Kamado K7 Restoration

Addertooth

Well, cryogenic plus torch didn't work, so one last hail Mary is in the plans.  One person attempts to rotate the top, while a (very small) electric impact wrench drives the lock nut/jam nut combination from underneath.  It may break the spider, but at this point it is the last option to get it free.  If this fails, the only option is to replace the spider anyway.  I will likely wrap the top of the refractory cement dome with wire to increase it's capacity for abuse.  Also, should it crack badly, it will keep the pieces from crashing to the ground. 

I have been giving the work a break for a day or so, to give my poor scuffed-up hands a chance to heal. The refractory cement on the inside of the dome is like sandpaper; the neck (where the spider is) restricts to a small working space. This has given me a chance to look at tile online. There are so many excellent choices; it is hard to pick one which is clearly better than the other. Red still remains my top choice, but a cobalt blue is so attractive on these Kamado grills. The Komodo Kamado site has been visited to see what options they currently offer; they have some beautiful examples of their tile work. I intend to shamelessly borrow some of the great ideas which are found on the Komodo Kamado site. Perhaps even put in a rotisserie at some distant date.

Well, the last hail Mary was tried. The top of the lid was wrapped in tape, then further cinched down with wire to re-enforce the tape (to keep the top of the lid together under the combined forces applied to it). A lock nut and jam nut were wedged together over the threaded shaft of the top damper. The 200+ plus pound step-son grabbed the top damper, to apply rotation to it. The impact wrench was put over the nuts on the shaft.

The step-son turned and heaved with all his might, the impact wrench was ran at full power.... and the damper didn't budge. A large crescent wrench replaced the impact wrench, and once again everyone heaved...... and it didn't budge.

It looks like the only remaining option is to cut the spider out, cut three slots into the top of the lid, and cement a new spider in place. Then cut and split the seized nut on the damper threaded shaft. This is one tough nut!

I don't have a welding rig (mig/tig) to weld the two halves back together again.  Also alignment of the two pieces, and making the thread continuous and smooth would be an epic challenge in itself.  Replacing the spider would be less work, and not require any tools which are not already on hand.