Kamado K7 Restoration

Addertooth

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year! I am thinking of moving my Kamado from the carport to the deck (so I can pull our vehicles in more) and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a cover? I live in Florida so the heat and humidity can be brutal sometimes. 

Also, I am going to replace the seal around the grill area as my lid is not getting a good seal anymore. I bought the Lavalock self stick seal off of Amazon that I saw people mentioned in this thread. Is there an ideal way to remove the old seal without damaging the smoker?

Happy New Year to you too! For a cover, you might inquire at one of the shops that sells custom

boat covers. They may be able to make one for you that would suit the weather conditions in your area.

I have three RJ Kamados produced and purchased in 2003. They have been sitting uncovered all these

years in the hot Arizona climate with no problem. Just wondering if you need to cover your Kamado.

I had to replace the gaskets on two of my Kamados and used a putty knife to scrape off the old adhesive.

It did the job and didn't damage anything.

Hope that helps.

So I replaced the gaskets on my K7 today and it's MUCH better. I used to have to fight it a little to stay within temp. I ended up having to take the lid gasket off because the lid didn't want to close properly and smoke was leaking out the front by the handle. It also spiked a little when I was messing with the inlet and outlet but after that it has stayed dialed right in. Didn't smoke anything today, just testing it out. I plan to do Chuck roast and chicken for pulled beef and chicken tacos so I'll let you guys know how it comes out. 

I must say, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate this forum and thread. It has provided a plethora of information and has helped me immensely. Thank you all so much. I refer back to this all the time. 

I'd be very interested to see some updated photos of your Kamados! 

Have a great night and the rest of your weekend! 

20200118_153739.jpg

20200118_153854.jpg

20200118_154819.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183818_BBQ Go.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Addertooth, your thread has been a fantastic source of information, and also an inspiration for me.

I've recently picked up an old K7 here in Australia. These grills aren't readily available over here and I'm having a hard time getting any information on it.

Is there any chance that you can post a few pictures of the diffuser set up? I'm trying to work out if I have the rack that it sits on.

Does anyone recognize this grill? It's listed as an original k7. Just wondering if it is one I should avoid as I can pick it up for a couple hundred bucks. It clearly needs some restoration, which I don't mind but don't want to get into it if the firebox will end up crumbling in a few years. Thanks for the help! 

Screenshot_20200530-111006.png

On 1/18/2020 at 8:49 PM, RaymondL87 said:

So I replaced the gaskets on my K7 today and it's MUCH better. I used to have to fight it a little to stay within temp. I ended up having to take the lid gasket off because the lid didn't want to close properly and smoke was leaking out the front by the handle. It also spiked a little when I was messing with the inlet and outlet but after that it has stayed dialed right in. Didn't smoke anything today, just testing it out. I plan to do Chuck roast and chicken for pulled beef and chicken tacos so I'll let you guys know how it comes out. 

I must say, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate this forum and thread. It has provided a plethora of information and has helped me immensely. Thank you all so much. I refer back to this all the time. 

I'd be very interested to see some updated photos of your Kamados! 

Have a great night and the rest of your weekend! 

20200118_153739.jpg

20200118_153854.jpg

20200118_154819.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183818_BBQ Go.jpg

How thick is that gasket? Also, can you post pictures of the dampener and hinge? I'd like to check it out so I can try that on mine... is it soft-closing?

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, Addertooth said:

Good work RaymondL87 on getting those gaskets replaced. Your tile looks to be in uncommonly good condition.  Your bands were the version which supported a side table; do you still have them?

Good afternoon Addertooth! Sorry for the late reply. Thank you! It is in very good condition. I bought this from its original owner last year and he did not have the tables. I'm not sure if he ever did to be honest. Back when I purchased it, I wasn't even aware that side tables were an option. 

I live down here in Florida and he kept this on an enclosed screened in patio. He told me he bought it new in 2004, but only used it ever so often because his wife didn't like smoked food. He only ever cooked on it when they had family gatherings or friends over. 

I may reach out to him about the tables though, just to see. He only lives about 25 minutes from me. 

I ended up removing the top gasket so now I just have the bottom one. I'm not sure if I got them too thick but it wasn't closing properly. Seems to get a pretty good seal. I also moved the smoker under my car port. I was in the middle of a pork butt and our lovely unannounced afternoon thunderstorms almost ruined my cook! Ha. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:24 PM, endou_kenji said:

How thick is that gasket? Also, can you post pictures of the dampener and hinge? I'd like to check it out so I can try that on mine... is it soft-closing?

He @endou_kenji! Sorry I'm just getting back to everybody. This is the one I used. I had bought another one but it was way too small. I just scraped the old gasket off and made sure the surface was good and clean. I actually found this in one of the earlier posts but I believe that link didn't work anymore. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TLB75MA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 5/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, Soccer9542 said:

I was able to get a couple more pictures from the current owner. I appreciate any insight you guys have. This looks like a great blog for restoration on these beautiful grills! 

Screenshot_20200530-120541.png

Screenshot_20200530-120547.png

Screenshot_20200530-120553.png

Screenshot_20200530-120536.png

@Soccer9542 The inside doesn't look bad at all from the pictures. I am by no means an expert on this. I would say if you're into projects give it a go. For a more honest answer, I would definitely ask Addertooth or Marauders

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this is one of the later Kamado Grills. The earlier ones did not have the logo on the dome, they had the ceramic handle which had the word "kamado" spelled out on the handle.  As I recall the company that made the Kamado logo for the dome ended up suing him for not being fully compensated for their work on the dome logo pieces. 

I have good results using kiln cement  Amaco make a grog in and differnt type fillers for  kilns  that would bond well    with  informed directions     tile thin  set  grout that was used in construction  is a  outdoor pool type .  good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old K7 I am trying to rebuild. Does anyone know where I can get replacement springs? One of mine is rusted and broken in half and the other isnt really working. I emailed Galaxy outdoor and the replacement set of 2 shocks is 695$. 

Thanks.