Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yo_quiero_fumar

A great use for leftover pulled pork

9 posts in this topic

This is a basic spanish-style rice dish using leftover pulled pork.

Arroz Con Carne de Cerdo

(Rice with Pork)

2 Cups Boiling Water

2 Cups Medium Grain Rice

1-2 Cups cooked pork, chopped

1 Package Goya Sazon

1 Tbsp Goya Sofrito

1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

1 Tsp Table Salt (optional)

First fill a teapot with more than 2 cups worth of water and set to start boiling.

Pre-heat a Caldero if you have one, or use medium sized steel sauce pan, over medium heat. I don't recommend any reactive metal pans such as copper or cast iron. After it heats a little (about 2 minutes) add the oil, allow that to heat until it shimmers (about 2-3 minutes). Then add the chopped pork and let brown until you're happy with how it looks.

0709121642.jpg

Next throw the Sazon and Sofrito in the pot, measure 2 cups of boiling water stir into the mixture. Then add the rice and stir it all up. It's easier to measure the 2 cups of rice out ahead of time and set aside in a bowl. If you want a kick of flavor add the salt now.

0709121649.jpg

0709121650.jpg

Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 25 minutes or so (do not disturb the rice, leave it alone!). The grain should be open and puffy when it's fully cooked, if it's sticky there was too much water and needs to cook longer, if crunchy add a little more water and stir the pot. Stir it up after this initial cook (there will be some rice caramelized on the bottom, that's called pegao and some people enjoy eating it), then turn off the heat and let sit for at least ten minutes.

0709121729.jpg

This is the basic recipe, it tastes great with additional ingredients such as fresh garlic, diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans, etc. Add with the rice and it will certainly kick it up a notch!

Enjoy.

mapett likes this

Yum. Looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks! The pictures just dont do it justice, it is really good and so easy to make! I know a lot of people enjoy spanish rice, throw a drained can of red beans in here and you've got it. I hope everyone can benefit from a little ethnic cooking.

I hope everyone can benefit from a little ethnic cooking.

As far as I am concerned that is as much home cooking as chicken-friend steak.

It looks delicious. It reminds me of the one that Daisy Martinez had in the Daisy Cooks. She heated her olive oil in annatto seeds to make the rice yellow and used some stuffed olives and capers in hers ( alcaparrado )-oh and a half cup of sofrito.

as you say you can put in many things. It is absolutely delicious.

It looks delicious. It reminds me of the one that Daisy Martinez had in the Daisy Cooks. She heated her olive oil in annatto seeds to make the rice yellow and used some stuffed olives and capers in hers ( alcaparrado )

as you say you can put in many things. It is absolutely delicious.

Thanks! The Sazon has ground annatto (achiote) and amarillo in it to give it that yellow color. Its very common to use olives and capers in spanish cooking but my wife hates capers and I don't like olives in anything but dirty martinis. I really recommend the Caldero, and they come in a 3 pack for cheap and will last a very long time. One thing I didnt do and should have was added a teaspoon of salt. The Sazon didnt have enough and it could have used a hint more. Ill leave that up to the cook to decide.

I do a double pack of dried beans weekly. I cut ham and brown it. I add four peppers as a mix of red, yellow, green, and Pableno diced. A onion diced and a few of cloves chopped garlic and water. The thing that makes this is the Sazon. I put about three table spoons in. With out he Sazon n it would be ordinary instead of extraordinary

This is a wonderful flavoring agent. .

Puilled pork the way you show would also be great---I have used the trimmings from the ribs.

I do a double pack of dried beans weekly. I cut ham and brown it. I add four peppers as a mix of red, yellow, green, and Pableno diced. A onion diced and a few of cloves chopped garlic and water. The thing that makes this is the Sazon. I put about three table spoons in. With out he Sazon n it would be ordinary instead of extraordinary

This is a wonderful flavoring agent. .

Puilled pork the way you show would also be great---I have used the trimmings from the ribs.

That sounds awesome, I never had made beans that way. Meaning from dry. How long do you cook them and how? Speaking of Sazon, have you tried their Ham flavored one? Also, shallots in place of onion adds a better garlic flavor, try it sometime!

Update: today I made this rice again but used Sazon with Azafran instead of the usual Coriander and Annatto and the color and flavor was much better. I also added a couple spanish olives, and it was excellent.