Kamado Joe Big Joe

Marbque

$100 is $100. One might spend $10000 or more on meat and other food that will pass through that grill, it doesn't mean the grill should cost that amount. It actually has no bearing on the price of the grill.

Every time I see this train of thought, it only helps to prove the opposite. Any savings up front is more money that can be spent on food.

Every time I see this train of thought, it only helps to prove the opposite. Life is too short to waste time and energy worrying about a 1% variance in my total food and cooking equipment budget. ^_^

I’m just kidding. Seriously, it’s not that one of us is right and one of us is wrong about the $100, because it’s not about “$100 is $100.” What a lot of people forget is that two different people may come to completely different buying decisions given the same situation because we all have different priorities in our lives.

Case in point: bferne’s avatar says that he cooks on a Kamado Joe. (I’m assuming he’s male.) Whatever he paid for his Kamado Joe, I know plenty of people that would only spend a maximum of $100 less than what he paid for his grill, and consider any amount of money more than that to be a complete and utter waste. But I doubt that bferne sees it that way, even if $100 is $100. And I would completely support his decision to pay whatever it was that he paid for his grill as long as that was what made him happy and satisfied with the purchase, regardless what the folks that would never spend that kind of money on a grill would say.

For me, I’ve found that I’ll comparison shop up to a point, and after that it’s far more annoying for me to do more comparison shopping than what the amount of additional money I would save would be worth. I just don’t get that much satisfaction from remembering how much I saved when I bought any particular item. But that’s just me.

And again, there’s no right or wrong in this. It’s good to take a look at things from a different perspective. As long as you’re happy with your decision, that’s the important thing. 

Wilbur, you last post is the complete opposite of "if $200 sways you on the grill purchase, you can't afford the meat to cook on it" that you stated earlier. I agree everyone has different thresholds and tolerances, but to assume that is silly. That is like saying if you haggle for the price of a car you can't afford to drive it. One has no bearing on the other..

No, what I’m saying is that in the long run, the amount of money that is saved on the haggling on the grill is going to be a very small part of what you’re going to be spending on cooking food for friends and family, and having a great time doing so. Saying “if $200 sways you on the grill purchase, you can't afford the meat to cook on it” is my way of making that point.

You may decide that the haggling is still worthwhile. I may not. But that doesn’t mean that one of us is right and the other is wrong.

No, what I’m saying is that in the long run, the amount of money that is saved on the haggling on the grill is going to be a very small part of what you’re going to be spending on cooking food for friends and family, and having a great time doing so. Saying “if $200 sways you on the grill purchase, you can't afford the meat to cook on it” is my way of making that point.

You may decide that the haggling is still worthwhile. I may not. But that doesn’t mean that one of us is right and the other is wrong.

Tell you what, took me about 15 minutes or less to "set up" any of my Kamado Joe's.....they're fully assembled at the factory with the exception of the stand that takes a whopping 4 screws. Bbqguys.com will ship to your doorstep for free.

if anyone in the position in life where you have to pay someone $200 to turn 4 screws (with the exception of a handicap that prevents) then you have my pity.

Ps, do the local grill guys come back and light it as well, what does that cost lol

Ps, do the local grill guys come back and light it as well, what does that cost lol

How can anyone possibly answer that unless you specify matches, fire starters (and brand), Doritos, cotton balls, blow lighter, chimney starter, torch or two sticks. Seriously. Have you never prepared an RFQ?

Tell you what, took me about 15 minutes or less to "set up" any of my Kamado Joe's.....they're fully assembled at the factory with the exception of the stand that takes a whopping 4 screws. Bbqguys.com will ship to your doorstep for free.

if anyone in the position in life where you have to pay someone $200 to turn 4 screws (with the exception of a handicap that prevents) then you have my pity.

You obviously did not read the whole thread. The local dealer is CHEAPER than BBQguys also ($1,399), but with tax it is only $4 cheaper, BUT they include free inside delivery and setup. $200 is the difference from the costco road show ($1,199) which is 1 1/2 hours away and would require me to pick it up with my 13 year old son and haul it home in the wife's minivan, where I would have to move it again a week later when we move to the new house. 

$200 … costco road show which is 1 1/2 hours away … pick it up with my 13 year old son … move it again a week later

win. Money in your pocket for meat.

win. Mini road trip.

win. Time with your son.

win. One whole week of cooking - maybe try and eat that $200 worth of meat.

$200 … costco road show which is 1 1/2 hours away … pick it up with my 13 year old son … move it again a week later

win. Money in your pocket for meat.win. Mini road trip.win. Time with your son.win. One whole week of cooking - maybe try and eat that $200 worth of meat.

If I lived closer, my son and I would do it for you for $175 :P

How can anyone possibly answer that unless you specify matches, fire starters (and brand), Doritos, cotton balls, blow lighter, chimney starter, torch or two sticks. Seriously. Have you never prepared an RFQ?

Dude, I LOVE that you get my twisted humor, no more KG hiatus-s (is that a word?) for you.

When I bought my Vision at Canadian Tire, they had a sign in the BBQ section saying "Delivery: $40"...so for $40 I happily paid it (didn't have a choice, it wasn't going to fit in my car).   But the $40 price I'm sure was more geared to the lighter propane ones, not the ceramic.  When the guys showed up, I asked them to take it to the back yard for me and gave them an extra $20.  Was worth it for me, not easy to move by yourself. :)