kirkc18

Cold smoke

I use the tray with pellets for winter smoked cheese, nuts and fish.  It does occasionally go out but usually carries on for plenty long enough, cheese only needs 0.5 - 2 hours for my taste.  And it's fun to do.  In warmer weather you can stretch out the season with an ice tray, but eventually cheese will sweat too much to appeal.

It cracks me up how many testimonials refer to using these for electric smokers, but they actually benefit from 4+ hours of smoke and these trays can deliver much more than an electric chips tray.

I think there were 1-2 stories on kamadoguru that people tried these in lit charcoal grills/smokers but gee they kept going out because the oxygen wasn't there.

Add ice blocks inside to reduce the temperatures.  BTW..  If you place a colander of ice in there over a pan, as it melts you will also create a smoked water which can be refrozen into ice cubes for use in mixed drinks to add a new/different dimension.   And if you have room and so desire put a shallow tray of a good bourbon in there also and you can make a nice smoked bourbon,  Just don't over smoke the bourbon.

With regard to air flow, I use the Amaz-n-Products also in my electric oven to smoker conversion and my intake is effectively a 1 in pipe and my outflow is 1 in.  It does not take much air flow to keep the maze smoldering (I prefer the sawdust over pellets).  This lower level of air flow makes for a rich smoke atmosphere.  

You can also cold smoke in the winter using the same maze inside a large cardboard box with some in/out air holes.  Set the maze away from the cardboard sides. 

Redneck cold smoking at its finest...LOVE IT!!!!

You can also cold smoke in the winter using the same maze inside a large cardboard box with some in/out air holes. Set the maze away from the cardboard sides. [/size]

It's hard to keep the temp down in a kamado to cold smoke cheese.  it's best to use the extender rack and crack the dome lid open about an inch.

Hi, John ...

I have the same AMNPS unit you have ... My plan, once it cools enough in KC to pull it off, had been to empty the lump from my KJ Classic, put the lighted AMNPS directly on the bottom grate, open both top and bottom vents and let the magic happen ... are you saying that I will still have too much heat to do cheese safely?

What about the deflector ... use or no use?

Thanks ...

It's hard to keep the temp down in a kamado to cold smoke cheese.  it's best to use the extender rack and crack the dome lid open about an inch.

Hi, John ...

I have the same AMNPS unit you have ... My plan, once it cools enough in KC to pull it off, had been to empty the lump from my KJ Classic, put the lighted AMNPS directly on the bottom grate, open both top and bottom vents and let the magic happen ... are you saying that I will still have too much heat to do cheese safely?

What about the deflector ... use or no use?

Thanks ...

I would use the deflector just because it adds another dimension of cooling to the grill.  You will just have to experiment with it. If the ambient temp is cold enough you won't have any issues.

Use the Tube smoker from AmazeN products if your elevation is over 5000 feet. The maze is too hard to keep lit, even with all vents wide open and the lid cracked  at higher elevations.  At my elevation, the tray will not stay lit, even when placed in the open on the patio.

i do all my code smoked cheeses in the fall to spring time frame.

During late spring and early fall temps, I'll smoke over night when it is cooler and easier on the cheese. The people at Beechers told me cheese would hold up for several hours at airplane cabin temps. Makes sense since they put a shop in the Sea Tac terminal.

During winter, well the amazen pellet trays can't generate enough heat to melt cheese.

I'm lucky to never have needed ice to cool things down.

During winter, well the amazen pellet trays can't generate enough heat to melt cheese.

When cold smoking cheese, the melting point isn't really the issue.  You don't want the cheese to get warm enough to 'sweat.'  I like to cold smoke my cheese when I am able to keep the temp in the grill at or below 75 degrees.  

As someone mentioned earlier, you don't have to do this in a grill.  You CAN do it in a cardboard box :)  You don't want to do it in a container so large that the smoke to air concentration is too low though.  I like to smoke my cheese until it is discolored by the smoke.  This usually takes me 3 to 4 hours.  

On 9/30/2014 at 5:22 PM, John Setzler said:

Where I live we have plenty of days where the ambient temperature is more than cool enough to smoke cheeses in a Kamado grill without any concern of the cheese getting too hot!

One of the benefits of northern living...

The amazen tray does a good job making smoke, perhaps too much at times? My issue with it is the amount of creosote it can produce when it's used directly inside the smoking chamber. Cheese seems to be prone to picking up nasty creosote off flavors. Perhaps I am over smoking my cheeses [2-3 hours on average] or not aging them long enough? 

Anyone else have this concern?

I am considering piping the smoke in to my KJ. Perhaps using an old Weber Smokey Joe I have on hand and some flexible aluminium duct tubing in an attempt to reduce creosote deposits. 

Trial and error at this point.

11 hours ago, glenn3 said:

Where I live we have plenty of days where the ambient temperature is more than cool enough to smoke cheeses in a Kamado grill without any concern of the cheese getting too hot!

One of the benefits of northern living...

The amazen tray does a good job making smoke, perhaps too much at times? My issue with it is the amount of creosote it can produce when it's used directly inside the smoking chamber. Cheese seems to be prone to picking up nasty creosote off flavors. Perhaps I am over smoking my cheeses [2-3 hours on average] or not aging them long enough? 

Anyone else have this concern?

I am considering piping the smoke in to my KJ. Perhaps using an old Weber Smokey Joe I have on hand and some flexible aluminium duct tubing in an attempt to reduce creosote deposits. 

Trial and error at this point.

With the maze, I like to smoke my cheese 2 to 3 hours.  I vacuum seal it and then let it age for a minimum of 8 weeks.  If you haven't aged smoked cheese for extended times you should.  I also recommend this experiment.  Smoke a batch of cheese.  Taste some immediately, some after 3 days, some after 1 week, some after 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, etc... you can see how the flavor develops over time. It's horrible in the beginning.

Thank you for the advice,  It is indeed horrible out of the smoker. I have 7-8 pounds of freshly smoked cheeses - vacuum sealed up and resting in my basement fridge. The color looks great. The taste not so much.

I will let it age at least a month and see where it's at. I'd be happy to wait until Christmas if needed,