Cleaning Grill After 1st Low and Slow

I cooked a 13lb brisket and 3 racks of ribs. Grill is a mess! What is the best way to clean it up?

Do a few pizzas? Clean it well with a brush first of course... scoop out huge chunks.

I have honestly thought about a car wash once or so a year!

How should i clean the grate?

My best grate cleaning results have come from high heat followed by a wire grill brush. Get ur grill up around 550-600 degrees and hold for at least 20 minutes. Longer is better. Then just brush off the charred bits with a grill brush. It's not a bad idea to wipe it down with some vegetable oil, peanut oil, lard, or crisco after u do this because the high heat usually burns off most of the seasoning from ur grate.

I cooked a 13lb brisket and 3 racks of ribs. Grill is a mess! What is the best way to clean it up?

After a low 'n slow, do a hot n' fast... along with a good wire brush and a lot of elbow grease. :)

After a couple low and slows I'll do something high heat and right when I finish I clean (with wire brass brush) and apply a light coat of canola oil. Am I seasoning too much? Is that even possible?

There is no such thing as overseasoning cast iron. You can season it wrong, and it gets sticky, but like changing the oil in your car- it can never hurt to do it too often. I had someone tell me you should replace your grates every few years (in a Weber) but I dont see why.

After a couple low and slows I'll do something high heat and right when I finish I clean (with wire brass brush) and apply a light coat of canola oil. Am I seasoning too much? Is that even possible?

There is no such thing as overseasoning cast iron. You can season it wrong, and it gets sticky, but like changing the oil in your car- it can never hurt to do it too often. I had someone tell me you should replace your grates every few years (in a Weber) but I dont see why.

That part scares me! The dome thermometer reads 500F when I'm done cooking and I scrape everything off but I don't see any shiny parts (I assume that is a good thing) and then with some paper towel I dip in a bowl of canola oil (I heard not to use EVOL as it burns faster and has lots of smoke) and give a generous wipe down of the entire grate. Is that good way or should I do something else?

That part scares me! The dome thermometer reads 500F when I'm done cooking and I scrape everything off but I don't see any shiny parts (I assume that is a good thing) and then with some paper towel I dip in a bowl of canola oil (I heard not to use EVOL as it burns faster and has lots of smoke) and give a generous wipe down of the entire grate. Is that good way or should I do something else?

That sounds right to me, cast iron loses its shine when heated, don't worry about that. The way to season wrong is to over oil/grease the cast iron one the first season, not while conditioning. You should only put enough oil to darken the surface, it shouldn't be dripping, then heat to season. After the initial seasoning, feel free to apply oil as needed.

Remember, cast iron is porous and when heated it will absorb oils. You want it to soak up enough oil over a period of time that it permanently is non stick. If you over oil it gets sticky. Now, it will still cook fine and be non stick, but its hader to clean.