ckreef

ckreef's Sunday Night Pizza Thread

I've missed this thread. That's an awesome pie. You've done well CK [emoji122]

Yea I sort of miss this thread too. Will keep posting in it from time to time. The once a week full detailed posts was a lot of work along with all the other cooks I post.

I've missed this thread. That's an awesome pie. You've done well CK [emoji122]

Yea I sort of miss this thread too. Will keep posting in it from time to time. The once a week full detailed posts was a lot of work along with all the other cooks I post.

Not only that, you did all that tweaking with the dough and temps. The work you put into perfecting the various kinds of pizza was amazing and then to post it. Its not like this is what you do for a living.

I guess everyone has a slightly different method which also changes with each different grill.

I played with making Pizza on my Vision Classic B for a few years.

Started out like seems everyone does, trying for that super high 'Pizza Oven" type temps so I was doing like 700 degrees.

For ME that was simply WAY too hot, the crust would burn long before the toppings got cooked to my satisfaction.

It finally dawned on me that a Kamado is NOT a Pizza Oven, the way it works is totally different, in a Pizza Oven all the heat is at or above the usually 2" thick fire bricks the Pizza sits on.

Thus it needs to be like 900+ degrees, it cooks from the TOP down and you are lucky if you can get the crust to brown before the toppings burn, you need to allow the firebricks to heat up for at LEAST an hour or more to get that nice hot firebrick that can keep up with the intense heat coming from the top.

When you do you get the perfect pizza cooking environment and the average Pizza will cook, toppings brown, crust golden brown with very dark brown spots and crunchy all in about 2-3 minutes.

In a Kamado it is exactly the opposite, all the heat comes from the BOTTOM, the Stone gets super hot and you have to diffuse as much as possible and get that Pizza as close to the dome as possible in order to get that perfect equilibrium where the heat on top of the Pizza can cook the toppings at the same speed as the heat below the stone, that is absorbed into the stone can cook the bottom of the crust. 

I continually got burnt crust and or toppings not even close to done until I reached the perfect equilibrium, which for me, on my particular grill set up is precisely 480-490 degrees with a 1" thick Lava Stone as the diffuser and then a 7/8" thick Dough Joe Pizza stone as close to the dome as I can possibly get it.

That set up gets me the perfect pizza for regular crust every single time.

If I were to go for thin crust I would probably go UP in temp because for me my thin crust is also a different dough altogether, a dough without olive oil or honey/sugar in it and the flour is a much finer grind (Antimo Caputo 00) it can take a higher heat, the olive oil and honey in my regular crust browns it at a lower temp.

Thin crust I would probably go to about 530-540 degrees and also use very little toppings so the toppings cook quicker and probably no or very little sauce.

My wife and I usually prefer the thicker crust with LOTS of toppings.

Obviously we like Pepperoni Pizza, although I have done a few "Pulled Pork and Pineapple" pizzas a day or two after I do a Pork Butt I use some of it for Pizza.

Here are a few of my last pizzas.

post-8283-0-55759000-1431184629_thumb.jp

post-8283-0-48145200-1431184683_thumb.jp

Here is my first attempt at a Stuft Crust which came out really good, I stuffed it with Fresh Mozzarella, Fresh Spicy Greek Oregano and a Basil Pesto.

post-8283-0-63319800-1431184957_thumb.jp

post-8283-0-33962600-1431185155_thumb.jp

post-8283-0-21952700-1431185339_thumb.jp

Bottom of the crust always comes out perfect, golden brown, some dark brown spots, nice and crunchy with a soft slightly chewy inside.

post-8283-0-48922800-1431185924_thumb.jp

this is how I have my stone set up.

post-8283-0-64117600-1431185394.jpg

Well it was 450 grams of flour with 9 Oz of water. Are you willing to help with your formula skills? I really need to learn how to calculate all this.

A kitchen scale is the easiest way to prepare consistent batches of dough. There are lots of kitchen scales on Amazon between $10 and $20. It sounds like you already have a kitchen scale.

In preparing dough formulas, hydration is the percentage of water weight to flour weight. Hydration is not the total amount of water in the dough, as other ingredients contain water. For example, flour is shipped with a 14% moisture content. All other ingredients in the dough are also a percentage of the flour weight. So 3% sugar would mean 13.5 grams of sugar (based upon 450 grams of flour). As you repeat the same formula, you will figure out what measuring spoon to use for your oil, sugar and yeast that corresponds to the amount of grams you need. It’s easier to use a measuring spoon for small quantities of ingredients once you have figured out the quantity you need. But you should always weight out the flour and water on a scale.

Your formula was 59.25% hydration. That is 450 grams flour, and 9 ounces water. One cup of water weights 237 grams, so 9 ounces weights 266.6 grams. 266.6/450 = 59.25. A hydration of about 60% is a very common pizza dough formula. If you are fermenting at room temperature, anything over 65% hydration will be very slack and more difficult to manage.

What lead you to believe you needed to raise the hydration level?

Also, how does the oven temp gauge relate to your Akorn?

Thanks.

I Know that I "should" do this, however I have gotten to the point to where I am getting such good results by eyeballing it and "feeling" it that I am not sure if I should change my method.

I use 4 cups of King Arthur "bread" flour it has a 12.7% protein content and works well for the type of crust my wife and I prefer.

I make up about 2 cups of 115 degree water with 2 teaspoons of yeast to proof.

I add to the water some honey I eyeball it but probably about a tablespoon, then just before I pour into the flour I add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

I pour about 1 1/2 cups into flour and start mixer.

i then add a teaspoon of water at a time until I get the consistency I like which is just as it starts to get sticky.

I continue to knead in mixer until i can windowpane it, usually around 8-10 minutes.

The only reason I use 4 cups of flour is that I also make either 4 Hamburger buns (100-105 grams each) OR 2 Burger buns and then about a dozen Garlic Knots for Spsketti.

I put the dough in the fridge for at least 24 hours, then take it out to rise about 5-8 hours at room temp.

Nunyabiz post made us decide to change up our pizza technique.  Since our old stone cracked, we now have a nice 3/4 inch stone.  We lowered our cooking temp from 750 to 550-600.  Best results so far!  Crust came our crispy which is what we were going for.  Toppings and cheese were picked up a little more smoke flavor.  Our best pizza yet.  Will try to get photos next time.

Great, are you using two stones or just one?

if just one, try a second diffuser stone down low on the plate setter then your 3/4" pizza stone as close to the dome as you can get it.

Then try 500 degrees and let the stone heat up for like 45 minutes.

That should be pretty close to giving you a nice golden brown bottom crust and toppings.

Post some pics

I just use the X rack with my heat deflectors and have been using the stainless steel pizza holder upside down to sit my stone on and get it up to around 500 I'm starting to think it's not so much the height but the airflow my last pizza I done was with this method and I was really happy with the top to crust ratio on a thick dough I have tried 700 on a thin dough and like the results.