Pretty much everyone I've read that compared both (which includes Cook's Illustrated) preferred the Vitamix.

As for me, I'm content with my little $35 Ninja...

SWMBOI has burned through more Ninjas making her smoothie in the mornings than you can imagine.  I bought her a Vitamix.  She's still using it and thanking me every day!  Don't anyone ask how she thanks me ....   :good:

You gotta make sure you're using them right. The little Ninja blenders with the button on top are built for pulsing, and you have to start by doing that to break up the large chunks and ice/frozen ingredients. Only then do you finish the job by holding down the button for 20 seconds max (should be plenty). If you try to just hold down the button for a full minute or whatever, then yeah, you're gonna burn up the motor, and I'd bet that's how your wife was using it...

Seeing as the Vitamix can easily do this:

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Blendtec when you factor in the Twister Jar you have to also get with that one to do any kind of nut butter.

Really leaning toward the Vitamix Pro 750 at the moment.

Always searching for a good deal. Bed Bath and Beyond offers discounts frequently. If you get on their mailing list......a coupon for 20% on a single item will come in the mail every so often. Everyone needs more gadgets. They have the blenders mentioned through the thread. Go to their website search up the Blenders and if you are a first time subscriber to their website to get the newsletter and special deals they will email you a coupon for 20% (Single Item). There doesn't seem to be any restrictions on the one item you choose.  Also for you geeks. Text OFFER1 to 239663 and a coupon will pop up on you smart phone. After you use your 20% text coupon, the cashier will scan your coupon code right of your smart phone screen. Text STOP to the same number to stop their messages/deals from showing up on your phone. That's $100 in savings on that VM Blender. Good Luck on your search. Grind a batch of Vodka Limeade daiquiri's for me. You can substitute Kale for Limeade if your health conscious. The end result is the same.

This thread makes me think about Dan Akroyd's Bass O matic spoof.

Edit: I check Slickdeals.net sometimes, They have all sorts of Blender deals. They have Factory Reconditions with 5 year warranties.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Blendtec when you factor in the Twister Jar you have to also get with that one to do any kind of nut butter.

Costco has a new blendtec for $300 with the wild side and twister jar...

Only "gotcha" there is you have to do a LARGE amount of butter (won't do 1/4 cup etc)...whereas the twister jar let's you do smaller amounts.   But the VM wand is a great feature to break up the stalls.

Only "gotcha" there is you have to do a LARGE amount of butter (won't do 1/4 cup etc)...whereas the twister jar let's you do smaller amounts.   But the VM wand is a great feature to break up the stalls.

If you knew how much natural peanut butter we go through here in the house you'd know why I giggled when I read that. ;) I go through at least 1kg every 2 weeks @ $6 Canadian a pop.

This threading is fascinating to me. It is so interesting to see the different things people eat and the way they cook. We have a cheap Ninja and my wife says she finally has a "good" blender lol! We literally use a blender so very seldom that it is unthinkable to me to spend $500 on a blender. The interesting thing is, those of you who have them use them a lot. Obviously your cooking style is vastly different than ours.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. It makes me want to go out and buy a Vitamix but I can't for the life of me think what I would blend with it. Those of you who use them daily, what are some of the things you use it to make?

I think when people spend this kind of coin on a blender they find reason and ways to use it. I don't use a stand blender at the moment at all, just my immersion. I've wanted one for a long time (10+ years) but I've managed to keep putting it off. A the moment I figure if I can save $100 per year on peanut butter I'll be doing OK. ;)

I think when peiple spend this kind of coin on a blender they find reason and ways to use it. I don't use a stand blender at the moment at all, just my immersion. I've wanted one for a long time (10+ years) but I've managed to keep putting it off. A the moment I figure if I can save $100 per year on peanut butter I'll be doing OK. ;)

The only - and I repeat, the ONLY way this household could possibly come close to saving $100 a year on PB is if I could make authentic Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the Vitamix.

Reese's work better than roses when I need a "get out of the doghouse free" ticket. If you get my drift.

. At the moment I figure if I can save $100 per year on peanut butter I'll be doing OK. ;)

Uhm....you'll be spending more on raw peanuts than just buying the peanut butter to make 1kg.  You are going to be losing money.  Unless peanuts are free in Ontario.

You sound like my wife, trying to explain to me how she is saving me money by buying new shoes on sale.

Then just wait until you start making cashew butter, and almond butter....we spend more on nuts than meat these days!

Edited by SmallBBQr

I use the Nurtibullet for quick drinks.  Vitamix for me and the wife.  

Costco has the best deal going on the NutriBullet!

We thought about a nutribullet but not sure if it's large enough for green smoothies for two people.

$80 is a good deal, but a $300 blendtec makes a good xmas gift for my pack.

When you are cooking and they say to throw away the cooked carrots and celery when making a broth or stew-

This is exactly what immersion blenders are for. Don't remove anything from the pot, just stick the end of the blender in and go to town.

To clear up one point about pricing… Both Vitamix and Blendtec have multiple models running the gamut in cost. Buying one brand over another is not necessarily going to save you any money. Blendtec has a $1500 blender if you need to burn some Benjamins in a hurry.

The newer models of both have computerized blending programs that change up the speed and operate with timed intervals and an overall program length, making them set and forget for many applications. Very nice features and it doesn't make it any easier to pick a product.

Apples to oranges in features and the vitamix is vastly more expensive. 

The vitamix that does the programmed buttons is $600.