danielc

Canadian Royal Oak (blue bag)

Daniel if your local Rona has it I would get canadian maple. It may be the best locally produced stuff that you can buy in Ontario.

Mir really is great stuff !!!

Whats MIR? 

Daniel if your local Rona has it I would get canadian maple. It may be the best locally produced stuff that you can buy in Ontario.

Mir really is great stuff !!!

All the Rona around here shutdown but Ontario Gas BBQ has it, That is what I went to buy last time I bought some but I changed my mind at the last minute and bought the KJ red bag instead, but it's still on the to-try list since I hear so many good things about it.

I've been using the KJ and really liked the size of the lump, but haven't really compared it to anything else.  How did you like it compared to what you have been buying lately?

The "Canadian Maple" Bosco mentions is "Maple Leaf" - it's in a brown bag with a red maple leaf in the center. It's usually readily available at Home Hardware. The Rona in town for example, doesn't carry any lump over the winter. But, IMO, overrated - just buy Royal Oak instead - better bang for your buck.

If you want insanely large pieces of dense lump throughout the entire bag, grab "Le Gourmet Restaurant Charcoal" from Ontario Gas BBQ. It's about $1 per pound in 25lb bags. Use this to mix with the stuff from other brands and you'll never want for large pieces again. Not suitable for smaller grills unless you break the pieces down. When I say "big" I mean big. I've never seen any piece in any Royal Oak bag as big as the average piece in Le Gourmet bags.

Thanks bferne. 

I need to pick up more lump so I might head over to Ontario BBQ and see what they have.  The KJ is costly, but I like it.  However, I wouldnt mind trying some different to see if that changes the profile of smoke on food.

When I was there This weekend I just got another bag of KJ red. I was impressed with the pieces at the start of the first bag...will have to see what the bottom is like

Im on my 2nd bag of KJ and I really like it.  Its pretty consistent.  Of course the end has some smaller pieces but not much wastage or any foreign objects.

I can't justify 30.00 a bag for lump. I am more in tune to the US prices of RO lump lol!!!

It's not bad, I think it's about $24 for 10kg....compared to $20 for 8kg of the Canadian Maple one. Of course the RO is cheaper at around $16 for 8 or 10 kg (forget which)

I can't justify 30.00 a bag for lump. I am more in tune to the US prices of RO lump lol!!!

It's not bad, I think it's about $24 for 10kg....compared to $20 for 8kg of the Canadian Maple one. Of course the RO is cheaper at around $16 for 8 or 10 kg (forget which)

Good point, it is a bigger bag...