In our quest to be healthier the wifey and I are looking at one of the fancy blenders to start making breakfast smoothies everyday.

I plan to also us it for pseudo food processor duty to make rub pastes and try blending up drip pan contents. Also want to make our baby food with it.

After looking at them in person I'm leaning towards the blendtec or possibly vitamix.

One frustrating thing with the vitamix is so many of the people touting them can't say why they like them over the blendtec.

I'm leaning towards the blendtec, primarily because it's $300 new at costco while the vitamix is almost $500. All pricey appliances have to come from costco, not too interested in the refurb deals.

What do you use and recommend?

I am a very pleased vitamix owner.

I went with a vitamix because the reputation they have primarily. I opted out of the blendtec because it's digital with plastic over top of buttons and it just seemed like more could go wrong.

I added the dry goods container so I can do both.

The vitamix destroys the hell out of stuff better than any blender that I have ever owned.

I started juicing last year and found it to be to messy and wasteful. We started blended our snoothies and I have loved it every single day since last December.

I make smoothies all the time, have boiled soups, mixed rubs, grinded spices to name a few things so far.

Spend the money and get the vitamix. Best warranty on the market for blenders as well!!!

Blendtec actually has the best warranty right now, at 8 years. :) But what doesn't impress me about them is how light they are. They perform wonderfully but they don't feel like high quality materials and construction to me.

I've used a Vitamix a lot over the years as well, and together these two brands are at the top of the blending world. I'm not sure why Breville and other companies don't change over their container and blade design to better compete.

The Blendtec at Costco here in Canada is the older "Total Blender" model. The newer models feature touch controls and potentially more powerful motors. The one caveat at the moment with their top model is the motor and program settings seem to be too much for the rubber gasket in the container to handle. That gasket will definitely get destroyed - there's no way around this at the moment. Blendtec will send out new jars, but that can get old fast.

Vitamix's new shorter product looks quite good, but the top model has a less powerful motor than the Blendtec, less capacity jar, one year shorter warranty and is more expensive. I haven't seen one of these new ones in person, but the older ones always felt very solid and sturdy, much more so than the Blendtec. The new models claim to be quieter, which is always a good thing. Blendtecs are INSANELY LOUD.

I'm still also looking at both brands, but not likely to buy anything until next year.

We've been a VM owner for about 4 years now. I remember very well going through this same dilemma...VM vs BT. I did a ton of research, and bottom line, both blenders kick butt! Probably the biggest reason that we chose the VM was this...I started googling VitaMix vs Blendtec...there is sooooo much info out there, and much of that info in the form of informative blogs. I found that after much reading, it was very obvious that many "foodies/health nuts" prefer the VM over the BT. There were varying reasons for this, but to be honest, this is what tipped me over to the VM side. I can tell you this...the VM is hands down the best blender we have ever owned. Built rock solid and performs flawlessly every time. Oh yeah, it gets used 7 days/week.

Personally, I don't think you can really go wrong with either.  I think the Vitamix is a slightly better quality blender, but you also pay more for it as well...one is really, really good, and the other is really, really, really good.   :)

I have a Blendtec with 3 jars...the Wildside/Fourside both came with it, and I added the Twister - I make Almond and Cashew butter all the time with this one.

Fitting under the cabinet was a no-go (at the time) for the Vitamix so I went Blendtec.  No regrets...I think I have about 500 blends on it now (crazy...I always looks at that number and think Hey...that blend just costs be $.80 (and dropping!).

Our most used blend - ice-cream made with frozen bananas. 

Sister has a VM and loves it. She found it at the Tuesday Morning Store at a Great Price 10 years ago.  You have narrowed it down to apparently the two best brands. So if I throw in my dos pesos in, my vote is VM. 

Modern - ! word .... Vitamix. 

I know I"m going to catch flack for this, but you buy anything else you're wasting your money!

Vitamix - I've abused mine throwing Margarita parties for about 7 years now and it NEVER misses a lick.  You'll pay a little more than for the cheap ones, but then you'll never buy another Vitamix!  

Pretty much everyone I've read that compared both (which includes Cook's Illustrated) preferred the Vitamix.

As for me, I'm content with my little $35 Ninja...

SWMBOI has burned through more Ninjas making her smoothie in the mornings than you can imagine.  I bought her a Vitamix.  She's still using it and thanking me every day!  Don't anyone ask how she thanks me ....   :good:

I can not compare the two because i have no experience with the Blendtec. From my research the Blendtec is a very good machine. At a $200 savings i would strongly consider it.

I finally bought a Vitamix and have never regretted it.  With a hi and lo switch and a variable speed dial you can get pretty much what ever you want. It is easy to use. I love how they have vents in the top cap so you can not pressurize it when doing hot liquids. But starting at low speed helps there also.

I was at a Sam's and they were demonstrating them. They threw kale and you know how stringy it is right into the blender. then a apple with the seeds and the center that you usually cut out then some other things and some juice. There was not any trace at all of any kind of graininess or fibers. The seeds were gone.

When you are cooking and they say to throw away the cooked carrots and celery when making a broth or stew--we just throw it into the VM and get a wonderful thickener for the broth. It really adds flavor.

I see then in the back ground in a lot of kitchens in the cooking shows.

I have looked at the Ninja and it looks to me like a standard quality blender with a square container to mimic the VM.

If you do decide to go VM look for a traveling demo show. You will save some money and get a number of extras. Or you can buy a re-conditioned one directly from VM.

We ended up buying ours at a demo at a Whole Foods store.

One note-- those who have opted  for the extra auto cycle features say they wish they had kept the money that it cost them. They find directly operating the machine is what they do because it is so easy.

When you are cooking and they say to throw away the cooked carrots and celery when making a broth or stew-

This is exactly what immersion blenders are for. Don't remove anything from the pot, just stick the end of the blender in and go to town.

To clear up one point about pricing… Both Vitamix and Blendtec have multiple models running the gamut in cost. Buying one brand over another is not necessarily going to save you any money. Blendtec has a $1500 blender if you need to burn some Benjamins in a hurry.

The newer models of both have computerized blending programs that change up the speed and operate with timed intervals and an overall program length, making them set and forget for many applications. Very nice features and it doesn't make it any easier to pick a product.