• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Vizguy

Largest Cast Iron Skillet that can fit on KJ Classic? (dont mind sawing off handle)

Folks, what is the largest Cast Iron Skillet that can be used on a KJ Classic?
Note: I don't mind a little hack saw action if necessary.

And more importantly, what kind of success have folks had with them?

It will be for multi purpose, such as full steak sears, deep dish pizza's, etc..

I was at Academy Sports last night, and the Lodge 15" skillet was $39.

The smaller13.25" was $35

I didn't have a tape measure to get an idea of the true diameters with handle removed.

Thanks

Vizguy - visualizing stuff "everywhere"

The 13" does pretty much whatever I want it to. A 15" may just fit, but I don't really know if you need the additional 2 inches. Good luck with your selection and happy cooking. By the way the pan seared chicken is a really fun cook. The recipe is in the poultry section. 

Ummm you can get a frying pan and saw off the handle, but they already make cast irons without long handles.

Something like a dutch oven is usually the diameter of a skillet without a long handle. It will cook the same as well.

Fits  a little better than a skillet.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DOL3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Handles/dp/B00063RWYI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414169377&sr=8-4&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven

That's the same as a 10.25 skillet.

One with short handles (large diameter though)

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L17SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-17-inch/dp/B00063RWVG/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&srs=2595663011&ie=UTF8&qid=1414169429&sr=1-5&keywords=lodge

Smaller diameter cast iron wok:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14W3-Black-14-inch/dp/B00063RXQK/ref=sr_1_19?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1414169524&sr=1-19&keywords=lodge

I got a 10" Dutch Oven recently.  But I only have a small Big Green Egg.  So could not fit anything larger. 

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/14750-picked-up-a-new-piece-of-lodge-ci/?p=171932

Like others have posted, a Dutch Oven can do everything a frying pan can do, and it can also do this!  :-D

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/14750-picked-up-a-new-piece-of-lodge-ci/?p=172423

Why ruin a good piece of Cast Iron with a hack saw? That's just plain wrong!   This Lodge Skillet is 17 inches. That is the largest you will find that will fit on a Classic, plus you won't have to do a hack job on it. My Joes see Cast Iron weekly....Great Stuff!!!

post-3565-0-24805100-1414199248.jpg

Caution ... The Lodge 17" skillet shown in the post above will NOT fit in the Kamado Joe Classic II.

I ordered it based on the post above and now am having to try to return it. It's close, but the Kamado lid will not fit.

I love to cook "chicken under a brick" (usually use bone-in, skin on thighs) and my family loves it (all 6 of us). 

My wife is not a fan at all of the oil that pops out all over the stove top, etc.  

I'm hoping to use the big skillet to cook "chicken under a brick" on my new Kamado Joe classic II over charcoal ... hoping I can put 10 chicken thighs in the big skillet ....

6 hours ago, Edward Cook said:

The description and some reviews say the overall diameter is over 18" so this may be a little big for a Classic Joe. At least Amazon has good returns if it doesn't work and you didn't have to cut anything.

Personally I'd go with a 15" and cut the handle. It should take less then 5 minutes with a new hacksaw blade and the exposed end will season to a point where you'll never know. 

When I did this I did smooth the cut with some sand paper. Cast iron is soft and easy to cut and sand.