LargeRedJoe

Alton Brown home-made smoker, smoking on a Weber and more

So his dogma to 225 and under (especially for butt) is a bit out there, and the idea that a bone-in takes significantly longer to cook is just odd since the bone has negligible impact on heat transfer through the meat and zero impact on evaporative cooling (ie the stall). Oh, and this is a personal thing but to my mind he should have trimmed the fat cap more, brine does nothing to the meat under the fat (nor does smoke for that matter). Also no mesquite is kinda funny since it's probably the most used smoking wood in Texas. No sauce is a preference, I like a finishing sauce on my ribs, and pulled pork I like both with and without, though if I can't be eaten without then it's not good Q =)

I also think that one of the important details to pull from the video is that "the pros" he's talking about in the video covers most of the people on this forum, not necessarily and not only competition cookers.

And if you do want to save money on your butts, have the butcher remove the huge fat cap Alton. ;) That's just money in the garbage - the bone at least may help with the flavor.

I do agree on the mesquite though, it is great for grilling steaks, but NOT for low and slow as it makes meat taste bitter and oily IMHO.  The most popular smoking wood in Texas is white oak or other oaks as they are cheap and easy to get. I don't usually brine a butt, just let rub soak in for a few hours to overnight. I will brine poultry and a pork loin as they have less fat marbled in the meat. I agree on the fat cap.. trim that baby! 

I'm willing to give Alton's brine a try on my next butt. But I won't use those enormous hamburger buns. ;)

Are you talking about the ones at the 35 minute mark that he puts the PP on? Because it looks normal to me (I actually use Kaiser rolls most of the time as I like the slightly chewier texture, but that's obviously a personal preference).

I like a high meat to bun ratio and I don't use hamburger buns for PP unless for some reason I'm all out of bread and too lazy to go to the store. ;) Typically I'll also use a nicer roll, maybe even a kaiser style, but smaller. Sometimes I'll also use corn tortillas from the small latino market we have in town - I've also made my own, but just can't get them as thin as the commercial brands.

When I was in Texas when you eat thier BBQ (Beef and sausages only) you taste the Mesquite. I liked it but my wife hated it. That ment I didn't get a smoker till over a decade later and I found someone where we moved that smoked our Thanksgiving bird with apple. At that point the wife said yes I could get one cause she loved the mild smoke flavor. All I smoke with now is fruit woods and the wife can't get enough of it. I think the flavor of Mesquite is ok with Beef but I don't think it would go with pork. Porks flavor is too mild and the Mesquite would drown it out I believe.

I believe in that episode ( I've seen alot of his dealing with Q) he gave the reason why places smoke with the wood they do. In Texas the stuff grows like weeds. That is another reason they smoke with that. In Georgia They do alot of Peach etc. The main idea ultimately as I'm sure everyone here would agree to is smoke with what brings you the flavor you like. The only caveate to that I would give is for the newbies to never ever ever try to smoke with Pine of treated wood via paint or rot/bug investation treatment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dathzo
      Hi all,

I have lately been researching about temperature controllers for Kamados. Several alternatives are out there and each of them have their fan base. A lot of the information available is based on feeling and intuition, which is great. However, I miss a repository of information based on factual data of the controller's performance provided by users. This is the intention of this thread and hopefully, it will serve to educate the audience, firstly on how to make the choice when buying a temperature controller and secondly how to best use them.

I have put together a set of questions for the people to answer that will help fellow BBQers immersed into the temperature controllers world.

Thank you all in advance for supporting this research project!

