Kamado K7 Restoration

Addertooth

At this point, you can still take the edge of your grinder and widen the cracks to 1/8th inch wide, to a depth of 1/2 inch to make it easier to get high temp cement in, and produce a smooth surface.  Also, drill a hole to about 1 inch of depth approximately 1 inch past where the crack ends.  This will help prevent future spread of the crack (the hole will be filled in with the DAP after the cracks have been filled and compressed by the ratchet straps and 14 gauge wire. 

Hi All, I'm going through the exact same issue on my K5. All tiles appear to be intact on the base and upper dome. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the tiles and wire or will injection of DAP and the use of ratchet straps be sufficient? I would hate to have to remove and risk more cracking. Also, do you think I could powerwash the interior in order to clean sufficiently before applying the DAP? In regards to what looks like rusted up chicken wire visible in the interior corner base, would I be able to liberally coat the entire base with DAP or would layers of different materials expanding/contrasting promote further cracking? Jdickenson, I hope you don't mind me posting here. It seems like an appropriate thread since we are in the same boat. Here are some pics of my issues.

post-8623-0-88981900-1431914338_thumb.jp

post-8623-0-82123200-1431914355_thumb.jp

post-8623-0-76577500-1431914368_thumb.jp

post-8623-0-52787400-1431914381_thumb.jp

I removed all tiles so that I could do all cracks at once. I would turn yours upside down and strap it from top to bottom. I strapped mine side to side but noticed that when I moved it the bottom part would move. so I strapped from bottom to top also. .I will be installing the wire this coming weekend. .I hope with out removing straps. . I'll be making gaps and filling them in with dap

wow that's gonna look awesome! Good advice on the strap technique. I think I'll follow your lead and strap top to bottom and side to side just to play it safe. Also, I'm not sure if you made out like a bandit or I got ripped off but I purchase mine for $245. I guess time will tell if this was a mistake or not. Question for you - is your grill size 23 inches or 18 becuase I believe your base's shape is characteristic of a k5. Being that a k5 is the same grill size as a large big green egg perhaps you can use their firebox and just pick up at a local distributor. Not certain it will fit but might be worth looking in to. Anyway, best of luck with DAP process. Keep us posted! -J

Thanks - great advice! Addertooth, considering all of the tiles are still attached do you believe it is absolutely necessary to remove them and apply the wiring or would the ratchet straps and application of DAP provide sufficient support?

Home Depot doesn't carry dap fire mortar

I have fire mortar cement , would that work

john @ Galaxyoutdoors sent me a   powder mix to coat and fill the cracks in my K=7 last spring ,, holding up very well......post-4716-0-28150800-1431986593_thumb.jppost-4716-0-37121200-1431986510_thumb.jp the Stainless firebasket was the  apex of the project!   post-4716-0-76417000-1431986687_thumb.jp