adjustable, and it's raised up pretty high.I'm not sure I could sear meat, for instance, and I'm not sure I could cook a steak quickly enough to turn out a perfect medium rare.

What are your experiences? And advice? I hoped to find a secondary grate online that would sit on the diffuser (pizza stone) holders, but no luck.

All anecdotes and advice are highly appreciated!

jb

You can buy a Weber 18.5 inch replacement grate that will fit below the main grate. That will bring you closer to the fire for searing, etc. Check on Amazon or a local store.

Good luck and happy grilling. Congrats on your Akorn purchase, and welcome to the forum!

You can put a weber grate on the tabs. That is what most people put their diffusers on. If you fill up with lump up to those same tabs and crank up the heat, you shouldn't have any problem direct grilling and searing on the main grate. I have also grilled steaks right on the lower grate.

Welcome!

The replacement charcoal grate (not the cooking grate) for the 22.5" weber kettle will sit perfectly on the heat deflector tabs on your Akorn.  Don't use a cooking grate down there.  It won't last as long and isn't as strong.  You can get these at home depot and lowes for about $12.

The replacement charcoal grate (not the cooking grate) for the 22.5" weber kettle will sit perfectly on the heat deflector tabs on your Akorn.  Don't use a cooking grate down there.  It won't last as long and isn't as strong.  You can get these at home depot and lowes for about $12.

Thanks for the correction, John...I meant 22.5, but wrote 18.5"!

For people reading this, what John and Big Dawg are talking about is the grate for the 22.5" webber kettle. That is how the replacement grates are labeled, by which webber grill they fit.

The grate itself does not measure 22.5"

IIRC, it's 18"

Welcome :woot:    all Kamados are about temperature control..... upper vent/ lower vent...... working in harmony.....  low and slow  OR hot and fast. grill placement not so important .... think of it as an oven with  fire !  Have Fun! dont stress too much about it   and take PICS!

I bought an Akorn a few weeks ago and have been having a ball with it after umteen years of using a more traditional pit.  It seems to me that the "secret" is in the heat deflector stone.  I had to order one because it didn't come with the cooker.  Slow cooking/smoking means having the deflector in place and establishing a temp of 250 degrees or so.  Take the deflector out, crank up the heat, and you are good to go for direct heat grilling.  The distance between the coals and meat doesn't seen to matter.  It's a learning process.  The hardest thing for me was not opening the cooker to "take a look".  Establish a temp and let the cooker do its thing.  

Storm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoJones86
      Hey guys, I just got done with my first big low and slow cook yesterday. Pork butt cooked perfectly for 10+ hours only to find (literally) hundreds of wire brush bristles sitting in my drip pan when I went to clean everything out. Obviously, this can be a health concern and I even found 2 stuck to the bottom of the grate when I started double checking so the whole batch had to go straight into the trash...completely gut wrenching (but hopefully not literally, we did eat 2 sandwiches before we saw this).

What are you guys using to clean your grates? These bristle brushes have me freaked out now but there is a lot of skepticism around the effectiveness of some of the alternatives. At this point, I just need to know what works well on the KJ so everyone stays safe and no more hard work has to go in the garbage.

Thanks in advance!
    • By Tom_V
      First cook on Joetissorie on the Akorn, and yes it fits perfect! I used a combination rub of KC's and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. (Dinasour BBQ is the BEST BBQ restaurant in NY State) I also made a paste with same ingredients and rubbed under breast skin and inside cavity. Akorn running at 400-425 deg. Amazing flavor!

• By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
    • By Millerb7
      So I have myself an Akorn for about 4 years. Through a couple moves while building a new house, it was pretty neglected... sat outside, uncovered through winter, rain, etc. Needless to say due to the metal build, it rusted something bad. I ended up getting rid of it and decided I'd see what the Weber Kettle hype was all about. I picked myself up Kettle Master Touch.......... wow...

I freaking hated it. Was horrible to keep temps. Took forever to get up to temp. Was terrible to use with lump (as it fell through the grates)... just a bad overall experience. Cooked on it about 4 times then sold it. Now... I live in a VERY windy area. Like 10-15 mph winds almost constantly.... so I'm sure that played a part... but it was no enjoyable.

I decided to pick myself up a new Kamado Joe Classic from Lowes for $650..... I'm in love.
    • By Tarnation
      I joined this forum last year not long after getting my Char Griller Akorn used.  I love that little steel beauty, but I've had ceramic fever and been seeing them all over the place the past year.  Costco was about to have me parting with $600 for the Louisiana Grills 24" Kamado (just another rebranded Auplex like Vision), but my dad who works for a hardware store told me the owner wanted to sell off the stores XL Egg since they didn't really use it.  I got what I think is a great deal on this beauty, paid less for this than you would for a stripped out XL with no accessories and definitely less than a Costco roadshow Big Joe.  Came with the table, ConvEggtor, ash tool, and grate gripper.  They couldn't locate the ceramic cap when we brought it home, but I'm sure it'll turn up.  It's under an awning anyway and I'll be getting a cover to further protect it.  

To be fair to the Akorn it is a fantastic cooker!  Just since the apocalypse started, I've done at least one decent cook a week on it.  I've done ribs at least 3 times, pork butt, brisket, a turkey, soda can chickens, wings, steaks, and various veggies for sides.  I absolutely do not regret the Akorn purchase.  If you're unsure if kamado bbqing is right for you the Akorn is a fantastic place to start, it's relatively cheap and a good design.  I've been eyeballing the extra space the  Big Joe and the XL Egg offer and ultimately couldn't resist.  Just judging by my short not even 1 year of ownership I doubt my Egg will cook any better than the Akorn.  This was purely a decision based on the total cooking surface and potential cooking surface with mods.  I've done 3 racks of ribs on my Akorn before, but it gets tight and those were baby backs no easy way to get that many spare rib racks on there.  2 upright soda can (beer can) chickens really pushes the limit with my probes contacting the dome.  

TLDR; just wanted to brag on my Eggscellent deal and write a love letter to my Akorn.  I'm hoping this will be the last grill I ever have to buy, not saying I won't want to buy more, but this should be with me a long long time.  I wish I could keep the Akorn, but I have 3 grills now and between the 22" Weber Kettle and the Akorn, I can probably get more for the used Akorn.  If you're in the market for a well used Akorn, but still in fine cooking shape and you're in the Jacksonville, FL area, hit me up.