Let's all take a step back

Mmmmm

John Setzler, at zero cost to us and at a tremendous cost in time and effort to himself, has provided an unbiased forum for members of the kamado community to bounce ideas, ask questions, and share success stories of Kamado cooking with others of the same interest. I believe I can speak for each and every member, John, when I express sincere thanks for your vision and efforts here.

For those of us who participate here, I believe we owe it to John and to ourselves to take an objective look at what this board is all about. Given the fact that there are subforums for every brand of kamado it seems obvious to me that the site was founded with the intent that kamado owners of any brand could happily, freely talk with enthusiasm about their cooker without being sucked into a "Ford vs Chevy" discussion and without being belittled by others with a "mine's better than yours" attitude. The fact that the site name uses the word "kamado" as opposed to a particular brand or type of kamado clearly illustrates the intent of the site.

We all share the same passion for good BBQ and the equipment we use to accomplish the job is truly irrelevant. There is no disparity in the quality of cooking between the owners of different brands, no matter how true the arguments of quality, performance, and value are. I think we all know, if we are honest about it, where our equipment stacks up against the others, and there's no reason be be uncomfortable if my cooker isn't the absolute best cooker out there. After all, it's the cook, not the cooker.

When I joined this site quite some time ago I was honestly amazed at the sense of camaraderie here among kamado owners, seasoned old salts and beginners, Akorn and Komodo Kamado owners alike. Other than an occasional newbie or tire kicker doing his research, the subject of which kamado was best for the person involved seldom came up.

Recently, actually only very recently, I am troubled to see the type of bickering, chest pounding, and flat out arguing about the merits of owning Brand A vs Brand B that I am seeing here. Honestly, folks, does it matter? Ask yourself that question again, and answer honestly: Does it matter to you what kind of cooker another person 1000 miles away owns, why he bought it, and what he likes about it? Does it matter? I truly hate to see the mellow, positive atmosphere of this forum continually stained with these pointless, endless debates that we all know will never get anywhere.

Another thing we all need to realize is that, from time to time, we are all wrong on some point, even if it is hard to admit. I would like to call on everyone to find in themselves the ability to be wrong. It's not that hard, and we don't always have to change our own mind necessarily, but we must realize we are wrong if we think we are so right that we owe it to others to change their mind for them. We deceive ourselves. It won't happen. And the result of that, I'll call it like it is, arrogance, is a constant butting of heads. Stating our opinions is perfectly OK. Becoming a self proclaimed "smartest person in the room" and pressing our viewpoints to the last man standing is counterproductive to everything but the overstoked ego of the person possessing it. A good debate involves presenting every possible viewpoint so that those involved and those listening in can have enough information to draw their own knowledgeable conclusion. A good debate will seldom if ever end in a single answer for the entire populace. This holds true in all aspects of life, from politics to religion to buying automobiles and kamados. If we can present our viewpoints and leave them to stand or fall on their own merits, we not only provide valuable food for thought for others, but we also open our mind to the possibility that I might be given another viewpoint worthy of consideration. We need to think of others' opinions as gifts that we are free to adopt or dismiss as we feel would be beneficial, not as adversarial darts that are thrown to unseat me from my throne.

I think I make myself clear. In the spirit of Kamado Guru and out of respect for the vision of its founder, my suggestion is that we take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Let's go back to the positivity of sharing and enjoying each other, our views, our successes, our advice, tips, tricks, and so forth, and leave the negativity and infighting behind. Let us not even begin down the path of tearing the site down from the inside out, and also let us not forget that John has the ability to take this site off the server without a moment's notice if he ever gets frustrated with our inability to comport ourselves in a respectable fashion.

Cheers to all gurus! It's a beautiful day out there. Let's go hustle up some world class grub on our kamados!

Thanks for your post. Long before I bought my Vision, I had (and still have) a small BGE. I joined the Eggheader's Forum, and I learned a whole lot about ceramic cooking. 85% of the folks that posted there were great folks, and I learned a lot from them. There was, and still is, however, a small but vocal group there who were rabid grill enthusiasts. They seem(ed) to get a kick out of stirring the pot. This is a big reason why I don't participate on that forum too often, anymore.

Hey, I have have been as guilty of this as anyone here. You become loyal to your product line, that's human nature I like to think I have learned to take a step back, however. I would encourage others who engage to do the same. 

I personally value other people's views on Ford/Chevy, Brands A or B, politics, guns, Ray Rice, domestic violence, etc. I may not agree with them but I respect their opinions. Eliminating "The Cooler" would be one way of curtailing these threads, but I personally don't want to see that happen. That being said I could also live without it. I feel that if someone is that threatened by another person's viewpoint,  they are a pretty weak individual to being with. That's my take....agree or disagree, I could care less!!!   :-D

I feel that if someone is that threatened by another person's viewpoint, they are a pretty weak individual .....D

seriously, do some peeps stay up at night shivering over an opinion that wasn't in line with theirs?

No. However, in the course of the past 4 years, the site Admin has made his goals and expectations of the site abundantly clear. For certain people to just blatantly disregard this is pretty disrespectful. 

I feel that if someone is that threatened by another person's viewpoint, they are a pretty weak individual .....D

seriously, do some peeps stay up at night shivering over an opinion that wasn't in line with theirs?

No. However, in the course of the past 4 years, the site Admin has made his goals and expectations of the site abundantly clear. For certain people to just blatantly disregard this is pretty disrespectful. 

It makes it worse when it is a Moderator of the site. 

I tend to shiver when I forget to close the sliding door while frying bacon inside. 

It makes it worse when it is a Moderator of the site. 

I feel he should be removed. Anyone who couldn't see through that fiasco is an idiot!

I'm with Andy on appreciating different views and comparison. Some people can't handle that and either take immediate defense by discrediting the anti-view or just result to bullying/namecalling etc. I know when I'm wrong, I also know when people think they understand what I'm trying to say and keep pushing their view down my throat. It is also clearly obvious to me that we have a very broad spectrum of backgrounds here from simple folk such as myself to very wealthy and intelligent individuals. I don't mind being taken to school when I'm wrong but don't be a smug jack@ss about it. And just to be clear, I'm not namecalling anyone, I'm just politely reminding you not to be that guy/gal.

It's been almost three years since I joined this forum.I really love it here.I don't get involve in all of these discussions,that are put on here.That's not what i'm here for.I did get involved with the Ray Rice post,because it is close to my heart.I admit,I can't cook like so many on here can.but I enjoy looking at the food that was cooked.I'm sure that their are plenty of sites on the net,that will welcome the ones on here,that enjoy bashing other people's views.It's Christmas Time,Time to enjoy family and friends.

It's been almost three years since I joined this forum.I really love it here.I don't get involve in all of these discussions,that are put on here.That's not what i'm here for.I did get involved with the Ray Rice post,because it is close to my heart.I admit,I can't cook like so many on here can.but I enjoy looking at the food that was cooked.I'm sure that their are plenty of sites on the net,that will welcome the ones on here,that enjoy bashing other people's views.It's Christmas Time,Time to enjoy family and friends.

you may not cook as well... but looks like you have fishing down to a science

It's been almost three years since I joined this forum.I really love it here.I don't get involve in all of these discussions,that are put on here.That's not what i'm here for.

That's my point D.S.!....if you don't want to read it, or engage in it,  you don't have to! Move on to something else....and let the rest of us morons have our fun.  :-D

you may not cook as well... but looks like you have fishing down to a science

The heck I do.lolI always get out fished.lol