retfr8flyr

Meat Slicer Questions?

I am planning on getting a meat slicer and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Chinese knockoffs of the Hobart, like the Presto, MTN, LEM and such. I am trying to find out how these hold up and if they are worth getting. They seem like a good bang for the buck but I just don't know how any of them will hold up. I will not be using it heavy, just occasional home use, so I think it would hold up but I don't know. Any help would be appreciated. I know I don't want the cheap plastic $200 slicers, they are like playing with a toy but I also don't have $$$$ for a really good Hobart, or Berkel. I have been checking Craigslist for months and nothing has shown up in my area, so I am looking at trying to find something new, as an alternative.

Have a Berkel 825E we picked up used for $150 and just love it!
3DpJ7y.jpg

I would suggest watching for a larger used Hobart or Berkel brand on Craigslist or local classifieds. Finding a model with a longer throw to the slide you can cure pork bellies to bacon and get full slices instead of smaller slicers you will have to cut the pork belly down to fit the slicer.

3DpJ7y.jpg

I would suggest watching for a larger used Hobart or Berkel brand on Craigslist or local classifieds. Finding a model with a longer throw to the slide you can cure pork bellies to bacon and get full slices instead of smaller slicers you will have to cut the pork belly down to fit the slicer.

You got a great deal. Maybe it most be stolen. Lots of great slicers just use your best judgment. Some last 15 years and others last 50 years.

3DpJ7y.jpg

That is one fantastic deal on an  825 that looks to be in mint condition.  No such luck here on used.  Most of it is junk when you look at it in person and they still want $$$ for it.

And the bacon looks really good also!

I saw some decent deals on Knoxville area Craigslist last night. A few years ago I missed out on a nice Globe slicer for a hundo... Didn't have th cash in my pocket as I bought up a bunch of stuff at another sale before I saw the slicer, it was during the 127 Sale.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have been watching Craigslist for about 6 months now and nothing has shown up, so I am looking for other options. I am trying to keep the cost under $400, so that is why I am interested in the Chinese knockoffs.

Well I just won a knockoff slicer on EBay, so when it gets here I will see how it works. It's an 10 inch MTN model, don't really have room for a 12 inch, or the $$$ for one. This one was well within my budget and  I am just tired of looking for a used one.

Thought I would post an update on my knockoff. I have been using it a lot the past few weeks and it has been great. It cuts as thin as you could want, shaved really and it's very quiet in operation. So far I have done ham, beef, turkey and some cheddar cheese. Cleanup is fairly easy, as it comes apart nicely. I wish I could find one of those blade removal tools I have seen, to make it easier to remove the blade, other then that cleanup is easy. So far I am extremely happy with the choice I made, it even came with an extra belt and sharpening stone. I need to take some pics and post them. 

I saw some decent deals on Knoxville area Craigslist last night. A few years ago I missed out on a nice Globe slicer for a hundo... Didn't have th cash in my pocket as I bought up a bunch of stuff at another sale before I saw the slicer, it was during the 127 Sale.

You cannot kill a Globe or Hobart unless you drop it.

I've got a Rival that the in-laws gave me years ago for Christmas. Works great on pork loins, eye of rounds, and the like.  Looks like this:

$_57.JPG

We have the same one, had it for 19 years and just used it the other day to slice some roast beef with.  I am sure there are "better ones" but to me it's almost perfect plus it's dishwasher safe!

IMG_20141229_165100_289_zpsa7g2ayok.jpg

IMG_20141228_213125_738_zpsarfctz9l.jpg

Couldn't be easier.

Can slice pretty thin.

The big con is that you can only get them 2nd hand from places like e-bay (around $50) but on the plus side it's durable.  Blade is made in Germany and the bulk (at least mine) is made in U.S.A.