BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Bread

13 posts in this topic

I'm reposting my October Bread Challenge entry here as an artisan bread recipe. 

I also just posted how to make the yeast starter in this same forum (http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/15812-sourdough-yeast-starter/).

Ingredients:
15 oz (wt) Bread Flour
About a cup of Bread Yeast Starter (<--  link to video)
1 bulb Roasted Garlic (wrapped in oil & foil @ 400 deg F for 30 minutes)
2 large fresh Rosemarey Sprigs (minced)
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Molasses
About 2-3 oz (wt) Water or more depending on thickness of Starter

This is the slideshow version:

This is the picture by picture version:

1) The day before, pull your yeast starter from the fridge, feed it, and let it warm/build up.

DSC_3598.JPG

2) The night before, make a sponge starter.  Add 5 oz (wt) Bread Flour, 1 cup yeast starter, and about 2-3 oz water to bowl and mix well.  The sponge should have wet medium consistency. Add water/four as necessary.

DSC_3601.JPG

DSC_3603.JPG

3) Next morning, the sponge should be ready.

DSC_3605.JPG

4) Roast the garlic, let it cool and squeeze out the soft aromatic cloves into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.

DSC_3610.JPG

DSC_3611.JPG

5) Mix and knead on stand mixer with dough hook for 10 minutes. Add flour or water as necessary to achive a dough ball that doesn't stick to the bowl.

6) Form into round ball and place in oiled bowl.  Cover.

DSC_3612.JPG

7) Let rise all day.  Punch down a couple times if necessary.

8) Form into desired shape (a baguette loaf this time).

DSC_3613.JPG

9) Let rise until doublish in size.  In the meantime, fire up the kamado indirectly to about 450 deg F.  Cut diagonal breaks in the top of the loaf and spritz with water spray bottle.

DSC_3614.JPG

10) Place loaf on kamado. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until done. Remove and let cool.

DSC_3616.JPG

11) Slice it up and serve with sauce of olive oil, parmesan, oregano, and black pepper.

DSC_3618.JPG

DSC_3619.JPG

Remoh, GottaBeKD, Freddyj and 2 others like this

I also just posted how to make the yeast starter in this same forum.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/15226-roasted-garlic-rosemary-bread

Larry, I'd like to keep both of these in the recipe section... could you post the ingredients and instruction lists with each?

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry likes this

I also just posted how to make the yeast starter in this same forum.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/15226-roasted-garlic-rosemary-bread

Larry, I'd like to keep both of these in the recipe section... could you post the ingredients and instruction lists with each?

Sure, John.  Just did it.

John Setzler likes this

That looks terrific. I am trying to figure out how I can make this with the overnight artisan method. I roast garlic all the time and have it in the freezer.

So looks like you cook it on paper?

Parchment paper and only long enough for the crust to set then I removed it for the rest of the cook. I do this with pizzas on the grill too.
bondo likes this

That looks terrific. I am trying to figure out how I can make this with the overnight artisan method. I roast garlic all the time and have it in the freezer.

What's the artisan method, and how does it differ from my yeast starter to sponge starter to full loaf method?

The artisan method I am talking about is no starter but the 5 minute flour water salt and yeast. Mix all together with water and leave 8 hours to overnight on the counter. I will try your method when I can get my rear in gear.

I just tried this recipe and it had wonderful flavor!! I think I missed a little on the rise though. It was slightly denser than I expected. After pulling from the mixer bowl, I just let it rise all a day ~8 hours. It had doubled already. After forming into a loaf it rose some more. Should I have formed the loaf earlier? Or should I have let rise after forming loaf longer?

I am new to bread baking... This recipe is actually one of the inspirations for giving it a shot :-) Thank you for sharing @BEER-N-BBQ by Larry !!

Also, I assumed the 5 oz wt of bread flour for the starter was part of the 15 oz total. Was that right? 

Thanks again!

IMG_0162.JPG

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry and TKOBBQ like this

Yes. Part of the total.
There are many reasons for a poor final rise:
1. Weak yeast
2. The year ran out of food. The initial rise may have went too long. Should be double in size before reforming.
3. Didn't sit long enough to rise.
4. Oven temp is too low. The first ten minutes of baking at least should be at least 450 deg.
5. The skin set before it could rise fully in The oven. Cause:. The oven was too dry. Next time spray some water in the oven initially and at the five minute point to keep steam in the oven long enough to prong the outside firming up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

Yes. Part of the total.
There are many reasons for a poor final rise:
1. Weak yeast
2. The year ran out of food. The initial rise may have went too long. Should be double in size before reforming.
3. Didn't sit long enough to rise.
4. Oven temp is too low. The first ten minutes of baking at least should be at least 450 deg.
5. The skin set before it could rise fully in The oven. Cause:. The oven was too dry. Next time spray some water in the oven initially and at the five minute point to keep steam in the oven long enough to prong the outside firming up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers! 

It had been doubled for several hours before I formed the loaf, and probably sat for another 45 min - 1 hr, while the grill came up to temp. It did expand some after forming but I guess it was a mix of 2 and 3 you mentioned. 

