bosco

bosco's carne asada tacos

Ok, CC recommended that I post this recipe for all to have.  So here it is.  Carne Asada Steak tacos.

I like using flank steak as I can never find skirt steak locally.  I like to butterfly the flank if it is thick and have two equal pieces if possible.  that gets the mojo deeper into the meat.

Mojo:

4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
2 limes, juiced
1 orange, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix everything and put it in a large ziploc or container.  Let meat marinate for at least 8-24 hours.  It should look like this

5EB27D9B-7040-4B0C-B9D8-BEF10ED5720B.jpg

I prefer cooking it around 350 indirect and then hit it on the hot side towards the end.  I find if the marinade hit the meat well enough, it turns a nice pink colour once it is cooked.

3E0BF92A-4992-4520-87B6-004B2492921C.jpg

863130B4-7BB3-4A0C-BE4B-9336F56F3C37.jpg

23C889B8-9ACF-4F46-A737-251F9DCC3822.jpg

Pico De Gallo:

4 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
1 Serrano chile, minced
1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt

I like this to sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours as it gives everything a chance to blend

F8ED1078-5F50-4314-995C-A63B353783D4.jpg

Guacamole

4 diced avocados
2 diced Vine tomatos
1/2 red onion finely diced
1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
2 garlic cloves finely diced 
2 limes juiced
2 diced jalapeños  
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
1/2 tsp coarse pepper

1/4 to 1/2 tsp of cumin 

I like using soft shells and baking them in my taco rack on the grill prior to making the tacos.  Hit the tacos with a small squeeze of lime and that is my recipe!

379475B8-1F8B-415F-8E2A-BA68C89E07C8.jpg

Wow, that's a really small can of beer, it's only the size of a Tabasco bottle. ;)  This is another one going on the todo list. I love flank steak, it's so difficult to screw it up.

If you're in Costco regularly, let me know when you see Cholula hot sauce in a giant bottle.  I look for it most times I go, but these past few months I haven't been able to go even once per month.

Where do you buy it in Buffalo?  I was in and out of a number of stores today but didn't get the chance to go into any grocery stores.  It was already a huge waste of time having stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond plus Home Goods.

Walmart superstore has it and so does tops.  I picked up tiger sauce that Dub had recommended as well from tops.  I also got a tops bonus card which turned out to be amazing for deals.  

The last time I was in a Tops, which was the previous time I was in the US, I was scared out of it right quick after checking the meat prices.  More than I had recently paid at Fortino's up here before exchange rate. Today buying US costs about $1.17 Canadian. For me it's looking at the other end before deciding to spend US - the bank buys it from me at $1.10 today.