Two kamados. Do I really need it??

bosco

I already posted in KJ section but need maximum input here. Mods if you need to delete one please delete the KJ post as this is more about multiple cookers as opposed to brands.

I have my big joe and absolutely love it. I have caught myself wishing for more surface space a few times and more importantly needing two different grill temps for various cooks.

My ideal set up would be two big joes but I really don't think that I can justify the price and the room. And truly will the second get used all that often.

So I am really interested and focused on the joe jr. I feel that it will be the best second cooker to have. It's small and will assist on the smaller cooks using way less fuel. And it will be nice to have that second cooker for various cooks.

My long term plan is to ditch my gasser (1 year old Napoleon) (mrs. Bosco has dug her heels in hard on not letting it go).

But either way I feel that two is better than one.

Can someone convince me that I really don't need it??? I would hate to have it and never use it.

Sorry, Bosco...I can't convince you not too have two, as I am a firm believer in having two or more! I very regularly use, in multiple combinations, my Akorn, Akorn Jr. and Vision for precisely the same reasons you cite: simultaneous cooking at varying temperatures!

I would recommend the Jr. vs. another full size Kamado; most of the time my secondary cooking does not require as much space as the primary, and  Jr. uses less charcoal than a full size.

Just my $.02...I wish you the best in whichever decision you make!

Sorry, Bosco...I can't convince you not too have two, as I am a firm believer in having two or more! I very regularly use, in multiple combinations, my Akorn, Akorn Jr. and Vision for precisely the same reasons you cite: simultaneous cooking at varying temperatures!

I would recommend the Jr. vs. another full size Kamado; most of the time my secondary cooking does not require as much space as the primary, and  Jr. uses less charcoal than a full size.

Just my $.02...I wish you the best in whichever decision you make!

Sorry Bosco alsoI agree with Big Dawg :shock:

Well, I have Sr. and Jr. Akorns and I still wouldn't ditch my gasser. A decent one like a Genesis or your Napoleon still serves a useful purpose if you can get past the "I must cook everything in a kamado!" mentality. Kamados are awesome and a lot more fun to use, but I'd be lying if I said the difference for quick searing, burgers, etc. is that noticeable to me. I'm an end results kinda guy.

Last night I reverse seared a ribeye with the Akorn to smoke and the Genesis with GrillGrates to sear. It turned out okay. :)

lulKBqU.jpg

What is the primary need for the 2nd cooker.. Most likely your big joe provides enough space for hot and fast grilling applications.. Is it low and slow like butts, appetizers, sides etc

If you truly want/need a 2nd bigger cooker but willing to settle for a smaller one due to price and your motivation is primarily low and slow why not look at a WSM. They have a cult following, well built and the 22inch provides a big surface for the price. 

I enjoy cooking on the kamado, I enjoy cooking on the stickburner.. Its nice to have different types of cookers, to learn its intimacies and when you only need one you can fire up the one you feel like cooking on that day.. 

Can someone convince me that I really don't need it???

If you fear not using, it sounds like you're thinking that you don't really need another. I love having multiple kamados and they all get used frequently.

Jr is coming along on a camping trip this weekend.

^^^^110% agree with what Dave (Improv) said ^^^^^

I had a KJ Classic along with my Big Joe. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed having both...but I sold the Classic and much prefer my current setup...a KJ Big Joe and a Weber Genesis with GrillGrates covering the entire cooking surface. I get a TON of use out of both cookers. IMO, there are certain things that I prefer from a gasser vs kamado (I don't prefer everything be cooked over lump). Not to mention, there are just times that I wanna hurry up and get'r done. Also, when using both cookers simultaneously, I find it much more relaxing to only have to manage 1 "live" fire versus 2. The gasser is very relaxing with its steady gas flame.

Do you really dislike your Napoleon? Do you really think that ALL food that comes from it is inferior to your Big Joe? Do you think that using the Big Joe/Napoleon duo for a multi-temp cook does not have the ability to give you the results you are looking for? These were similar to the questions that I had to ask/answer myself before selling the Classic and buying the Genesis.

With all that said though, if you really believe that you'll get good use from a Jr., and have $400 sitting around, then by all means buy and ENJOY!!

Just my 2 bits...

If you truly want/need a 2nd bigger cooker but willing to settle for a smaller one due to price and your motivation is primarily low and slow why not look at a WSM. They have a cult following, well built and the 22inch provides a big surface for the price.

I had a WSM 22.5 and weber kettle to start. I really didn't think that the WSM was my cup of tea. Loved my kettle but struggled to keep temps up in the real cold. Got rid of both when I learned about the versatility of the kamado.

I am in agreement with the gasser as mentioned but I really haven't used it as I love the taste of charcoal cooking so much more than when cooking with gas. Perhaps this winter I may appreciate the the gasser more than I am expecting.

The jr. Pros for me are that I can do various cooks where I need multi temps, it's small and can travel with me, the price is right, days where I don't need the full size of my big joe I can easily fire up the jr and use far less lump.

The negative is another cooker. If I keep the gas do I really need 3 cookers? One more thing to make me neglect the gasser even more.

Decisions decisions.

Well s$@t!!!!!

Just when I tried to talk myself out of it....

I went to the local store where I got my big guy...

Talked to the sales guy.......

Tells me that they have tons of interest in them....

Factory has serious delays on stock orders with KJ.....

Says if I want one I should order ASAP.....

I have a 200.00 deposit in my pocket....

I have no will power and I am taken by quick sales talk.....

I am now on the wait list for a black joe jr. .......

I am scratching my head and asking myself.....

WHAAAAAA HAPPENED!!!!!!!!

In all honesty it could take up to 4 months so I have just bought myself some time. I just wish it was sooner. I bought a jr. I'm excited but now like the kids find that I am waiting for Christmas!!!!

Can someone convince me that I really don't need it???

If you fear not using, it sounds like you're thinking that you don't really need another. I love having multiple kamados and they all get used frequently.

Jr is coming along on a camping trip this weekend.

Anyone remember Freddy asking the same question in August? How did that turn out...