Sign in to follow this  
Grillstuff

Its too cold for grilling.

I live in Texas - North Texas mind you.....   I have a goose down parka just to make sure I can go out and grill with a cold one on those 15 or 20 days when it does get cold, and it does in fact get cold here.  Single digits (some years) and high wind holy smokes!

I live in Texas - North Texas mind you.....   I have a goose down parka just to make sure I can go out and grill with a cold one on those 15 or 20 days when it does get cold, and it does in fact get cold here.  Single digits (some years) and high wind holy smokes!

I have been to Hereford TX many times to visit the FIL. It is quite a bit different form what people think Texas weather is all about.--Ken

I have been to Hereford TX many times to visit the FIL. It is quite a bit different form what people think Texas weather is all about.--Ken

It's not like the TV shows....

April this year we received a horrible hail storm with tornado - some areas close to us got a foot or more of hail.  It smashed house and car windows, holes in roofs, all of this happened in less than an hour.  The guy that put my new roof on in 2013 (because of a hail storm) called me while it was coming down, (sounded like 20 guys on the roof with hammers and the occasional DONG!) I'm talking to him on the phone, my family is doing the tuck and cover in the hallway, the emergency sirens are going off, it's pitch black at 4pm, a tornado is spotted moving through and he wants to know how bad it is and can he get some business.   :)  True story!  I told him I had to go there's a tornado!  After it was over I could see on things out in the yard hundred and hundreds of strikes in a square foot

After hail moved through parts of Tarrant County, Denton County reported some of the widest damage, with softball-size hail battering vehicles and roofs along U.S. 380 north of downtown about 4 p.m. No injuries were reported as people scrambled for cover under overpasses, awnings and trees.  

I live 1 mile from 380 and 4 miles from Downtown.  And it wasn't even winter!  I was not outside cooking on the kamado that day I promise!

When I was in the service in Michigan I heard a senior guy say that when he retired he was gonna put his snowmobile on his trailer and start heading South. He said he wouldn't stop till someone asked him what that was on his trailer. He said then I'll drive another 100 miles South just to be sure. That is where I will retire.

When I was in the service in Michigan I heard a senior guy say that when he retired he was gonna put his snowmobile on his trailer and start heading South. He said he wouldn't stop till someone asked him what that was on his trailer. He said then I'll drive another 100 miles South just to be sure. That is where I will retire.

Lol!!!! Funny

Shooot.... It was around 30 and sleeting yesterday, I'm out on the back porch in mesh shorts and a white t-shirt searing some New York strips for lunch/dinner. Never gave it a thought. Took out a pack of Choice NY Strips I cut from a whole 12.5 lb Kroger strip loin in the bag, seasoned with some Sauer's Steak Rub and onto the Akorn. Yum is all I can say! Love it when coworkers are wishing they had my lunch instead of that Bologna sammich.

post-2237-0-48321800-1418216277_thumb.jp

post-2237-0-49532100-1418216298_thumb.jp

A few more points.....first biggish snow fall of the season underway as we speak, looking like 8-10" probably. Hardly worth mentioning really but the 60k (40mph) winds will whip it up nicely. All I can think about is some Guiness packed in snow, pork butts and bbq baked beans and making day of it. Sucks that I gotta wait till the weekend though....you southern folks will never understand.

I love these kinds of temps. Keeps the damn magpies away when I pull 10 lbs of fresh smoked bacon out. Then I only need to let it rest about 30 minutes before it goes in for another 2 to 3 hours of smoke.

Deflector plate provides just enough heat to not let it solidify and freeze.

tosco - North Texas can get dadgummed cold in the winter.  If you're not used to the cold, a parka is a very sane thing to have down there.  I've got one here in OKC for nights when I have to travel just in case.  I betting that like me, Mark also keeps an emergency road kit in his car just in case.  People die down here every winter because of the elements.  

See, you Canucks up there never get hot enough to thaw out!  Down here, we have week upon week of temps over 100F during the summer.  No big deal to us.  You come down to visit in August and I promise you, you'll be gasping for air!

Remember, in the cold you can always put on more clothes.  Down here in the South, propriety dictates that you can only take off so much!   :rofl: