Grillgrates on Big Joe's D&C - looking for a photo

bferne

Ok, I feel like I've been chasing my tail looking for this photo.  It's been difficult enough finding an image of Grillgrates set up on a Big Joe via Google, but what I'd love to see is a photo of 2 of the three GG parts set up on  the D&C pushed to one side. The purpose being to see how it fits on only one of the half moon grids, in anticipation of using it for reverse searing.

Basically I'd like to see how much of Big Joe's grilling surface area is covered and uncovered when you remove one of the GG sections and move the whole thing to one side.

Scratch…  As I pressed the post button I had a lightbulb moment for different search terms. And wouldn't you know it, the first result using those new search words hit the mark, albeit with a rather dark photo.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/13528-grill-grates-struggle-with-divide-and-conqeur-reverse-sear/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mickeyhiggins
      Hey all. Living in Scotland and well getting the ole Kamado (Early model Pit Boss K24) going and was looking for a cheap divide and conquer setup. Getting compatible bits for a non-KJ grill is a bit tricky in the UK and the price is bat sh!t crazy but I came across the brand Onlyfire but not the one listed for a Kamado as it seems they carry a premium price due to Kamado branding.
      Looking at many of the kettle grill versions there was only a 1/2" difference in size I can't believe that a factory would run off different models in 1/2 sizes not exactly a pair of shoes. Anyway, the "Onlyfire BBQ Cooking Grate System Fits for 22.5" Weber Kettle Grill and Other Similar Size Kettle Grills" fit perfectly in my K24 and cost £89.
      Hope this helps some UK Kamado users.
      Currently modding a stainless steel bowl as a cheap ash collector, but can't get my head around a £60 basket for charcoal....couldn't I use a cheap deep fryer chip basket??
      Now next purchase Rotisserie that fits, anyone with a suggestion as I can't justify £200+ 

Mickey

• By Colin Barbeau
      Good day guys,
      This is my first post, I was waiting to have something new to post before officially joining. Been looking at the forum for the last year: great stuff! I was very frustrated with the plastic shelves that came with the KJ (can melt) and I am not a fan of building a cart for my kamado: it takes place on the deck, it blocks the view and gathers snow (IMO). I like shelves, they fold back when you're done and you don't see them anymore.   I wanted shelves that are easy to clean, that are foldable, that support heat and that are wider than the standard ones, so I could fit a rib rack or a fully loaded divide and conquer without balance issues. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible while maintaining a design that was sturdy and would last a lifetime. 80 bucks later (Canadian bucks!), I had two aluminum shelves, 50% wider than the original ones and they are also lighter. You can't imagine the joy I got the first time I placed a hot ceramic heat diffuser on the shelves. Wow, this is a cheap luxury and I dig it!   Anyhow, if you guys want to build them, it is relatively easy: - Two 15.5 x 15.5 x 1/8 thk aluminum plates - Four 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 thk square aluminum tubes, 15 1/4 long (slightly shorter than the plates, just to be sure they don't protrude) - 16 rivets, 3/16 diameters   The tubes are mounted on the original KJ black steel brackets (remove the plastic bars), drill the tubes through the existing screw holes on the brackets and rivet in place. Position the plate, drill and rivet in the tubes.    Hope this will help someone, we deserve better than meltable shelves Cheers and all the best during these challenging times.   -Colin

• By Canada_Mike
      Weber sells a sear grate that's 11.9". I've measured and it should fit on the deflector ledges in the Akorn Jr. Has anyone tried this? I can get it through Amazon, so it can be returned if it doesn't fit.
      Cheers,
      Michael
    • By Gator2211
      Hello everyone, new to the group and just seeing what tips, tricks, and insight I can find. I love trying out of the box techniques and experimenting to find the best flavors possible.
    • By Patti
      I've always put my soapstone on the grates when cooking and have a sink large enough to clean it.
      I've seen a couple of people having issues with the larger Big Joe soapstone, so when I saw this I thought it might offer an alternative solution to dealing with the size and weight.
      They posted it on their site a little while ago.

https://canadiansoapstone.wistia.com/projects/ukbyyeapwb