AussieQ

Brining Chicken Wings - how long?

I'm looking at cooking some chicken wings as part of Christmas lunch, and I'd like to brine them first.

Trouble is, I've not brined chicken wings before!

How long should they be in the brine for? Is there a maximum time? Could they survive brining for over 24 hours?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I never have and can't see why. I cook wings at 350-400 for 60-90 min. Never had a dry wing, either crispy or fall off the bone. I think of wings as ribs on a bird. Very forgiving.

Let me know how they turn out. Maybe I am wrong.

I probably wouldn't brine either, but a few hours of rub would be good.  What I have done is put them in buttermilk for a couple of hours, drain and then a rub.  However, the buttermilk bath would not give you as crispy a skin if that's what you're after .

Well, not brining them would save me some time and hassle. I've cooked them before without brining, and they were fine. I just rubbed them and let them sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours, and they were fine.

Thanks for all the advice!

I agree with CC, don't use as much salt at a whole bird and 3-4 hours should be ok. You can probably hit the brine with a heavier flavor profile like garlic, lemon juice, pepper, etc.

I probably wouldn't brine either, but a few hours of rub would be good.  What I have done is put them in buttermilk for a couple of hours, drain and then a rub.  However, the buttermilk bath would not give you as crispy a skin if that's what you're after .

I love buttermilk.