True cost of ownership

wilburpan

Over the time that I've had Smaug, I've noticed something. We've been cooking on it so much that our monthly restaurant bill has dropped significantly. I know everyone’s situation is different, but I've figured out that at the rate we’re going on the money we’re saving on restaurants, we'll break even on the cost of our KK 23” in about 2 years.

That may seem incredible, but that really is the equivalent of just one less restaurant meal for a family of four each week. It’s not fancy restaurants, either. I'm talking Chili's, or something along those lines.

Even if I’m off on these numbers, I look at Smaug as a 20 year purchase. If we’re not saving as much money as I think we are on restaurants, at some point over those 20 years we will break even, and it will probably be sooner rather than later.

And before anyone asks, yes, I’m including our grocery bill in this analysis.

Now, I know that KK grills still cost more than many of the other options out there, and you can do the same analysis and say that you can pay off, say, a KJ grill in less time. But I think this shows that the idea that KK grills are unaffordable is a bit overstated, despite the higher price tag.

Grest view buddy!! I too have found that our take out bills have dropped considerably. I love the family time it creates and the healthy meals. I have lost almost 20lbs. Since going to kamado as we pick healthier cooks. Kamado cooking affords more grilling of healthier foods!!!!

Anyways buddy, if I can swing it one day I will own a KK. They are a beautiful high performance machine!!!!

Great post Wilbur

I can agree on the restaurant bill going way down.  It's a benefit that everyone here on KG can vouch for, most likely.

We used to eat out a lot before I bought an Akorn 4-5 years ago.  It was much easier to fire up and utilize on wide ranges of meals than my old charcoal grill was.  I used it so much, in fact, that I simply wore it out. :rofl:   It was replaced with a ceramic that I'll try to "wear out" over the years.

It's easy and fun.  You now have the gear to make any type of meal you can conceive of.  

You can't put a price on preparing a great meal with your own hands on your own grill.  Satisfaction has to be worth something!  A family meal at home is a far greater experience than a family meal at any restaurant.  Your grill will pay for itself way sooner if you consider these values that aren't gauged in dollars.

For me restaurant bill has gone down but grocery bill has definitely gone up.

Those 2 things seem to even each other out.

I do eat better food at home now that I have a kamado.

On a slightly different note: when ever me and Mrs Skreef go riding the bike on Saturday or Sunday we always eat lunch out, so that bill has definitely gone up. I wasn't counting that in my kamado bill scenario as it's just the 2 of us not the family.

For me restaurant bill has gone down but grocery bill has definitely gone up.

Those 2 things seem to even each other out.

I do eat better food at home now that I have a kamado.

On a slightly different note: when ever me and Mrs Skreef go riding the bike on Saturday or Sunday we always eat lunch out, so that bill has definitely gone up. I wasn't counting that in my kamado bill scenario as it's just the 2 of us not the family.

Time to prepare a Kamado meal and take on the bike ride. Strap the jr on your bike so you can pull over and cook. Then while JR is cooling off, you can tell skreef how much you love her and all that mushy stuff. Pack jr back up and continue the ride.

First off i do not really look at price when it comes to a kamado. It is the fun of using it and how well it responds to the vents and holds heat, I have not found anything like it.

Second short of a Humpty Dumpty-- a Kamado is I agree a long term investment and  that really evens out the cost.

I have gone through about 20 bags of lump since February. So the cost of lump can really add up.

We cooked previously and only rarely went out to eat. About 15 years ago my wife just stopped cooking any thing but a couple of subsistence basic quick meals. So I started cooking.

Over the years I have made it a point to collect recipes  that are reasonably quick and really great tasting so I can not argue that our eating out bill has dropped and we still eat out about once a month. As I see it eating good is a matter of choosing to cook and hunting down top notch recipes. The DVR and the cooking channels made this easy for me. It is like a cooking school in your living room.

The Kamado has added a new dimension to what we make and a use it a lot but as my wife says --every thing does not have to be made on the grill.

You can't put a price on preparing a great meal with your own hands on your own grill.  Satisfaction has to be worth something!  A family meal at home is a far greater experience than a family meal at any restaurant.  Your grill will pay for itself way sooner if you consider these values that aren't gauged in dollars.

I believe everything you say here for sure, especially about the value of the satisfaction of cooking on the grill. In fact, that’s one factor that sometimes gets dismissed in discussions here when folks say that a given grill isn’t worth the added cost because the food will taste the same.

The main reason I wrote about this is that oftentimes when KK grills are discussed, there’s chatter about the price, and how it seems to be unaffordable. When looked at in this light, the financial cost of a KK grill (or any other kamado, for that matter) is a lot less than what it may seem up front.

We don't go out for dinner as often that's for sure. Good quality meat isn't cheap tho and neither is family expecting something nice when they come over.

I do have fun with it and l know I will use it more when the inlaws move to their own place. Right now they do most of the cooking except on weekends.

I have high expectations from the grill grates to make cooks faster and simpler.