kirkc18

Cold smoke

Is there any attachments or rigging to do cold smoking on my Big Joe? I am curing more meat. I did the bacon and it was amazing, though friends and family all got a chunk and the next is all mine LOL. I am also curing a ham I may cold smoke. Any ideas?

Really think I would enjoy cold smoking cheese, nuts, etc. have even heard that smoked avocados are killer... would probably add a really nice flavor to guacamole. Some people even like cold smoking a steak for an hour before cooking. Sounds interesting to me :-)

I recommend this:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I have 3 different models of their product and this one is my favorite.

Was wondering about this exact product... have you used it for cold smoking?  If yes, how do you setup your KJ?  There obviously has to be enough air flow to keep it alive... just wondering what that looks like for a cold smoke session,

If you have a deep-freeze, throw the firebox, ring, diffusers, and grill surfaces in to chill them down before adding your cheese, butter, veggies.  Do NOT chill the aforementioned items if they have been wet, it will encourage freeze cracks to form.

I have the a maze tray.I use it for cold smoking cheese on my char griller smoker,during the winter.It works great.

can you describe your top/bottom vent positions? How far are they opened?

Amazn products are great -- I use the tubes all the time.  Cold smoke cheese, smoke/cook salmon & trout.  Personally, I think cold smoking a steak puts it over the top!  Others might think otherwise.

I usually cold smoke in the non-insulated CG Wrangler, but do a 3 hr. smoke/cook in the Akorn, that I have perfected & the results gets great raves!

With the maze, I' d suggest bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel wide open. Then see how much smoke is exiting.

Thanks rwhinton!  Having never used the maze, I guess it's safe to assume, that even with a lot of oxygen, it won't just break out in flame, but continue to smolder?

With the maze, I' d suggest bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel wide open. Then see how much smoke is exiting.

Thanks rwhinton! Having never used the maze, I guess it's safe to assume, that even with a lot of oxygen, it won't just break out in flame, but continue to smolder?

Yes. Dust supposedly smokes cooler than pellets but neither burns hot.

I have the dust/pellet maze and use both.

ETA:

I use my maze in my mini-WSM. Here it is in action with pellets:

cheese3_zpsdc6938ff.jpg