Proper setup?

Knuckles

^^ I think that your set up has the deflectors too low as well. Not good for the high heat in such a confined area I guess

The heat deflectors were as high up as I could get them with the stone on top. I don't know how I could have gotten them any higher

That's the same setup that has worked best with me....with one tweak needed......try adding a smallish air gap between the heat deflector stones and the pizza stones....some washers.....bolts.....etc.

We're u referring to my setup or boscos? Trying to get a feel for if this setup is ok or not. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize Joe, my best friend

Your setup.....between the deflectors and the pizza stone......only if you weren't happy with the crust.

My particular stone needed the gap.   Your toppings look perfectly done.  If the bottom crust is to your liking then I wouldn't change a thing.  If the bottom crust is overly done then a gap may help.

How do you set ypurs up Dub??

Exactly like I said earlier.....just like Knuckles did....but with a 1/4" gap between the stones.......but my pizza stone needed it as it retained heat more efficiently than the heat deflectors.

so what did you use to put a gap between them>???  washers I think you said right?

Don't tell his wife, but I think he used stainless steel flatware form the kitchen. I have seen people used nuts, or copper pipe elbows. Anything will work as long as you have an air gap and NO zinc metal( galvanized) hardware. Please no zinc posining!

so what did you use to put a gap between them>???  washers I think you said right?

Don't tell his wife, but I think he used stainless steel flatware form the kitchen. I have seen people used nuts, or copper pipe elbows. Anything will work as long as you have an air gap and NO zinc metal( galvanized) hardware. Please no zinc posining!

Yup.....I confess to being an idiot and grabbing the wrong thing to gap it with....but the results were excellent with this soap stone.  I love it.

Oh, she never found out, either. :rofl:

kMRdIA6.jpg

I have not done a pizza cook yet on the big joe, but when I did them on the akorn I put the smokin stone on the top grate with the pizza stone right on top. I wouls say your set up looks great and as long as it lets the heat out from the fire bowl you are OK. 

I was thinking of something like this to use as spacers and to raise the pizza stone to the right height. But I'm not sure if they would be stable enough, and I would need to figure out the optimal height. Maybe bricks would be better

http://www.tuckerspottery.com/tkps/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=74&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=339&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

if you watch John's set up in the big joe in this video he sets the deflector plates on the top rack and the stone right on top. http://www.youte.com/watch?v=AbRMNDm85Kg&feature=youtu.be 

It all depends on the type of stones you use and the results you are getting.

I was happier with the results I got by ensuring there is a gap.  It simply depends on your particular gear and preferences.  No right way.....no wrong way.....just what works best for you.