Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Pig Candy

post-1-0-99564200-1414355488_thumb.jpg

I decided to make Pig Candy this weekend since it's been a while since my last batch.  I also decided to step this up a notch above my own efforts and most of what I have seen in the past.  You MUST give this recipe a try if you like Pig Candy!

Pig Candy Recipe:

Ingredients:

Wright brand THICK SLICED BACON (about 10 slices)

Corn Syrup for basting

1 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons TANG instant breakfast drink mix

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground clove

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Preheat your grill to 350°F and set up for indirect cooking.  

Mix all the dry ingredients together.  Place the bacon strips on a cooking rack on a foil-lined pan.  Baste the bacon with a light coating of corn syrup and then sprinkle on the sugar mixture.  Let sit for 10 minutes and then flip the bacon over and repeat the process.  Cook for 35-45 minutes or until you reach your desired level of doneness.

This stuff is awesome!  You can simply eat it as a snack or you can use it for a lot of other things.  Try these ideas:

Chop it finely and use it in your chocolate chip cookie mix, sprinkled on ice cream, or as a salad topper!

Tang an interesting ingredient for sure. Looks good. Going to make some pig candy right before I go to my sisters on Thanksgiving. I am sure they have never had it.

Will have to try some tang. Does that make it astronaut candy?

When I saw the corn syrup ingredient it made me think of molasses.

You could use molasses, maple syrup, honey, or anything else like that.  You could also omit that ingredient if you wanted to.  I just wanted to use something that would make the sugar mixture stick a little better.  Corn syrup does that without imparting a flavor.  I didn't want to interfere with the flavor profile I had built in the rub... :)

Thanks for this post!

I made my first batch as part of my hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit! Everyone loved it. I did mine slightly different. I picked up some nice thick cut bacon from Sam's Club and basted it with maple syrup. All I did for the brown sugar was mix in some Chinese five spice powder and some cayenne pepper. It made for a nice exotic flavor with a hint of heat. Very tasty and I will be making this again soon!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Dub
      Son called me 15 mins before dinner was supposed to be on the table......said his vegetarian girlfriend would be coming with him to dinner.

My #### went into scramble mode.   A little notice from him would've been mighty nice....coulda done much better.

I've already been in carnivore mode all day......can't imagine why.

Pig Candy appetizer put on the grill..

• By John Setzler
      Man Cave Mustard Recipe:

1 cup whole mustard seeds
      1 cup mustard powder
      2 cups Guinness beer
      1 1/2 cups malt vinegar
      5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
      3 tablespoons honey
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      2 teaspoons salt
      2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
      3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Place the mustard seeds in a stainless steel mixing bowl and add 1 cup of the malt vinegar and 1/2 cup of the beer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. When you achieve a simmer, add the mustard seeds with their liquid and bring back to a simmer. Let simmer, stirring fairly constantly for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Transfer to mason jars or other air tight containers and refrigerate. This mustard will keep for at least six months in the fridge and probably longer. This recipe makes a little over a pint of finished mustard.

This mustard can be modified from this stage into a lot of different things. If you want a sweet honey mustard, add honey until you achieve the taste you like. If you want a spicier mustard, either add some additional cayenne pepper while simmering or add some prepared horseradish to the mustard after it has cooled.

Enjoy!
    • By John Setzler
      4 cups cauliflower rice (make from whole cauliflower in food processor)
      8 oz diced chicken breast (or your favorite meat/protein) tossed in 1 tsp oil
      1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
      1 cup diced carrots
      1 cup diced onion
      2 cloves minced garlic
      1 tablespoon sesame oil
      2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
      2 beaten eggs
      Preheat your Kamado Joe to about 400 degrees in the dome.  Place the cast iron wok on the lower position with the accessory rack and let the wok preheat with the grill.
      Brown the chicken in the wok, remove and set aside.   Add the sesame oil and saute the onions and the carrots until the carrots soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue stirring for about one minute.  Add the cauliflower rice and stir constantly for 5-6 minutes.  Add the peas and stir for another minute or two.  Add the chicken back to the wok and mix completely.  Push the mixture to the back of the wok and add the beaten eggs.   Cook the eggs and mix with the rice.  Add the soy sauce and stir for another minute or two.  Remove from the wok and serve hot!
      Enjoy!