Wondering about this solution to Oval XL lid issue some are reporting...

Dub

I've been looking around over in the Primo Grills forum and saw a number of posts about the lid bands slipping and falling off Oval XL grills.

Many times these were on new grills being opened for the first time.

One of the more recent posts shows these pics as from his 3 week old Oval XL.

He noted the vertical stap-clip material that was present on his and inquired.  He was told that the newly delivered Oval XL had these on there to help hold the band in place.

QvsNz0V.jpg

These two pics from a different owner:

zaXWgFI.jpg

fidnjn2.png

Someone asked if these could be added to their existing Oval XL grills and the response was yes.  You have to drill the holes and install them.

I cringed reading that.  I just couldn't see drilling holes into a grill that I'd paid $1,400 for.  

Maybe the bands are shipped loose on purpose for some reason.  I don't know.  I'll keep reading and see what comes of it.

I haven't read too many reports here on KG about lid problems with the various Oval XL grills.  It could simply be something that our owners here adjust for.  The KG site is very active compared to the manfs. sites.   Perhaps the shared experiences here are causing people to act proactively &  heading off problems before they occur.

Thoughts ?

Ideas ?

Maybe I'm just chicken.  Some folks love to mod stuff like crazy and would be thrilled to break out their drills and Dremels on day one. :rofl:

There was I think two guys here experienced the band slip issue, one of them was for sure brand new.  The other I think was also pretty new.  I have not had any issue on mine and its almost 2 but I tightened the bolts well (until they bent as suggested by my dealer) and check them every few months.

As far as I am aware and an important to note is that these folks did get taken care of.

It must have happened often enough that I can confirm seeing a new Primo Oval in the showroom over at the Ceramic Grill Store with factory clips installed (maybe a year ago).  There is a guy on the Primo forum that was making and selling them also.

This is all pretty old news...

I've been looking around over in the Primo Grills forum and saw a number of posts about the lid bands slipping and falling off Oval XL grills.

QvsNz0V.jpg

zaXWgFI.jpg

That fix is just plain wrong. According to CC and someone else who I can't remember, Primo doesn't have these issues.  :-D

....In actuallity, these issues are well documented. You don't have to research hard to find them. 

QvsNz0V.jpg

zaXWgFI.jpg

That fix is just plain wrong. According to CC and someone else who I can't remember, Primo doesn't have these issues.  :-D

....In actuallity, these issues are well documented. You don't have to research hard to find them. 

Yup.  I didn't really dig into......it just jumped out me on the Primo forum.

Like I said in my original post, I haven't seen much mention of that here on KG....just one thread that I can recall......maybe our folks are really well informed here with a lot of active posts and awareness and take great proactive steps to keep their bands tightened.

A fellow named Char-Woody over there makes and sells lid clips that don't need drilling.

I wonder why Primo didn't utilize clips like his.   I've seen the one's you are talking about.

A fellow named Char-Woody over there makes and sells lid clips that don't need drilling.

Here are the pics of his clips....

UvspDE3.jpg

41oz9pj.jpg

Looking more closely it appears Char-Woody is trying to assist in keeping the top band secure....while the clips on the new grills keep the lower band secured to the base.

Two different methods.

@philpom, I think you might have been the other one who said they have no band & hinge issues, but I may be mistaken. I can't remember what I ate for Lunch.

Andy, You did post about Primo hinge issues and it was I that denied ever hearing about a hinge issue.  I stand by that comment.  Band issues never came up in that conversation.

Good news for Primo owners and prospective owners, this issue was resolved quiet awhile ago.  I do wonder why so many KJ owners are so interested, you guys thinking of coming over to the dark (black) side? B)

@philpom, I think you might have been the other one who said they have no band & hinge issues, but I may be mistaken. I can't remember what I ate for Lunch.

Andy, You did post about Primo hinge issues and it was I that denied ever hearing about a hinge issue.  I stand by that comment.  Band issues never came up in that conversation.

Good news for Primo owners and prospective owners, this issue was resolved quiet awhile ago.  I do wonder why so many KJ owners are so interested, you guys thinking of coming over to the dark (black) side? B)

That is exactly what led me to go over there and look around before I kicked the tires at a couple local dealers.

Most of these toys don't come cheaply and I can take my time a little more this time around before adding another.

I'm not trying to kick up dust but just make the most informed decision possible.  

I recall it as hinge AND band issues philpom. One goes along with the other. I'll stick with red, although I really do like my black/stainless ComboJOE set up!  :-D

I'm not so sure that issue is totally resolved from feedback I see though philpom. If I ever switched brands for one reason or another, I would go with Primo, but I would make sure they would stand behind any and all dome/hinge issues.  I've already done the BGE thing. Those are the only three brands in the world of kamados that interest me.