The random pictures thread...

Mmmmm

Keep your eyes peeled Dub. I truly believe the Big ones are out there. Saw some tracks on the hunting property that were monsters. We used to trap the bobcats but we leave them alone now out of respect.  I have met some folks that have Cougars for pets. One fellow I knew was a truck driver and his cougar traveled with him. The cougar ate 2 whole fresh chickens a day. I also have a friend in Florida that caught a cougar on his motion cam. We both know they are nocturnal and extremely stealth. I know the scientists can use logic to explain how it is not geographically possible. At any given time there are 10,000 plus un registered exotic big cat owners. Sometimes they let them go.

This was a place I used to hunt. I was walking & scouting it out in the late Summer looking for good Fall spots to hunt.

Funny thing was I had that odd sensation of being watched while I was standing there taking a few pics.

Looked at it later and "saw" what was watching me.

There is a group of well-known local businessmen in town here that go hunting together every year. Like hunting parties do, at the end of the hunt they do a group photo of everyone in camp with their deer either hanging or on the ground in front of them - typical Outdoor Life stuff. Well, this one year they took their pictures, packed up camp, and came home. They got their pictures developed and it wasn't until then that they saw, in the photo, a HUGE mountain lion lounging on a tree limb and looking down at them from about 15'-20' up in a tree straight above them, in the same tree that several of the deer were hanging in. Not one of them ever saw it in real life. I saw the photo and it definitely made the hair on the back of your neck stand at attention. They had that one pinned on a bulletin board in one of the businesses for a long time.

Wow. That is a crazy scenario.

Glad we don't have big cats around here. We have bobcats. I've seen several while hunting, but only one that really got my attention. That sucker was massive. One thing about those cats is that I've seen them follow the trail I took to my stands. They weren't scared off by the trail, but actually following it.

We do have the occasional panther story. Always fun tailgate discussion.

Mountain lions account for quite a few attacks on humans every year. Dangerous animals.

How about effing wolves?

My buddy made the decision a few years ago to ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry a side arm when bowhunting. He left camp in the dark, made a big loop across the country, then mid morning headed back to camp. As he was nearing camp he crossed his trail from earlier in the morning and there, right beside it, were wolf tracks, pace for pace, in the snow. This guy has big burly hands and he could place a loose fist in the paw prints without touching the edges.

A very minute percentage of true Idahoans support the reintroduction of wolves into our wilderness, but thanks to the activists in far away cities we are stuck with them. Elk hunting has gone down the tube, and each time a newspaper prints an article about wolves killing livestock or being a nuisance in any way there is always a prompt rebuttal letter to the editor from folks in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles, talking condescendingly down to us poor illiterate uneducated hillbilly Idahoans about how we're all wrong and if we really knew how wolves act they are good for our herds because they selectively cull and kill only the diseased, weak, and sickly animals and actually improve the overall health of the herd.

Bull honkey.

Talk about uneducated.

The proof is in the half-eaten or non-eaten animal carcasses that litter the forest floors from the north to the south of our great state. Animals brought down in their prime or before by sport killing predators on a spree. Animals the should've never been "reintroduced" because they never were here to begin with. Experts say the wolves that originally roamed these parts were of a much smaller and less destructive species.

Even our wildlife authorities don't support wolves. I know of more than one case of hunters reporting wolves in an area and the game wardens flat out denying that they exist in that area. What they saw were "big coyotes". That is code for "if we admit there are wolves here it's our job to track them and protect them and we don't want the job." That being said, there are undocumented packs of wolves within 15 miles of my house both north and south, and I live in a high desert plateau.

Wow, I got a little political there! Sorry! I'm done with my tangent. Let's get this back to random pics. Lol!

[emoji1]

This was a place I used to hunt.  I was walking & scouting it out in the late Summer looking for good Fall spots to hunt.

Funny thing was I had that odd sensation of being watched while I was standing there taking a few pics.

greatview.jpg

Whoa!  Your picture ended up here....  pretty cool shot!  http://www.ashevilleparanormalsociety.com/photos10.html

This was a place I used to hunt. I was walking & scouting it out in the late Summer looking for good Fall spots to hunt.

greatview.jpg

Whoa! Your picture ended up here.... pretty cool shot! http://www.ashevilleparanormalsociety.com/photos10.html

That is hilarious.

I've only posted that photo on two websites...The Georgia Outdoor News and the website of the hunting club I was a member of...where the photo was taken....The Walkinshaw Hunt Club.

KG is the third place I posted it.

Someone took it and ran with it, I suppose.

I do remember someone on the GON site suggesting that I'd photoshopped it. I can assure you that I simply download the pic from my camera to my PC. I did use photobucket to resize it for the forum limitations.....but no changes made.

I'm not someone who dabbles with ghost stories and such.....and there were plenty of spooky stories told by the club members. I subscribe to the school of thought to leave such things well enough alone. I don't want any part of it.

The club, when I was a member there, was a massive tract of land along the Savannah River. Swampy. Gators. Snakes....you'd see them EVERY hunt. Wild hogs. Occasional bear sighting and bobcats along with the deer and turkey that I was there to hunt.

The VP of the club, Woody Coffee, did urge me to consider taking over a stand location that was vacated by an employee of his. He said the guy spent all Summer getting it ready, cutting shooting lanes, planting food plots, etc. The guy hunted there one afternoon. Shortly after dark guys started showing up at the main gate to sign out. Rule was you stay until everyone signs out.....or you see where they signed in and go find them. Just when everyone was getting their 4-wheelers started to go ride back and find him....here he comes....on his four wheeler.....hauling #### down the dark trail. He passed by them and loaded up his gear into his truck and started packing his stuff. He never offered any comment about his lateness.

Woody said that at work the next week he asked him about it. After a while the guy finally told Woody that was the last time he would ever hunt there. In the days ahead, Woody could only get from him that he saw something that scared him and he'd never go back.

Crazy stuff.

For the record, I hunted in that stand location several times and never had any luck nor did I have problems. Just peaceful time in the woods.

Here is the second time I posted this pic.....first was a small hunt club website.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=115287&highlight=face&page=3

My wife and I were watching the sunset on our dock and we started back to the house.  About 1/2 way back along the pier I turned for one last look, and this is what I saw.  I grabbed my cheap-a*s*s* cell phone and snapped a picture.  It turned out to be the best sunset picture I have taken, before or since.

1918435_101434369878048_2815621_n.jpg?oh

• 3 weeks later...