Making the Akorn Kamado last a long time

I didn't want to hijack another thread.....so, I am asking what measures I can take to make my Akorn last as long as possible?   I keep hearing the word " rust" come up.  I live in Florida....I live in a high humidity region. In the spring and summer months I do experience lots of rain....Tell me the measures I can take now to ensure my grill lasts a long time.

keep it covered, keep it under a shelter or in garage when not in use. I had mine for 6 months and kept it covered under a overhang and still got rust on the bottom shelf and around the lid. it does hold in moisture so you will get rust inside it no matter what you do. I have seen a lot of these where the ash pan rusts out. keep it as dry as you can 

1. Cover it. That goes for any grill. The Akorn cover is great, some of found other covers that work as well.

2. Be careful about charcoal ash. I know a lot of folks leave ash and charcoal in it between cooks. Just be aware that charcoal ash on metal grill parts over time is a recipe for rust. If it's going to be idle for a while, clean out the ashes.

3. I periodically do a wipedown with a light oil coating on the interior--firebox, ashpan, the metal ashpan hanger.

After allmost 3 years of service in North Carolina my grill has no rust.

I keep my Akorn covered at all times, and water still managed to pond inside the ashpan, between the walls.  So check it anyway and dump it.  Or drill a weep hole.  

Seems like ponding could occur inside the firebowl too.

MAYBE some/all the water is coming from the meat.

Assuming the top vent is closed, I think the biggest culprit for water getting into the ash pan is the lower vent, which doesn't really seal. Just make sure your cover completely covers the body and at least the top part of the legs, and you should be OK.

This may sound ridiculous but if you are worried about humidity in your kamado and not just rain, why not use the items that folks use in their gun safes to keep expensive guns free of rust. Even the Akorn is pretty airtight so I assume it would work well.. 

Here is one.. In periods where you do not use your Kamado let it cool down overnight and place it in there.. 

Battery/electric free

10 year use

http://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Arms-Corp-19946-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B004NKU49K