Trying ribs again today...to cut or not?

danielc

Thanks everyone! I decided to cut in half for 2 reasons...

- I had already rubbed one half with one rub and the other with another, so this keeps them more separate

- with the vision grates if I use the top grate it's hard to put a drip pan which will cover the full length. I think I can get better drip coverage with the half length....unless I out the ribs on the bottom grate and out a drip pan on the deflector itself

If I am using foil,I cook the ribs to 160 degrees and then foil for an hour. Then finish them without foil.

I have cooked ribs without foil and the the stahl time is longer. But ribs have been moist.

After about 7 to 7.5 hrs I pulled gem. They were good and juicy and tender, but not fall off the bone. I know my temps dropped a bit whenI was away running errands. But I think maybe my iGrill is just reading higher than the food is seeing. I always tend to put the food in the middle and the ambient probe closer to the outer edge. But the outer edge will get more direct heat coming up around the deflector. So If it says I'm cooking at 225 then maybe I'm really only at 200 or maybe less which can explain why everything seems to take so long. Will have to start going hotter.

Anyway, here are before and after shots

post-6186-14131664272978_thumb.jpg

post-6186-14131664429206_thumb.jpg

When you don't foil they are not as fall off the bone. They are not being steamed. They pull easy but not fall off the bone gooey if that is the right word.

I forgot the bend test for half racks sorry not the best indicator. What was your temp ? 7 hours is insain!!!! I have never taken that long

When I put them on it was around 240 or so and it was moving up so I closed it off a bit to come down to 225-230 and it was around there most if the time. Had to run to Home Depot (actually 2 of them) to get stuff and when I got back it was around 210 so I cranked it up a bit and brought it up to maybe 235 or so then for the last 90 mins or so I had it running around 290 or so.

Looks like your ribs turned out great!!

I just done a half dozen meaty baby backs on my UDS yesterday with no foil. Top rack stalled at 174 for about 40 minutes.

Bottom rack at 180 for about the same amount of time. Cooked them @ 255.