cheese for pizza----Where???

Marty

I am getting ready for making pizza on the Big Joe

Where do you get your cheese and what kind do you like to use

I was looking at the shredded cheddar and shredded mozzarella at Sam's. That would be 10 pounds of shredded cheese. Does it break down into smaller packs and freeze well?

For Mozz we get the fresh stuff from the deli section and shred it.  The pre-shredded stuff tastes a bit rubbery IMHO.  We also buy a block of Monterey Jack and shred it up for some types of pizza.  Fresh soft goat cheese, thinly sliced, as a sub for Mozz on a Margherita is pretty outstanding too. 

Our general rule is that buying a good quality cheese and shredding it yourself will give you a better pizza than buying the pre-shredded stuff. YMMV

My $0.02 (Canadian)

My inclination was that the shredded probably was a poor second choice. When i last tasted it years ago it did not even taste like cheese. The attraction is there is a huge price difference--- but garbage in and garbage out is not what i want either.

I've not made many pizzas but we eat a lot of cheese and I agree with Jerri, Sargento cheese is the best and it's commonly sold cheese in supermarkets. Skip the cheaper store brand stuff and definitely stay away from cheap imitation mozzarella cheeses.

i like the convenience of Costco large bag of shredded cheeses. Colby/Jack, Mozz, Etc.  I have bought block cheese and grated my own many times. The problem is I end up with large globs in the bag when I store it after shredding. I don't think the little bit of POTATO STARTCH that is put on the cheese could be that detrimental to one's health compared to say margarine, aspartame, Pesticides and other crap put in food I can't spell.  IMHO

I need a good dough recipe. I will check the recipe section. Mozzarella is the only cheese that I like with my pizza!! I have done pizza I. The past with slices as opposed to shredded. Just not the same

A great dough recipe I linked to earlier: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/14393-getting-up-to-650f-for-pizza-your-method/?p=168036

For moz (the pizza staple, and one of the only things I like to use moz for), I always use a ball and shred just before making the pizza. I also like fresh buffalo mozzarella which I buy at a local bakery - you can cut it, chunk it, pull it apart by hand.  Have also added soft goats cheese, provolone and others, depending on what other ingredients are being used. Though I love it and especially in other things, I never use any kind of cheddar on pizza.

We've been making pizza on the kamado at least weekly for over a year now, and have used many different types while on the quest for great pizza. Our dough is homemade, the sauce is homemade, and when in season, the basil, tomatoes, onions and jalapenos we use come from our garden. Other than pepperoni, the one thing we have not figured out how to make at home (yet!) is mozzarella. Thus, we embarked on a quest for great mozzarella to put on our pizzas.

The cheese journey began with basic Kraft, Sargento, Kroger P/L, Sam's, Walmart and other shredded product in a bag. It wasn't awful, but certainly wasn't what we were looking for in a quality pizza cheese.

We then graduated to fresh mozzarella from the deli. Along with being a little too watery for our liking, a few brands (especially Belgioso) became rubbery and almost flavorless once melted onto the pie. IMO, that style of mozzarella is better suited to slicing and eating with olives, salami, prosciutto etc., but not for pizza.

I then found a brand called Calabro, which is made in a block and comes from East Haven, CT. The best pizza I've ever eaten was from Frank Pepe's pizza in New Haven, CT, so we thought we'd give it a try. It tastes great, and melts nicely, but is a little pricey. I believe we paid ~$8.50 for a 12 ounce block from Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati; that adds up when you are making 6-8 pies at a time!

Then, Jungle Jim's ran out of Calabro, and forced me back on my quest. That's when I found Trader Joe's Whole Milk mozzarella brick (round). It is $4.99 for 16 ounces, shreds and melts well, and tastes, to us, as good as the Calabro! Even though Jungle Jim's now has Calabro back, we have stuck with the Trader Joe's for the last several months, and could not be happier. It is our "go to" pizza cheese until further notice!

On a side note...Trader Joe's ran out of the bricks (rounds) for a short while at the store I frequent, so I purchased the shredded version thinking it would be the same. It wasn't! If you decide to try it, don't make that mistake; shred your own at home.

I hope this helps, and best of luck on the pizza, Marty. I'm sure whatever you choose will end up tasting delicious off of your kamado!

I agree with the gurus above about pre-shredded cheese. It's convenient and cheap, but tastewise ... not so good. I use different types of cheese, depending on the type of pie I'm making: fresh moz from the deli for margherita, block moz shredded for most others, muenster for a proscuitto-mushroom-gremolta pie I love. Fontina adds a nice touch to some pies. I usually keep blocks of parmesan, romano, and asiago in the cheese drawer for shredding on top.

We're close to SW Wisconsin, so I like to cruise up there every once in a while and stock up. There's some amazing cheese made around the little town of Monroe, WI.

I watched America's Test Kitchen last week making chicken parmesan and she used a mix of mozz. and fontina, and of course I can't remember exactly why but it was a good enough reason that I bought some to mix with my whole milk block of mozz. next time I make pizza.  What have you found using fontina, dwg?

I need a good dough recipe. I will check the recipe section. Mozzarella is the only cheese that I like with my pizza!! I have done pizza I. The past with slices as opposed to shredded. Just not the same

A great dough recipe I linked to earlier: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/14393-getting-up-to-650f-for-pizza-your-method/?p=168036

For moz (the pizza staple, and one of the only things I like to use moz for), I always use a ball and shred just before making the pizza. I also like fresh buffalo mozzarella which I buy at a local bakery - you can cut it, chunk it, pull it apart by hand.  Have also added soft goats cheese, provolone and others, depending on what other ingredients are being used. Though I love it and especially in other things, I never use any kind of cheddar on pizza.

Saved this recipe for my first go!!!  thanks for the link

I watched America's Test Kitchen last week making chicken parmesan and she used a mix of mozz. and fontina, and of course I can't remember exactly why but it was a good enough reason that I bought some to mix with my whole milk block of mozz. next time I make pizza.  What have you found using fontina, dwg?

Fontina has a wonderful earthy, sort-of mushroomy flavor. It adds a lot of depth to whatever you're cooking. I get mine from the Roth cheese factory in Monroe, WI. They also make Rofumo, which is a smoked fontina - it's amazing on burgers!