Sign in to follow this  
Smoke and Awe

Fish stew for Monday supper

Awhile back we had a thread on making fish stew on a kamado.  I'd never even eaten fish stew, but started looking for recipes since I live where fresh fish is readily available.  Last week we went to a local restaurant for lunch that had a great fish stew, so I was motivated to try my own when the weather cooled.  Today was the test recipe and I cooked inside because it requires a lot of stirring and quick adding of ingredients.  Don't know if I'll try it on the kamado or not, or just do a paella, but anyway dinner's ready.  I actually used fresh mussels, frozen shrimp and a frozen concoction of fish pieces that includes calamari, baby clams, crab, and I don't know what all.  Still needs more seasoning that I haven't figured out...

post-4468-0-28218500-1411423882_thumb.jp

That looks fantastic Smawe. I stopped by the seafood store Friday. Mom wanted Gumbo this weekend. I noticed they had trigger fish filets. If you get a chance try some. Buttery flesh, flaky and smack your momma good.

It's a saltwater reef fish. I'm a fisher. It takes a special knack to catch them. You don't scale them you skin them. I've been in the food business a long time and this fish is the boss. IMO Atlantic cod is the bench mark. But Trigger fish eclipses that.  I would post a pic of my last fishing trip, we loaded up on trigger fish and red groupers but I don't have copy and paste privileges on this forum

Smoke and Awe - looks good. My son loves the frozen seafood scrapes done in a soup/stew. It's been a while since I made it. Also mussels cooked in spaghetti sauce is the bomb.

but I don't have copy and paste privileges on this forum

What the he$$ are you talking about? Never heard such a crazy thing. Send me the pictures I'll post em.

ck, the mussels weren't as good as I had hoped, even though they were fresh and are harvested not 30 minutes from here. Maybe half of them were good/alive.  Couldn't stomach the black guts...  But I'll try again when I make the paella as that is a stronger flavor profile, I think.   I added some rice to the broth and a bit more hot sauce, and it was pretty good.  

trigger fish are a beautiful coral reef eating fish.  they have a nasty set of chompers on them as they rip into coral.  I use to have a few in my saltwater fish tanks as they are wonderful fish to watch swim.  

I haven't seen the wild full size ones, so question the meat source, but I assume the ocean caught ones can be monsters.  

@bosco I am a diver and spent countless hours (3000 +) diving in the Caribbean. I got bitten by a Big Trigger fish just below the knee. The wound was 1/2 " diameter and 1/4" deep. Yeeowie.  I came over the reef when this trigger was crunching up a shell. I'm not fearful of sharks, cudas or morays but I get the heebee geebees when trigger fish are around. I like to deep sea fish and we specifically go after Trigger Fish. Last year we were 8 miles off shore from Ft. Walton Beach, Fl.   When you deep sea fish you are always looking at your electronics for structure on the bottom. On this trip I marked big, BIG holes in the ground. I marked the coordinates and went back the next day with scuba. It was maybe 80-90 feet deep we anchored and dove. The holes were loaded with red groupers. This spot must have been a prehistoric forest. The holes were 4-5 ft in diameter on a hard bottom (Not Sandy) I swam in the hole with a lite and it seemed like a large tree's root system.  I speared a couple red groupers and went back a few weeks later with my son and we yanked some red groupers on conventional tackle.

thats awesome, fresh grouper must taste out of this world.  One of my favourite fishes to eat.  

Triggers are crazy little bastards.  And those teeth, I would imagine they would cause some serious damage.  Makes catching them and eating them all the better.  

Sounds like an amazing spot, would love to see something like that.

That makes sense whaler. I didn't know that. The holes were very interesting I wish I had taken a camera on that dive. The holes were absolutely loaded with red groupers.  Are there many Timber holes near P'cola. I have caught some tuna at the nipple before. My fishing grounds are normally Gulf Shores, Al but I hit Fort Walton area for cobia season, triggers and groupers.

There are many areas of timber holes in the northern gulf. Check out al.com and search underwater forest...amazing

Come on over to Pensacola when you have a chance, My son operates the Pensacola Beach Marina and Hot Spots Charters.

He can put you on the fish.