Addertooth

Kamado K7 Restoration

On 8/9/2017 at 0:08 AM, KamoZ said:

Since the K7 was disassembled, it's not that complicated to load it in the vehicle. You can also use towing truck parts if you have a trailer to help you transport it easily. By the way, any updates about it.

Yep, I started another thread on this group about it. It's been a bit dormant recently, been busy... Hope I can get back to restoring it soon. 

On 8/14/2017 at 2:51 PM, coferj said:

So, the refractory cement that I used on the interior of the kettle has started to flake off. I haven't had any blazes in the kettle, so this is a bit surprising. It was the Do-All plus refractory cement. Any recommendations on what to come back with? 

when i  contacted John @ Galaxy  Outdoors   Las Vegas.... for tiles a fire basket and other  things to restore my K7 he sent me a dry   product    to coat and or fill  didnt really say  what  the content was.. but said he sold it to customers who wanted to prolong the life interior of the kamado... i used to fill the cracks and wiped it clean with a sponge only filling cracks.. this spring 3 yrs later and hundreds of cooks...  developed a crack from the lower damper door half way around to back.. i used this after cleaning and wetting before applying with a rubber float an actual coating on the lower half  under the fire box only about an 1/8 to a 1/16 thick...   so far so good holding up well.. 

WP_20140814_16_42_50_Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, marauders said:

when i  contacted John @ Galaxy  Outdoors   Las Vegas.... for tiles a fire basket and other  things to restore my K7 he sent me a dry   product    to coat and or fill  didnt really say  what  the content was.. but said he sold it to customers who wanted to prolong the life interior of the kamado... i used to fill the cracks and wiped it clean with a sponge only filling cracks.. this spring 3 yrs later and hundreds of cooks...  developed a crack from the lower damper door half way around to back.. i used this after cleaning and wetting before applying with a rubber float an actual coating on the lower half  under the fire box only about an 1/8 to a 1/16 thick...   so far so good holding up well.. 

WP_20140814_16_42_50_Pro.jpg

Ok, I'll give him a call and see if he can provide some insight. Thanks @marauders

I have a RJ Kamado K7 which I purchased directly from Richard.  Can't recall the exact year but would guess it was 7-10 years ago.  I've developed a large crack in the lower bowl and would like to repair it.  Was hoping to do so from the interior and without need of removing tiles.  I would surmise from your prior post that were I to use refractory cement and strap it until cured that it would probably crack again once the straps were removed and it were heated.  Thus the need for the wires and removal of the tiles.  I am more interested in function than in aesthetics at this point.  Would filling the crack with refractory cement cause any problems?  I've seen multiple products mentioned.  Do you have any recommendations between the following:  Sanatite Refractory Mortar, Rutland Refractory Cement, Rutland Fireplace Patch and Rutland Dry Mix 211?  You may noted the original fire basket is falling apart.  Was planning to buy a new rod basket from GalaxyOutdoors.com.  Thanks for the link.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

that is quite a large fill   dremel grinder wheel from the inside..... steel wire inserted into the opening ......... ive used kiln cement with great success  amaco brand from https://www.amazon.com/Amaco-Prepared-Kiln-Cement-Jar/dp/B0044S9CE4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518476842&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=amaco+kiln+c. the kiln cement sets fast the strapping needs to ready when applying the cement  .. john galaxy outdoors can get you the coating  after the repair .. i under stand that pool tile  grout is used on the outside   

On 2/12/2018 at 5:18 PM, marauders said:

that is quite a large fill   dremel grinder wheel from the inside..... steel wire inserted into the opening ......... ive used kiln cement with great success  amaco brand from https://www.amazon.com/Amaco-Prepared-Kiln-Cement-Jar/dp/B0044S9CE4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518476842&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=amaco+kiln+c. the kiln cement sets fast the strapping needs to ready when applying the cement  .. john galaxy outdoors can get you the coating  after the repair .. i under stand that pool tile  grout is used on the outside   

I called John back in November, asking about the stuff he sent you.  He seems to have lost a bit of confidence in it.  His reasoning as to why he said it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, is that the cement doesn't seem to adhere to the dirty walls.  So, take that for what it's worth.

I've been putting polymer fortified mortar on the outside, and it seems to be withstanding much better than the cement did. As a matter of fact, I have to rebuild my firebox again.  The repair done with fiberglass and cement didn't hold up.  I am going to try to wire the circumference and mud it.

BTW, I am more and more starting to admire your tile job.  I'm trying to do the tiles on the lid, and it's giving me fits trying to line them up right.

thanks for the compliment on the tiles...  get all the old thin set  and grout off the is key to replacing tiles. i have had success using the kiln cement  for tiles and interior cracks.

alot of kamado owners clean the bottom ash  out frequently  i leave about 2-3 inches in the bottom for insulation  seems to help with the  cracks they develop.. do same with my fireplace insert in the home. little things make a difference

On 2/24/2018 at 11:12 AM, marauders said:

alot of kamado owners clean the bottom ash  out frequently  i leave about 2-3 inches in the bottom for insulation  seems to help with the  cracks they develop.. do same with my fireplace insert in the home. little things make a difference

While I have mine down rebuilding the firebox, I'm going to probably give the interior a skim coat with the polymer mortar.  I don't know if it will help, but I don't reckon it would hurt.

@maraudersOn the dome, did you start at the top, near the chimney, or around the base just above the flair?

7 hours ago, coferj said:

While I have mine down rebuilding the firebox, I'm going to probably give the interior a skim coat with the polymer mortar.  I don't know if it will help, but I don't reckon it would hurt.

@maraudersOn the dome, did you start at the top, near the chimney, or around the base just above the flair?

i started just like a tile job.. bottom up.. its not a perfect science to putting a flat tile on a round surface.  just  know your grout job will make up the difference!

On 2/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, marauders said:

i started just like a tile job.. bottom up.. its not a perfect science to putting a flat tile on a round surface.  just  know your grout job will make up the difference!

I guess I will have to remove all the tiles, and not just the loose ones, eh?

BTW, what do you lube the draft door shafts with?  When that burner gets lodged in there, it's a mofo to remove!

On 3/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, coferj said:

I guess I will have to remove all the tiles, and not just the loose ones, eh?

BTW, what do you lube the draft door shafts with?  When that burner gets lodged in there, it's a mofo to remove!

i wouldn't remove  tiles that are   solidWP_20150525_12_45_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.31312c6708cc02dc4dd02893749b13f3.jpg.....use vegetable oil ..  and the top screw spindle   i now use a Party Q   Guru  controller.. wonderful invention 

On 3/11/2018 at 5:58 PM, marauders said:

i wouldn't remove  tiles that are   solidWP_20150525_12_45_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.31312c6708cc02dc4dd02893749b13f3.jpg.....use vegetable oil ..  and the top screw spindle   i now use a Party Q   Guru  controller.. wonderful invention 

Yea, I have an original bbq guru and I love it.

What do you have the draft door taped up with?  I need something to keep the seal tight. @marauders