Sign in to follow this  
zachlaw

Purchasing a Vision Professional S Series

Howdy, grill maniacs. I'm about to purchase a Vision Professional S Series grill. What accessories do I need to get off the bat? I know I need an instant-read thermometer and charcoal, but not sure what else I should get as a starter. I had a gas grill previously and I'm looking to step up my grilling game. 

Welclome, zachlaw.  I anticipate you'll be getting plenty of recommendations for "must have" accessories.  My advice would be to acquire a good indirect cooking setup so that you have both direct and indirect cooking options.

I have a Vision Pro M, and loved I from the start but found the electric starter set up didn't work for me, the starters kept burning out, so now I just use the starter cubes.  I would recommend, if you are just starting with a kamado, getting the book "The Kamado Smoker & Grill" by Chris Grove.  It is a great reference, and as I read the recipes and tips I'm continually learning something.  Other than that, start with something simple like chicken, don't use extra smoke, and get a feel for how the kamado works.  Definitely an indirect cooking method as jackjumper suggested.  That can be as simple as a pizza stone on the lower rack and cook on the upper.  Welcome to the forum, and have a great time learning and cooking this winter!

Howdy, grill maniacs. I'm about to purchase a Vision Professional S Series grill. What accessories do I need to get off the bat? I know I need an instant-read thermometer and charcoal, but not sure what else I should get as a starter. I had a gas grill previously and I'm looking to step up my grilling game.

The Visions use lump charcoal. As mentioned start with something easy so you can get a feel for the Kamado.

Eventually you will want to get a diffuser. You can do a search on here to see what you need.

Have fun with your new toy....I mean your work Kamado.

I have the same grill. I haven't purchased an indirect set up yet but I'm about to pull the trigger on a CGS large adjustable rig and rig extender. Pretty pricey though. Definitely get a set of Grill Grates for it. You'll love em.

I don't use the starter  port on mine and just start my lump with a map gas torch. Very quick and easy! Enjoy

Zachlaw - congrats on getting a Vision! You're going to love the food you cook on it!

Zachary, as for the necessities, I'd get a good dual probe thermometer. I have a Maverick 732 and wouldn't do a butt or brisket or any low and slow without it. I'd also get a good instant read thermometer to go along with it. I have a ThermoWorks Thermapen. Shop Amazon for good pricing.