The random pictures thread...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

, , My Oldest took The Oath today... 3rd Generation Air Force... One Proud Pop

My grandson and I with his first saltwater catch, a nice Spanish Mackerel.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, O C said:

Probably a Big Poplar Sphinx moth. My daughter would be thrilled to run across one!

We tried to do some online homework to figure out what it was - and based on the appearance - that is what we came up with too.  But of course, we had nothing behind that determination other than the fact it looked the most similar.

A couple of weeks later I found another giant moth in the yard, but this time just a carcass laying on top of the grass. It had different markings. I think it must have been a different type. Very strange to run across two of these in one year when I have never seen them before. That’s 2020 for you, I guess...

6 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

We tried to do some online homework to figure out what it was - and based on the appearance - that is what we came up with too.  But of course, we had nothing behind that determination other than the fact it looked the most similar.

A couple of weeks later I found another giant moth in the yard, but this time just a carcass laying on top of the grass. It had different markings. I think it must have been a different type. Very strange to run across two of these in one year when I have never seen them before. That’s 2020 for you, I guess...

IMG_4317.thumb.jpeg.2ed08242748cd9967f3bae7cb6765abd.jpeg

I found a similar one a couple of years back. Didn't have the presence of mind to put a been bottle next to it, but it was a big bugger!

22 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I’ll see your butterfly @philpom, and raise you a giant moth.

This thing was super creepy and hung around forever this summer. Didn’t even flinch when the dog was sniffing it and eventually sputtered off with a little encouragement once we moved it to higher ground.

37103EB5-B5F5-4582-9446-65EFBBD91B4C.thumb.jpeg.b7c32a853fe4366d531451ee765abb55.jpeg

I bet that moth could drink that Corona Light before you?:):)