A Back-Up Turkey??

We went to my mom & dad's for Thanksgiving this year. I was asked to bring the turkey. At the last minute, my mom told me that she was making a "back-up" turkey. "You know, just in case the Egg'd turkey doesn't turn out..."

Since there was going to be a traditional bird anyways, I decided to go non-traditional. I halved a 13# bird. One half is BBQ and the other half is buffalo. I made a compound butter for each using the rubs for each. 

The BBQ bird was injected with a butter mixture, discs of the compound butter under the skin and rubbed with a BBQ rub. 

The Buffalo bird was injected with a buffalo/butter mixture, discs of compound butter under the skin, rubbed with a spicy rub and basted with buffalo sauce towards the end of the cook. 

The poor back-up bird was never touched...post-7216-0-65203100-1417269268_thumb.jppost-7216-0-93247200-1417269272_thumb.jppost-7216-0-90707000-1417269277_thumb.jppost-7216-0-78296000-1417269280_thumb.jp

Wow.....

And did mom regret the back up?????

Looks awesome man

Even she passed over her over cooked roasted bird! :-D

We had my sister and her family and my mom and dad over for easter dinner. I cooked two Turkey rolls and a ham of my weber at the time.

I hit them with a light cherry smoke and some seasonings and it was like watching vultures eating.

My brother in law begged me for left overs. Most years Turkey is always left behind as it is so dry. i am in negotiations to take christmas dinner over this year. With the addition of my classic I will have plenty of room!

Wow.....

And did mom regret the back up?????

Looks awesome man

Even she passed over her over cooked roasted bird! :-D

We had my sister and her family and my mom and dad over for easter dinner. I cooked two Turkey rolls and a ham of my weber at the time.

I hit them with a light cherry smoke and some seasonings and it was like watching vultures eating.

My brother in law begged me for left overs. Most years Turkey is always left behind as it is so dry. i am in negotiations to take christmas dinner over this year. With the addition of my classic I will have plenty of room!

Nice!! We are headed to Florida for Christmas to visit my sis-n-law and bro-n-law. I've already been told to bring the Mini Max BGE with me! 

I am thinking that is a great way to do turkey, Craig. Thanks for the ideas and the post. Those turkey halves look delicious. Probably sparked some turkey conversation at the dinner table. Oh that one is good, here take a bite of this one, Ohhhhh mmmmmmmm. Far better than a political discussion.