Wholesale source for Frontier USA made lump in Illinois..

Glenn

Hi all,

I'm running out of the Frontier lump that was on sale in May that I found out about here, and started looking for a local wholesaler.  If you are near Schaumburg, Il, Apache Supply

www.apachesupply.com sells 34 lb. bags of Frontier (made in USA) lump for 16.50 per bag.  I work in the area and they'll have 4 bags waiting for me to pick up on Thursday!  They don't have a storefront so I had to make arrangements for pickup.  I didn't ask about shipping cost but if you're in the area, it sounds like a pretty good price.

This is my second purchase of lump for the new Big Joe and everything that guy churns out has come out fantastic.

Thanks to all for the recipes, ideas, and advice I've found on this site!

-Glenn

Just picked up a bag from Apachesupply.com these people are great. They are actually closed today. I called and spoke with Charlotte. Me Charlotte informed me that they were closed today but I was morn welcome to come over there and pick up a bag of lump since they will be there for the next 30 minutes. When I arrived Doug and the kids greeted me. Very nice family. They treated me like I was important. I only purchased 1 bag. If this lump works out for me, I have found my supplier. Plus they are 15 minutes from work[emoji16]

Glad to hear you got one Mabzmuzik, I picked up 3 and popped one open to do some burgers and sausage on Thursday.  It seemed like there were more larger pieces in the bag than with the RO stuff I have and I didn't notice any issues with sparking etc.  the stuff seemed to burn hot and lit relatively easily.

Glad to hear you got one Mabzmuzik, I picked up 3 and popped one open to do some burgers and sausage on Thursday. It seemed like there were more larger pieces in the bag than with the RO stuff I have and I didn't notice any issues with sparking etc. the stuff seemed to burn hot and lit relatively easily.

Flavoring or aroma any different than what you were you using?

One thing to remember with Frontier Charcoal, is that the stuff you buy from Apache is premium quality, US product.  It shouldn't be confused with the cheap stuff you can get at Sam's Club, even though the bag looks identical.  The stuff from Sam's may sometimes be US product, but mostly it will be a mesquite lump, bagged for Frontier in Mexico.  If you like mesquite, its fine, but that's why you'll get sparking etc.  and there's no guarantee which product you will get.  Apache sells a Mexican charcoal as well, but it's bagged and labeled as such.  If you want the premium quality Frontier Lump, buy directly from Apache, or ask them for a store or distributor near you. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By uhmump95
      I just got a 26 inch Weber kettle  for Father's day.  Since I have been using my Kamado for the last year, I love using lump charcoal.  Is there any benefit to using lump in a kettle?  I read an article on the Weber site and it said lump cooks fast on a kettle grill.  Hopefully my peeps here can give me some insight.  

Lump charcoal use on kettle please give me your thoughts.
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      So after the flu kicked my behind for about a week and getting caught up at work and a bought of sheer laziness, I got back on the Big Joe when the men came over Saturday. First, I was surprised by the amount of lump left over from my brisket cook a few weeks ago. For me at least, this pic blows a hole in the idea that colder temps burn a lot more lump. In about 9° and after 13 hours, this is the amount of lump left over.

Forgot to get a pic on the Big Joe, but I did hash browned potatoes in a CI skillet, jalapeno and cheddar scrambled eggs and my favorite kielbasa. The giant Texas sized biscuit was done in the oven.

Currently on the smoker is a spatchcocked hen with roasted veggies in my D.O. and basting with herb infused water and avacado oil

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Came accross this today. Probably old news but, new to me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kamado-Joe-Big-Block-XL-Lump-Charcoal-KJ-CHARBOX/303973185

• By EZ smoke
      I know Cowboy Lump gets mixed reviews but for $0.50/lb shipped to my door I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Cowboy® 20 lb Hardwood Lump Charcoal $9.78

Order 4 bags and they'll ship for free.

I've used a lot of RO but haven't been able to find any decent deals around me in the past 6 months. I've been using El Diablo lately and AFAIC it is decent stuff. Local walmart stores have had 40# bags for $15 but it has started to be hard to find.
    • By later4ya
      I finally found a Costco brisket up to my specs, so I going to see whether I can discern the difference between a choice packer and a prime. Granted, it would be best if they came from the same meat packer but, still... With all the talk of upcoming changes for the KJ in 2018, addressing idiot proof ease of lighting and temp control, I am wondering how many of those owners would be willing to be out in thirty plus degree weather at 2am to get one of these big boys started...

She didn't require much trimming so, I definitely lost less than a pound and a half and I think I am grossly overstating that...

Now with the rub. On second thought I need to add at least as much black pepper again in order to approach a proper Louie Mueller bark. I'll add it during the cook after the butcher paper. But, put here into back into the fridge to 'dry brine' on Wednesday.

1:45 and Big Joe is sluggish to come up to temp... shooting for 215° - 225°.