Accuracy of built in dome thermometer

Recently purchased meat thermometer and have been using it to measure the ambient temp at the grate. At times there seems to be a huge difference in temps say 50-100 degrees when trying to obtain cooking temps around 400. They CG always reads less that the digital thermometer. But sometimes the temps will be pretty close say 20 degrees. It is just that the dome thermometer takes longer to show changes in temp vs to digital thermometer or is it just inaccurate? Thinking of buy another digital thermometer to use for ambient temp and keep the existing one for meat temps. Any thoughts?

I think the dome thermometer as a unit is accurate.  Mine is right at 212 in boiling water.  But, when it's attached to the lid, the thermodynamics if the dome, short probe, and air circulation make it inaccurate in reference to what's going on at the grill level.  You can kind of calibrate your mind to use it as a reference  by using a thermometer on the grate and know the offset that the dome thermometer will have at various temps. I have a cheap oven thermometer at the grill that I use but at some point will break down and get a Maverick dual probe.  

I have an Akorn with the same issue. I trust my Maverick Dual probe thermometer. I think you are on the right track.

chiming in with what everyone else is saying.  slow acting and sometimes wildly inaccurate.  bimetal thermometers are notoriously inconsistent. 

get a maverick or something similar. you'll be much happier.

^^^^This^^^^

I hang my 732/733 probe through the top vent and ignore the dome thermometer for anything below pizza temps where it's slow reaction is less pronounced.

I used to stress out about the difference in temps when I first started using my kamado.  Over time, I used my Maverick less and less...now, none at all.  It's been no issue if my dome temp is off by a little.  For long cooks, I hook up my pitmaster 110 and the temps are locked in.  I just check the meat temp with a quick read digital thermometer ever so often.  It's been nice with the less is more approach for me.