• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
John Setzler

Smoked Chili on the Kamado Joe

Tried your chili recipe yesterday with minor adjustments (minus one of the cans of beans, added 1lb of ground bison ;-) ) and it turned out great.  Thanks for sharing John, this might be my go to chili for the kamado.

Cooking chili and corn bread on a Sunday afternoon while drinking beer and watching football doesn't get any more manly than that!...of course, I'm omitting that I also did 5 loads laundry.  :oops:

Edit: I thought the chili was good that night, but had it a couple days later for lunch and the flavors really melded together(like most good stews).  Excellent.

post-6412-0-19194200-1415642642_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-52556100-1415642669_thumb.jp

For anyone who has made this chili, how many servings does the recipe make? What size dutch oven did you use? 

I am making this tonight, but want to make sure it is enough. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler

If you are looking for a perfect side dish to go with your Thanksgiving turkey, look no further! Whip up a batch of Scarborough Fair Dressing on your Kamado Joe!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds bread, cubed
      1/2 cup unsalted butter
      2 cups chopped yellow onion
      2 cups chopped celery
      3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
      3 large eggs, lightly beaten
      1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
      1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
      2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
      1 teaspoon dried thyme
      1 teaspoon sea salt
      1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat your grill to 250°F and set up for indirect cooking.

Cube your bread and spread it out on a baking tray. Place on the grill for 30-60 minutes to dry out cubes. Remove from grill and set aside.

Increase the temperature of your grill to 350°F.

In a 12" skillet or cast iron pan, melt the butter and cook the onions and celery over medium high heat for about 15 minutes until softened.
      In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, bread, broth, eggs, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix completely and return to the 12" skillet.

Cover with foil and cook on the grill for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.

Enjoy!
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      Nothing puts me in mind of fall quite like chili. Though I admit that none of my friends would ever define this as chili as it contains beans and a few other things to ease my conscience and qualify as healthy. Started out with 3lbs of ground turkey that I smoked for 3 hours on the Big Joe. Garlic and jalapenõ, cowbell, mexibelle, poblano and bell peppers that I roasted on the Joe after pulling the turkey, black and kidney beans, white onion, carrot, etc. Topped with red onion, yellow bell pepper- most of which I dropped putting the lid one- and extra sharp cheddar. I unfortunately didn't get a pic of anything on the smoker. Had to snap this picked quickly before the couples devoured the pot.

• By Dub
      Made some chili in the crockpot today.

http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/299/Slow-Cooker-Chili

Hurst products have always worked out well for me.  

I added some smoked salt, garlic, basil, bag of frozen onions & peppers and a can of habanero Rotel to this one before thickening up with a small amount of ap flour.

• By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By John Setzler

Man Cave Mustard Recipe:

1 cup whole mustard seeds
      1 cup mustard powder
      2 cups Guinness beer
      1 1/2 cups malt vinegar
      5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
      3 tablespoons honey
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      2 teaspoons salt
      2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
      3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Place the mustard seeds in a stainless steel mixing bowl and add 1 cup of the malt vinegar and 1/2 cup of the beer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. When you achieve a simmer, add the mustard seeds with their liquid and bring back to a simmer. Let simmer, stirring fairly constantly for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Transfer to mason jars or other air tight containers and refrigerate. This mustard will keep for at least six months in the fridge and probably longer. This recipe makes a little over a pint of finished mustard.

This mustard can be modified from this stage into a lot of different things. If you want a sweet honey mustard, add honey until you achieve the taste you like. If you want a spicier mustard, either add some additional cayenne pepper while simmering or add some prepared horseradish to the mustard after it has cooled.

Enjoy!