easy mod to expand grilling surface

post-891-13756507407196_thumb.jpg

If the pic attached successfully then here's a pretty easy mod to expand your upper grilling surface..

Take an 18 inch Weber grate, two very small stainless steel hose clamps and attach (with the hose clamps) the Weber grate to the top of the existing grate..

Greatly expands your upper level grilling surface..

post-891-13756507408497_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up..

Now if you want to get really ambitious..I guess you can get some heavy duty wire cutters and cut off/away the standard grate from the post and bracing structure and THEN attach the 18 inch Weber grate..But right now I'm fine with just attaching mine to the existing grate..

Is that the charcoal grate from an 18" Weber or the actual cooking grate? Looks like the charcoal grate to me.

Thanks!

You know I really don't know..:)

It's just a replacement grate I picked up at Lowes..The one recommended as a setting for a heat diffuser..

Looks good only question , do things on the edge hit lid bottom when closed?

No, there's no contact..When closed however the larger grate just barely touches the inside of the dome..But that could be because I didn't quite center the larger grate well enough when attaching it..

• 11 months later...
[attachment=0]IMG153-1.jpg[/attachment]

If the pic attached successfully then here's a pretty easy mod to expand your upper grilling surface..

Take an 18 inch Weber grate, two very small stainless steel hose clamps and attach (with the hose clamps) the Weber grate to the top of the existing grate..

Greatly expands your upper level grilling surface..

I like that idea and I am planning on cooking 3 racks of ribs coming up. Does the cooking time differ for the top rack? I'm thinking that higher in the dome the hotter it is, that's why the factory thermometer is off by 40 degrees or more. Won't that change the cooking time on the upper rack?

I've tried this before. You have to remember that around that outside edge, there's damn near zero clearance between the outer edge of the grate and the top of the lid. I would only put very flat/thin things on it. Actually, I wouldn't even do that, I'd just use a vegetable basket or similar.