lump charcoal vs briquette

Has aanyone else ever noticed how awful lump smells when first lighting it compared to briquettes? At first I though it was just me, but my inlaws were over last week and I was just lighting up the big Joe. They came over and said "that smells terrible". I have always loved the smell of kingsford since I was a kid. I really like the way the lump lasts and doesn't leave as much ash, but kingsford to me puts a better flavor to the food.

Is it possible I have just been getting bad bags of lump? I have used kamado Joe red and brown bag and currently using nature glow.

I find every brand I use smells when first lot. This gets discussed often. Once you get the lump heated after 20 min or so all the bad smoke causing the smell is gone.

I will take my time and use lump all day long compared to manufactured briquettes. Get a kettle if you want to use them. I have read that the ceramics hold the chemicals and lump is what should be used in a kamado.

Just let the lump burn off until you see the bad white smoke disapear then all will be well.

Maybe you have had a few bad bags or maybe not enough air flow when first getting the fire going

You are right after it burns a while the smell is more pleasant.at first light though it's rough, almost like a harsh chemical smell. Definitely different from the old kingsord....

No idea what you're talking about. You're either using contaminated lump or burning some air freshener-style Kingsford briquettes. If you had said the results were the other way around, it might be expected - who knows what's used to make/bind a briquette.

I have noticed a different odor when starting the lump, but never considered it unpleasant. Like CC says, the startup and waiting to come up to temp time is meant to be used as time for enjoying an Adult Beverage! So this is meant to take your mind off of any odors! :-)

You are right after it burns a while the smell is more pleasant.at first light though it's rough, almost like a harsh chemical smell. Definitely different from the old kingsord....

No idea what you're talking about. You're either using contaminated lump or burning some air freshener-style Kingsford briquettes. If you had said the results were the other way around, it might be expected - who knows what's used to make/bind a briquette.

I guess it's a matter of opinions, I personally like the smell of briquetts, and at no time from light up to desired temp to me is it unpleasant. Lump on the other hand has a distinct unpleasant odor.

This wasn't an isolated incident, it's happening every time with several different brands including kamado Joe brand lump.

I've burned a lot of Kingsford Blue over the years... and for the last 10+ years, have pretty much burned lump charcoal exclusively.  IMO, Kingsford has a proprietary smell to it.  I personally like it, and can tell from a mile away when K Blue is being burned.  On the other hand, lump charcoal has the smell of a camp fire to me.  Like K Blue, I love the smell.  I guess you could say that I am easy to please... just give me fire and meat and I'm good ;-)

I've burned a lot of Kingsford Blue over the years... and for the last 10+ years, have pretty much burned lump charcoal exclusively. IMO, Kingsford has a proprietary smell to it. I personally like it, and can tell from a mile away when K Blue is being burned. On the other hand, lump charcoal has the smell of a camp fire to me. Like K Blue, I love the smell. I guess you could say that I am easy to please... just give me fire and meat and I'm good ;-)

Yeah that ^^^^^

I love the smell of both of them!

I guess it's a matter of opinions, I personally like the smell of briquetts, 

Which is pretty much what I said. Lump is wood. It's going to smell like burning wood unless it's contaminated. If you don't like the smell of burning wood, then lump will be unpleasant to you. Briquettes are mostly "mystery" (I really want to say "garbage" here, but I don't want to offend anyone) so you have no idea what you're burning. Is there a possibility of additives to promote different burn odors? Definitely. Burning a briquette is a total crapshoot brand to brand because of their own special sauce.

My advice is get over the smell issue or do something to get away from the initial warm-up burn, and continue burning lump.