I'll try again soon and keep an eye on 4 and 5 too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Smokehowze
      Naan Bread on the Blackstone Oven

Got the hankering today for some naan bread on the Blackstone.  Used a yogurt based naan recipe off the web and included minced garlic and chopped cilantro as some toppings rolled into the flattened rounds.  Cooked on the Blackstone Patio Oven at between 650 and 700 degrees for about 1 ½  minutes.

The wood pizza peel worked well to load the naan rounds in sequence with up to three at a time on the rotating stone.   I may have left a few in a bit too long and got them crisper than they should have been learning the cooking times.  But they were still good eats.   Next time out I might raise the temperature to over 800  – we shall see how that works.  Not a bad result at all for first time baking naan on the Blackstone.

The bread was brushed with salted melted butter after baking.  The bread formed the base for a meal of left over New York strip steak that had been previously grilled on the Kamado as dinner earlier in the week along with sautéed red and green bell pepper, onion and seasonings.

Enjoy!

Blackstone Naan

Naan Dough Proofed and Ready

Garlic and Cilantro Topping

Portioning

Heating the Blackstone

Rolling the Rounds - My son took over this part. after he saw my first couple of the rounds... LoL

Let’s Bake

Baking Underway

Hot Off the Stone

A Tray of Naan Bread 

Dinner Is Served - Steak on Naan

• By John Setzler

This is probably my first successful attempt at the Josey Baker Bread sourdough recipe and technique.  This loaf will accompany the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow!
    • By John Setzler

Here's a super easy recipe for a delicious cinnamon raisin bread that you can cook on your kamado grill!
      Cinnamon Raisin Bread
      Ingredients for two loaves (cut in half for a single loaf / all else remains the same)

6g (2 tsp) active try yeast 720g lukewarm water (about 3 cups) 210g (about 1 1/2 cups) whole wheat flour 750g (about 5 cups) all purpose flour 24g (about 4 tsp) sea salt 4 tsp (to taste) ground cinnamon 1 cup raisins (soaked in dark rum or warm water for 1 to 2 hours in advance) Combine the yeast and the water and let the yeast dissolve for 10-15 minutes.
      Drain the liquid from the raisins and combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Add the yeast/water to the dry ingredients and mix completely by hand until there are no dry lumps left in the flour.  Let rise for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.  Remove dough to floured surface, spread out, and fold over itself once in each direction.  Repeat that process 3 or 4 times and return to the mixing bowl.  Let rise for another hour or until doubled in size.
      Remove the dough to a floured surface again and divide into two equal parts if making two loaves.  Shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.  Cover and let rise again until your grill or oven is ready to go (at least an another 30 minutes).
      Preheat your grill or oven to 425.  Place the loaf pans in the grill or oven and loosely cover with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes.  Remove the foil and cook for another 20-25 minutes until the bread is done.
      Enjoy!

• By Bob Fletcher
      I actually think discussion on sourdough could be a forum area all its own!

While I believe many of us are becoming more aware of sourdough, and its healthy properties, I suspect there is still a lot of folks who think of sourdough as just a change in taste.  I am nowhere near an expert in sourdough, as I have only been back into it for about 6 months or so, however I have done a bit of internet research and I am quite impressed with the results.  Recent studies are shedding new light on this, the earliest method of rising flours.  In fact in one recent study, there was a strong indication that people with coeliacs syndrome "MAY" well tolerate sourdough breads, because of the long fermentation process and its ability to break down the gluten.  I think it important to say that by adding regular yeast, even to sourdough starter, you may speed up the fermentation process to point of reducing or even eliminating those health benefits.  Personally, I never add yeast to my sourdough breads. 

I love my white breads, and am loaf, uh I mean loathe to give them up.  However, I am also interested in experimenting with sourdough and grains to give them that moist texture that I can only get from sourdough.  Being somewhat of a bonehead, I was always curious why bakery breads always had such a great shelf life.  Well, of course it's all of those additives and preservatives.  Wonder Bread has 29 ingredients, my sourdough bread has five - sourdough starter, water, salt, and olive oil.  I was also curious why mine, and pretty much every other really good homemade active dry yeast bread, without any preservative dried out so quickly.  They taste fine when they are fresh out of the oven, but even a day later they are getting dry.    Sitting on the counter in a plastic bag, my sourdough breads will be moist and flavorful for days.

Last week I made a sweetbread apple streuselkuchen and modified the recipe to use sourdough starter.  It came out fantastic.  Gave my sourdough starter to my daughter-in-law how loves to make pizza, and says it makes the most awesome pizza crust she has had.  I have made one pizza with my sourdough and my wife said she will never go back.

So, let's talk about sourdough.  I challenge all of you to fire up that sourdough starter, experiment with it - I mean really step out of the box, and share your trials, failures as well as successes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/12/rise-sourdough-bread-slow-fermented-health-benefits

There are zillions of other sites on the web that will give you recipes and instructions on using sourdough starter but The Clever Carrot has what I consider an excellent primer on sourdough bread and Breadtopia has some great recipes and videos.

http://www.theclevercarrot.com/2014/01/sourdough-bread-a-beginners-guide/
      http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/

Cheers from Alaska
      And thanks for joining in,

Bob