Sign in to follow this  
yo_quiero_fumar

Surprised there aren't more owners on here...

I would think that seeing as the cypress hill grill was being sold at Lowes it was a pretty popular item, but this section is so deserted there's digital tumbleweeds rollin by! What gives? Ive seen one in person and it feels really solid and just as good as the BGE. Any input?

They had some issues with fireboxes at one time. A person on the Addicted to BBQ Forum bought one and ended up using a firebox from a different company. You can read about it there.

I've looked it over at my Lowe's, it seems like a very solid grill. A couple things against it are the color, and, like a problem that keeps many kamado makers from really taking off, such as Grill Dome, is a lack of a viable product line.

You walk into a BGE dealer and there is the grill, and there are a wide assortment of racks to go with it, and there is an end cap that has probably 20 or more accessories to purchase. This makes you realize the true versatility of the grill, and why you might pay that kind of money for it.

You walk into a Lowe's, on the other hand, and you just have the grill sitting there, often times not put together as well as it could be, with no accessories, whatsoever, to go with it. The only thing that comes to mind is, "That's a lot of money for a 19" grill."

There is a lot of truth in the saying, "It's all in the marketing". BGE is successful because of their very well fitting plate setter, their pizza stone, their grilling grates, their BBQ brushes, and accessories their salt n' pepper shakers, their corn holders, their wok, their vegetable holder, their charcoal, and I know I'm missing about a half dozen other things that surround the L & XL grill they have at our local hw store.

So, in summary, I think the problem lies almost more in the grill's marketing than its quality, from the putrid green color to its kind of hokey name, Bayou Classic has a huge opportunity to grow their market share by being in most Lowes throughout the US, and right now, I would have to say Vision is winning the Large Retailer marketing nitch, over at Home Depot,with superior customer service and superior viable product line. I understand Vision will soon be introducing a large line of kamado accessories for their Classic and Pro products, available on their website and at HD.

That grill must only be sold at some Lowes stores... It's not on the floor at any of my local Lowes shops...

I've only seen it at one in the area, in the 'nice' town north of here.

I've looked it over at my Lowe's, it seems like a very solid grill. A couple things against it are the color, and, like a problem that keeps many kamado makers from really taking off, such as Grill Dome, is a lack of a viable product line.

You walk into a BGE dealer and there is the grill, and there are a wide assortment of racks to go with it, and there is an end cap that has probably 20 or more accessories to purchase. This makes you realize the true versatility of the grill, and why you might pay that kind of money for it.

You walk into a Lowe's, on the other hand, and you just have the grill sitting there, often times not put together as well as it could be, with no accessories, whatsoever, to go with it. The only thing that comes to mind is, "That's a lot of money for a 19" grill."

There is a lot of truth in the saying, "It's all in the marketing". BGE is successful because of their very well fitting plate setter, their pizza stone, their grilling grates, their BBQ brushes, and accessories their salt n' pepper shakers, their corn holders, their wok, their vegetable holder, their charcoal, and I know I'm missing about a half dozen other things that surround the L & XL grill they have at our local hw store.

So, in summary, I think the problem lies almost more in the grill's marketing than its quality, from the putrid green color to its kind of hokey name, Bayou Classic has a huge opportunity to grow their market share by being in most Lowes throughout the US, and right now, I would have to say Vision is winning the Large Retailer marketing nitch, over at Home Depot,with superior customer service and superior viable product line. I understand Vision will soon be introducing a large line of kamado accessories for their Classic and Pro products, available on their website and at HD.

I have to agree, when I'm contemplating a grill/car/anything I want good product support and plenty of options for it. I also think that they aren't pushing it enough. They need someone like The Water Boy pushing this grill at the superbowl or something.

The one at my local Lowes already has a cracked fire box and it has never been lit. At a price between 800 and 900 i would buy a BGE or a Vision.

i do not know if they sold any but the one on the floor looks like the one I saw in the spring.

Here is what they say over on Amazing Ribs.

Bayou Classic Cypress Grill

We have read too many complaints from users about about the firebox cracking, even shattering into pieces to waste much space on this one. However well or badly they are made, the company's website doesn't inspire confidence in the product or the company itself. We suggest turning your attention to one of its better-established competitors. - Scot Murphy

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_g ... okers.html

i would jump on one for $275 though.

I've got to tell you I've never heard of this kamado style cooker.

Having taught strategic marketing at the university level, I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you build a better mousetrap, the world WILL NOT beat a pathway to your door!

Maybe there is a consulting gig available here ...

I also looked at it a Lowe's same reaction and for me the $900 they wanted at my Lowe's--- I would look else where.

My local hardware store can get it their price for $600. If the company really stands behind the unit and fixes the fire box breaking problem then. The lid is still very heavy.

Lowes prices are all over the board. Lowes in NC sells them for $699. During a 4 day stretch at Christmas, I cooked 6 lbs of moink balls, 5 lbs of sea turtle eggs, 4 beer butt chickens, an 18 lb turkey, apple pie and 4 16 inch pizzas. All turned out great and I am now officially on a diet. Owned my grill for a year with no issues other than gasket replacement.

Just received my bayou classic last week and I have used it twice, I bought it

From my local Lowes here in Houston and they delivered it for free. I paid 699 if you look on their website that is the listed price. So far so good. There are a few things I have notice so far. The bottom vent does not set up against the body of the grill, so I don't know it that let's too much air in. Second, the cast iron vent assembly leaks air when choked down, and I've noticed smoke coming out between the grill and vent assembly. Don't know if that's normal. Overall, I'm happy with it so far.