Sign in to follow this  
3vil3ric

Sealing Ash Pan with BGE Gasket?

Hi All,

After 3 sessions on my CGK I want better air flow control..  I will say this new stock model is really good and I'll post up some pics of my findings.

HOWEVER, I did pick up a roll of BGE gasket today to tighten up the lower vent.  While I have the ash pan off and clean (and a mile of gasket) I figured I'd add it, but the stuff will not mold to the curve of the ash pan.

For those of you who completed the Nomex gasket mod I have a question. 

What is the trick ?  

Did you make relief cuts or angled segments, or did you just muscle it in place?

Thanks for sharing your experience !!

Eric

While exposing about a foot of adhesive, guide the tape (left and right side) over the desired spot, while pressing down with one finger.  Do not stretch it while you apply it, or it will pull back and leave a gap. Inspect the upper edge of the ash pan.  There can be gaps between the flat top and the curved body of the ash pan due to the thin metal and spot welds about every inch and a half.  The paint may initially hide and plug these gaps. The bottom slide-damper may also have gaps between it and the ash pan. 

Thanks very much.  This is the 1 inch gasket and, my first impression is, it doesn't curve well.  I figured I'd ask before peeling and sticking.

Also, this is a CGK v2 and it appears CG added some RTV type material between the vent and the pan.  I took pics to post here.

THANKS AGAIN !!

Eric

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cooking in Ohio
      Has anyone replaced your old felt gasket , with the new mesh style ? If so have you tried just replacing just the dome or the bottom half , and leaving the other side with nothing ? 
      Thanks for any input you may have
    • By kaybee
      Over the winter my previous attempt to apply a Rutland gasket failed so I had to redo it. A little research showed that a number of people were having adhesion issues with the Rutland cement due to age of the cement or difficulty of application. The upshot is that the recommendation now is to use PermaTex Ultra Copper automotive gasket maker as the glue for the fiberglass Rutland gasket.

Follow the NakedWhiz instructions for surface preparation:
      http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Follow my instructions here (in the photo comments) for the PermaTex application and curing process:
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWWEsQGBTBHsG3Py2

I cannot recommend the PermaTex highly enough. Compared to the Rutland cement it is a dream. I am seriously considering doing my second egg with just four or five layers of PermaTex and no fibreglass to have a nice stiff but rubbery seal. That should make any repairs a snap. Cut out the offending part and reapply the PermaTex after cleaning/roughening.

I have contacted NakedWhiz by email to see about combining the two sets of instructions. We'll see what happens...

• By CentralTexBBQ
      I guess, I could wait and do an unboxing, install and review video on Youtube but, I'm no Youtuber so, why start now?

Anyway, I called my local Authorized KJ dealer on Monday and inquired about a replacement Wire Mesh Fiberglass Gasket for an original, pre-2017 Big Joe (Model #BJ24RH). He then called KJ for me (KJ simply referred me to the dealer), I was given the part number #BJ-MGA24 and told that they would in fact be able to order it from KJ. He called again yesterday to say that it will be here in a about week and cost around $90. YES!!!
    • By NJBrian
      Hello, 
      I just acquired a primo from a friend who was downsizing.  I am replacing and upgrading components and really wanted an oven style/fiberglass or woven metal type gasket vs. nomex.  This just seems like a cleaner option for the grill surface. 

I read a story about someone using this type of gasket (thicker than the standard gasket) so they only needed to gasket the lid - not the cooking surface (limited grease and organic matter on a grate level gasket).   

Anyone do this? 

BTW - new to the group
    • By Arh
      Hi fellows

I left my akorn grill on the Max temp for an hour by mistake and after that I can not turn the heat off by closing all the vents. 

For example, if I cook at noon the grill will stay on 300 to 250 until the next morning! I have to dump water on the hot charcoals to force it turn off for storage. 

The top vent gasket becomes loose and I cannot put it back since it becomes large and thin. The other gaskets seems fine but I don't mind to add extra and improve ita sealing.

what do you guys recommend me to do to fix my grill ?

Thanks