Grillgrates

Are these things really worth the price? I have a Kamado Joe big Joe, and am considering them but outside of "perfect grill marks" which I don't really care about I would like opinions from any of you that have them. Does it help with flare ups? Hot spots? Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/11699-grill-grates/?hl=grillgrates

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/10203-grill-grates/page-3?hl=grillgrates#entry115507

A lot of opinions in the threads above.

I really like them and have gotten some great use from them.   Lately I use them mainly upside down as a surface to cook smash burgers.  They do really well with the loosely formed patties that are loaded with diced onion and jalapeño.....fat drains away nicely.  Also they keep all the burger toppers in place.  I don't always use all 3 sections, either.

osWSE6U.jpg

KGJfNKR.jpg

0hWMkWQ.jpg

They are pricey......but I'd replace them tomorrow if something happened to my current set.  Useful product that I've enjoyed.

YES YES and YES!! I use them for a lot of my cooks. Love them! They also make for a killer griddle by simply flipping over -- and because of the little holes, grease doesn't accumulate, which I really like. Like grilled veggies? Just toss'em on, flip and turn til done. Nothing falls through into the fire :-)

Next to my extensive collection of Instant and remote read thermometers they are my most used accessory. It's more than about just the grill marks. There is a lot of good science behind the product.  The GrateTool and  GrateTongs are important parts of the system allowing you to LIFT delicate foods such as fish and veggies off the raised rails, as opposed to SCRAPEING them off the grate with a spatula.

....Once you use GrillGrates, you would never want to be with out them.

GG also lets you get a semi-direct heat when you want to cook something where you want to get some smoke and heat but not full on direct.

This is where it's at for me. I get a great balance between direct and indirect, they're nice, try them.

Just to throw an alternate opinion in there.....I give them a 6/10.

I love them for fish....between the deeper grates and the forked flipper, they're fantastic for delicate filet's etc.

For everything else....I don't find they do much.  Now if I had still had my gas grill, I would love them as a topper for that.

I use them mostly for fish and shrimp, on thinner cuts of meat like flatiron, skirt or flank steak, and for vegetables.  I find I have more control of cook times on these items as opposed to being exposed directly to the flame.  The grill marks are not important to me.

If mine failed, I'd replace them pronto.  They are a great tool to have in the accessory arsenal.

I resisted for a long time. I could certainly do without them on the kamado and in fact rarely use them there. But they have breathed new life into my gasser as a searing station. I can pull of a midnight burger in incredibly short order because I don't have to get the grill as hot to get a proper sear (using the back of the GGs as a griddle). 400° is plenty and I can get my Weber there in about 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

My history with them is i outfitted my Members Mark Gas grill with a set and then bought the AKORN. I never went back to the gasser. The MM gasser had ceramic plates for infrared cooking already but the Grill Grates still made a huge difference. They are a must have for a gas grill and I do use them on the Kamado for smash burgers and thin or delicate things.

You need them.  Just pony up, get 'em, use 'em, thank us sometime down the road.

I have to agree with the CC here, they are great for grilling. It's not so much about the pretty marks as it is about a perfect point between direct and indirect cooking.

I use them on the Classic and Junior just about every cook. I balked at them for a long time........then I tried them.

The answer to your questions is yes. Worthy investment. I recommend burgers for a maiden cook. Easy to do and will help season them. They will stick the first cook or so. I bought a custom full set for my Genesis but when I gave the Genesis away I made a set for me KJ and a set for my Q. Great for everything especially, delicate foods like veggies and shrimps as well as thinner cuts of meat. Virtually no flare ups.

Archived