Jump to content

danielc

Canadian Royal Oak (blue bag)

Recommended Posts

I have found blue bag Royal Oak in my area @ Wholesale Foods in Canada that now says its 100% natural and is a product of USA. Bag size  [10lbs] is also slightly different in size compared to Canadian Tires / Lowes which is 8.8lbs or 17.4lbs. 

 

I bought a bag @ $7.97 to try and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, SmallBBQr said:

Keep us updated on the different blue bag, because I've given up on ever purchasing blue RO ever again that is in/around the Edmonton area I've ever seen.

 

On 7/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, SmallBBQr said:

Keep us updated on the different blue bag, because I've given up on ever purchasing blue RO ever again that is in/around the Edmonton area I've ever seen.

 

My neighbor uses the blue bag RO junk in his fire pit.  It makes the skunks runaway, even they don’t want to be down wind from a burning bag of Blue RO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the week off with a house full of guests so I went through nearly the entire 10 lb bag over several cooks. 

 

Findings on a single test bag:

 

*Medium density charcoal. Much longer burn times when compared to Basques or Maple Leaf. Very little ash.

*Small to medium sized pieces only in this bag. Very little unusable micro pieces / dust. No large pieces.

*All raw wood from actual trees. No lumber mill scraps, rocks, plywood, nails, etc. Some bark.

*Lights up easily and burns clean as quickly as any others I have used. No black smoke. No sparks.

*Nice subtle smoke flavor -  not over-powering. 

 

I'm fixing to buy a few more bags next week and see how it goes. Nothing special about it I guess but nothing really wrong with it so far. Perhaps not a "premium"  lump, but it's priced accordingly and it seems to cook food just fine!

 

 A bit cheaper than my go to charcoal [Basques] with a significantly longer burn time. 

 

Try bag or two  and give me your thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My KJ is on its way to Yellowknife as I speak (Seems stuck in Edmonton - any of you folks in E town able to give it a push for me :-). 

 

Here in Yellowknife I have three options - Royal Oak Blue - from Canadian Tire, MapleLeaf and the Big Green Egg brand (which is considerably more expensive) - Royal Oak and Mapleleaf seems to be reasonably close in price (RO is slightly cheaper) - should I forgo the RO and just go with the MapleLeaf?

 

Also - I'll be in Edmonton in a few weeks - whats the best go to source to stock up on Lump???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, YkRick said:

My KJ is on its way to Yellowknife as I speak (Seems stuck in Edmonton - any of you folks in E town able to give it a push for me :-). 

 

Here in Yellowknife I have three options - Royal Oak Blue - from Canadian Tire, MapleLeaf and the Big Green Egg brand (which is considerably more expensive) - Royal Oak and Mapleleaf seems to be reasonably close in price (RO is slightly cheaper) - should I forgo the RO and just go with the MapleLeaf?

 

Also - I'll be in Edmonton in a few weeks - whats the best go to source to stock up on Lump???

 

 

Id buy a few bags of Royal Oak and Maple leaf and see what you like best. In Edmonton Lowes has a # of different  decent brands on hand including R/O,  Basques, Kamado Joe and Maple leaf. Prices at Lowes are about as good as it gets around here  - maybe cheaper than what you would pay in Yellowknife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, glenn3 said:

 

 

Id buy a few bags of Royal Oak and Maple leaf and see what you like best. In Edmonton Lowes has a # of different  decent brands on hand including R/O,  Basques, Kamado Joe and Maple leaf. Prices at Lowes are about as good as it gets around here  - maybe cheaper than what you would pay in Yellowknife.

 

So far I’ve sworn off Blue Bag RO beciase of the Black smoke and foul smell.  The bag of RO I bought were full of lumber mill scrap.  What looked like off cuts from hardwood boards.  

 

Generaliy I only use Basques and Maple Leaf for hot and fast cooks.  The only downfall of the Maple Leaf and Basque Brands is excessive small pieces in some bags.  Maple makes brittle charcoal. Chips and dust are a fact of life with Maple Charcoal. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been buying the Royal Oak blue bag for years but lately the quality has been terrible. The lumps are so small that they fall out of the bottom of my chimney. There are some large lumps but very few and a lot of dust. I went onto the Royal Oak websire hoping to contact them but it doesn't allow me to do so. Can anyone please send me an email address to contact them?

Thank you.

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a blue bag of royal oak lump about 2 weeks ago from Costco. I was pleasantly surprised, its been great so far. Godo mix of wood size /shapes, burns hot, clean.

Costco has blue bags. Want to say $11.99 for a big bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...