Heat Diffusers/Deflectors

Everyone that has a good "seal" on their Akorn and can hold the low temperatures for long periods of time 225°F and below, please post what size and type of diffuser u are using be it 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 "or square pizza pan, water pan, cookie sheet, pizza stone (size-thickness), foiled rack, the actual Akorn smoking stone or whatever just to get an idea what is working and what's not! I realize there are lots of other factors at play here but I am very curious about this one!

I use a large cast iron griddle that I have had for some time. I put it on a grill grate intended as a charcoal grate for a 22.5 inch weber kettle. I find it to be just a bit too large so I am planning to try and use an angle grinder to reduce it's diameter about 2 inches. Never tried to "cut" cast iron with an angle grinder so we will see. If it shatters I will probably just go buy a ceramic diffuser made for the Akorn.

I have sealed my lid, air intake, and ash catcher with nomex (instructions found elsewhere on this site). I light my charcoal using the "volcano" method with cotton balls soaked in alcohol, let it come to about 170 degrees then close the air intake completely and open the top vent completely. I can stay between 225 and 250 all night like this. If that is too hot I close the top vent just a bit.

My mods:  

This is the pizza stone I use.  I wrap in foil to keep it from soaking up drippings. 2 years old, no cracks or blemishes.  I sit it right on top of the 19" weber replacement grate. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E1FDB/ref=pe_228660_24344220_email_r_im

I sealed my bottom vent using epoxy putty wrapped just around the hole under the vent assembly.  Nomex tape would have worked just fine, but I had this stuff.  

I sealed the ash pan with Red RTV gasket sealant around the seams and nomex felt tape attached with a thin layer of 5 minute epoxy.

The lid has a nomex felt tape on the bottom and the factory seal on top.

I built a lump basket from spread steel mesh, attached to the bottom grate.  

I also use a PartyQ temp controller - If you can afford any temp controller, get it - you'll thank me.  If you stack your lump properly, once you get it stabilized you can walk away for hours or go to sleep without worrying about the thing getting out of control or going out.

once the partyq adapter was installed, I sealed it using nomex tape.  No air gets in that doesn't come through the PQ fan.

hth.

I believe I have better control with the smokin stone over cheap pizza stone and as fas as a cheap stone breaks it has paid for itself.. But with that being said the startup process, arrangement of charcoal and how much charcoal you have lit far far outweigh the diffuser in running 225 and below. . 

If you seriously wanna run 225 or below which IMO just wastes time other than jerky, fish or bacon.. Take a bag of lump, smash it on the concrete like a bag of ice.. Breaks it in to small pieces.. Put it in a kamado, use chips instead of chunks.. The really small charcoal pieces coupled with the chips restricts airflow and thus enables one to easily attain lower temps.. 

Everytime I dump the last of a bag in the kamado I have my vent settings much more open than normal as all the "fines" fill in the holes restricting airflow. 

First off, I agree with icedturks and toe. I prefer 250 - 275.

But with that being said, the are times where a lower temp is called for (mostly when I want to put it on before I go to bed, instead of getting up at 3 am.)

I have the akorn stone, but prefer the weber replacement charcoal grate wrapped in foil.

It is big enough that I actually think it helps keep the temp down by restricting the air flow. I might be wrong about that, but it sure seems that way to me.

Sometimes I poke holes near the edge of the foil to let the drippings reach the coals.

I have the akorn stone, but prefer the weber replacement charcoal grate wrapped in foil.

It is big enough that I actually think it helps keep the temp down by restricting the air flow. I might be wrong about that, but it sure seems that way to me.

Sometimes I poke holes near the edge of the foil to let the drippings reach the coals.

The reason for a diffuser is to stabilize and even out the temp throughout the kamado and eliminate any possible hot spots from food sitting directly above the hot coals.

If you have to rely on the diffuser to restrict the air flow something else is wrong. Vent settings and a properly sized fire is what is used to control air flow and temp.

I use a cake pan with the center cut out large enough to drop a wood chunk through it.  The hole is about the size of a can of tuna, and the cake pan is 15" diameter.  At first I was using sand in the pan covered in foil, the sand was added for thermal mass and the foil was added for easy clean-up and to protect the sand from grease drippings. 

When I decided to cut the hole out to allow me to add wood through it, I decided to try it without the sand and have stuck with it, for me I wasn't seeing much difference with or without the thermal mass, but some others like it.

I cut a hole through the center of my grate to allow access for the wood as well, although you can obviously just use the removable center piece on the Akorn grate if you don't mind the extra step, which I did.

The cake pan setup is strictly for low/slow cooks for me now.

For regular grilling, I'm using the aluminum sheets cut out to fit under the grill grate.  These prevent flare-ups but still allow plenty of heat through to get nice grill marks, etc.  This was a big upgrade to me, over grilling with the cake pan diffuser, or grilling with no diffuser, sort of the best of both worlds.

So on regular grilling, I have no cake pan diffuser or weber grate b/w the coals and the top grate, just the aluminum sheets at grate level. 

Of course I can still drop a chunk or chips in right through the middle of the grate when I need them this way as well. 

post-6195-0-87100200-1415195138_thumb.jp

The reason for a diffuser is to stabilize and even out the temp throughout the kamado and eliminate any possible hot spots from food sitting directly above the hot coals.

If you have to rely on the diffuser to restrict the air flow something else is wrong. Vent settings and a properly sized fire is what is used to control air flow and temp.

I agree whole 100%. Perhaps I explained myself wrong. I don't rely on the diffuser to restrict air flow. But it just seems to me, on my grill, it is easier to keep the temp down under 225 or 200 when I use that set up. I assume it is because there are less gaps.

I agree whole 100%. Perhaps I explained myself wrong. I don't rely on the diffuser to restrict air flow. But it just seems to me, on my grill, it is easier to keep the temp down under 225 or 200 when I use that set up. I assume it is because there are less gaps.

Just be careful.. Back when this forum was just getting started I remember folks trying larger and larger diffusers.. If I remember correctly an some long term members can probably say yay or nay but some folks had so much diffuser they held so much heat down around the ashpan they ran into problems:melting handles, warping, paint etc.. 

Just be careful.. Back when this forum was just getting started I remember folks trying larger and larger diffusers.. If I remember correctly an some long term members can probably say yay or nay but some folks had so much diffuser they held so much heat down around the ashpan they ran into problems:melting handles, warping, paint etc.. 

Good to know, I could totally see that happening. Thank You.