13 hours ago, WSG said:

I have an old K7 I am trying to rebuild. Does anyone know where I can get replacement springs? One of mine is rusted and broken in half and the other isnt really working. I emailed Galaxy outdoor and the replacement set of 2 shocks is 695$. 

Thanks. 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was the big day.  The Dewalt grinder, with a masonry cutting disk was prepared.  The cutting marks had already been put on the neck of the dome. Blue painter's tape was put on the stainless st

Yeah! The tile arrived today.  I struggled with the camera to catch the subtle shade variations and detail in the picture.  The auto white balance had to be worked to get it to provide a good represen

The stucco removal, down to the base refractory has begun. After about an hour, this is where it is at. My hands are numb and useless pegs (from the vibration) at this point. Looks like a break is in

Posted Images

WOW! $695. OK, here's some info that might help. The following was posted in an RJ Newsletter

several years ago.

"... the K7 springs should be 18 inches long, the K9 are 24 inches. To check
the length of the compression springs you would raise the lid to its fullest height and
then remove the 1/4 inch bolt holding the springs in the prop tubes..."

Knowing the length of the spring, you also need to count the total number of coils and

measure the diameter of the spring wire. Armed with that info, check with a couple of

custom spring manufactures who do heavy duty compression springs. There may be a

setup charge because of the low quantity so ask about that. Overall, it should still be

a lot less, I would hope, than what Galaxy wants.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.

EDIT: Forgot - you'll also need the OD of the wound coil along with the other info. Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would separate the halves, drill holes on both sides which are aligned, set in some metal pins on one side, and then refractory cement the two halves together.  You will find the repair will be much stronger with a combination of pins AND refractory cement (or even better, the DAP product which is mentioned throughout the 28 pages which currently make up this thread).  It has Fluoric acid in the DAP mix, which enhances binding.  

A special welcome to Jennifer Simmie, who will be visiting this thread to restore her new grill.  It is one of the later models which had the large custom shaped "plate tiles", as versus the small single tiles (or stucco) normally seen on an RJ grill.

30 minutes ago, Addertooth said:

I would separate the halves, drill holes on both sides which are aligned, set in some metal pins on one side, and then refractory cement the two halves together.  You will find the repair will be much stronger with a combination of pins AND refractory cement (or even better, the DAP product which is mentioned throughout the 28 pages which currently make up this thread).  It has Fluoric acid in the DAP mix, which enhances binding.  

excellent advise the use of pins , i would add tie wire ( ferrous metal wire found at any lumbers yard used to tie rebar)  thin flex- able to the crack length   help hold your mortar    

• 1 month later...

Hi, we recently bought a K7 for just $100 but it needs work. It is in good condition with just a couple tiles off the bottom but it is missing removable pieces such as the grill and damper at the top.  I’m not even sure what other pieces there are! 
Can someone please let me know what we are missing and where to get replacements? 
Thank you much! 

8B1981B2-A887-4E4D-A84A-12833212742C.png

92E79C78-5814-4D59-AB8C-5CDF3299D29D.jpeg

9CECEA8F-3129-4DB3-988A-CAFCE93FF730.jpeg