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?
      2. What temperature controller do you have?
      3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)
      4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)
      5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over
      6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output
      7. What do you love about your controller?
      8. What would you improve about your controller?
      9. Anything else you want to share
      10. And last but not least, share pictures of your cook 
    • By Daz
      Hi Everyone, it has been a while since my last post ( I think it was the pizza ring I made for the Akorn Kamado). Well, I finally get around to finish up the camper power box for our TempMaster controller. I found these 12V Li-ion battery packs from Amazon works great (6000 mAh for 10+ hrs) and can be charged with our AC adapter for the controller. The box now can hold the controller, battery, vent hose and 3 probes. I'll make a DIY blog on our website. It's Plano Ammo Box (Made in USA!) with cutouts on the side for hose and probes. Now you can do ribs in a weber go anywhere for 4-5 hours unattended. Let me know if you have any questions. Here in Hawaii there is no power at camp grounds, so I made this box with a 12v UPS backup battery in it to power the controller off grid. But I found I use it all the time even at home. The Lead Acid battery was heavier and required a car battery charger to charge so I didn't make it into a product. But now with the Li-ion battery this box can pack all the accessories, just grab 'n go! It's available on our website at BBQube.us
      Aloha and happy grilling!

• By uhmump95
      I just got a 26 inch Weber kettle  for Father's day.  Since I have been using my Kamado for the last year, I love using lump charcoal.  Is there any benefit to using lump in a kettle?  I read an article on the Weber site and it said lump cooks fast on a kettle grill.  Hopefully my peeps here can give me some insight.  

Lump charcoal use on kettle please give me your thoughts.
    • By DerHusker
      In a reply to shuley, when I introduce my new Red Kettle, I stated “I use the kettle mostly for fast grilling style cooks (Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Carne Asada, shrimp) So I haven't really tried to control the temperature to much” Well I decided to try a longer cook and see how it held a temperature.

Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to mix it up so for this Kettle Experiment I went with Chicken Shawarma. Started out the night before making some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)

2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Here is the grated cucumber that I tossed with the salt.

The salt leaches out the liquid from the cucumber that I rung out using a flour sack towel.

Here’s the yogurt, the lemon and the minced mint ready to be mixed together with the garlic and cucumber.

The next day I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:

1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt

5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup

1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika

½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

I then broke out the boneless / skinless chicken thighs I got that were on sale.

I cleaned these up and then cut most of them in half but some were larger so they were cut in thirds.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.

One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans

1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon

1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)

Half of a large garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving

1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

2 to 3 tablespoons water

Dash of ground paprika for serving

Here is the start of the blending process.

Then some Persian Rice.

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill. I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices.

and placed them on the grill.

My new Red Kettle was cruising along at 350 and stayed within 10 degrees of that for the entire 75 minutes of this cook.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

After a while I moved them over the coals so I could develop some char that Shawarma should have.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, Olives, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife and company loved everything.

Thanks for looking.

• By Dub
      Yesterday my son and I were hanging out together and the subject of "what's for dinner, Dad?" came up.   Little hombre is always hongry.  Freshmen in college, hits the gym in between classes.  Lean, mean, studying machine.  

I'd had some chops marinating since morning.  Informed him of such and he asked what I was waiting on.   The order to fire 'em up was given.

I was also planning on cooking some other stuff at the same time for future meals, too....as I'm working this upcoming weekend.

Figured I'd do wings on this 'un and also sear some chops and tenderloin while doing the sides on the other little Weber.

Little Weber accommodated my skillet packed full of carrots, onions and potatoes.   Was gonna add some Brussels later, too.

Course ground pepper & Plowboys did a good job of seasoning the root vegetables.

Well......at some point during the cooking my boy got a phone call that altered his plans.  He's out of class this week and some buddies are in town.....so he had to scramble.

I scaled back the cook but did go ahead with a pair of chops.   Haven't done them in a long while for some reason.  

Seasoned them with Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express.

Vortex did it's job.....even better now that the coals had burned down significantly since I skipped the wing cook.

I love carrots cooked this way.....in case you can't tell, lol.

Leftover chop was saved in the fridge.......

Teenage T-Rex skeert me this morning as I was tinkering with the coffee maker.....trying to conjure up some decent java.  Evidently I was grinding the beans when he ninja'd up into the kitchen, "So, Dad, what's for breakfast".    Once I settled down from the scare, lol, I put together  his leftover chop, some hash browns, scrambled eggs & cheese and a pair of biscuits.

He said that'd hold him for a while.